• Register
  • Help

Topic: The IRS is Big Brother

Share/Bookmark

The IRS is Big Brother

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I had the scare of my life yesterday.

As an overseas music teacher I don't have to pay Federal taxes, only State. However, I stupidly filled out the exclusion section wrong and they wrote me a letter back saying I owed $13,575 in Federal Taxes.

I promptly phoned them and explained my situation. They told me to re-file to correct the matter. I wanted to be sure I didn't mess up so I hired a consultant to re-file for me, and then sent my ammended return by DHL courier to the IRS.

About a month later, I recieved a very threatening letter saying "Pay Now!"

So I immediatly phoned and spoke to this idiotic woman who was rude and said they have not recieved my ammended return and that I should refile AGAIN! I was pretty upset, and demanded to talk to someone higher up the food chain, but she said this was not possible. I finally basically yelled at her to put me on the phone with someone for assistance. She put me on hold, and when she returned she said sheepishly, "Well, it can take up to 8 weeks for the processing. Don't worry, call back in a month."

The threatening letters stopped. I didn't hear anything back from them so I assumed things were sorted out.

Here is where it gets scary. After finding out that my Platinum Credit card had been suddenly cancelled, I looked on-line at my bank account and discoverd to my complete horror that the IRS had (without any warning) gone into two of my personal savings accounts and withdrawn $13,575!!!!

I was completely stunned. I died a death waiting until 8:00 AM when they would open. When I reached someone that morning, I demanded an explanation as to how they could take this action.

After a long wait and hearing much typing on the other end, the IRS rep. fianally says "Oh, Geez. We got your ammended return but someone here processed it incorrectly. Our mistake. We will reverse the tax levy. Everything is fine you don't owe us anything."

I always thought our personal accounts were private. Apparently they are not. Isn't this some sort of violation of rights or property?

Re: The IRS is Big Brother

Quote Originally Posted by dubaifox
    I always thought our personal accounts were private. Apparently they are not. Isn't this some sort of violation of rights or property?
    Nope. The IRS can pretty much do anything they want to collect on what they deem is back taxes. Seize your bank accounts. Withdraw it from pay checks, etc...etc...

Glad you got it worked out in the end.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Go Back to forum