• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Kontakt player upgrade to Kontakt 2 - UK

Share/Bookmark

GPO Kontakt player upgrade to Kontakt 2 - UK

Hi everyone,

I have read a few threads about Kontakt 2, but I am still a bit confused (uneducated ?) about the following:

1. Is there an upgrade path from GPO Kontakt player to Kontakt 2?
    2. Does GPO work with Kontakt 2 or are there some unresolved issues?
    3. Other than having additional features, does Kontakt 2 work with GPO and Sonar in exactly the same way as the Kontakt player?
    4. Can I mix and match GPO samples with the samples that are shipped with Kontakt 2?
    5. Can I purchase Kontakt 2 from the Native Instruments website for delivery to the UK, or do I have to use a UK dealer - if so can anyone recommend a good one?
    6. Is Kontakt 2 a useful addition to my setup? (I have no sample software other than GPO at the moment).

Many thanks for any responses.

Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: GPO Kontakt player upgrade to Kontakt 2 - UK

Hi Richard,

I can offer my views on a couple of the questions but not all...
    1. Pass
    2. I think there are currently some issues which I am sure will be resolved soon. I thnk there has been a post regarding one issue recently on this forum. All my current projects are using V1.5 for GPO sounds.
    3. I would guess so but I use Cubase SX so I cannot be sure
    4. Yes. The VSL samples sit alongside GPO very well.
    5. I purchased my original Kontakt version in the UK, but have upgraded ever since from the NI website. I think it comes just down to a cost comparison on this one. Suppliers I have been happy with, I am not saying they are any better than any others, just ones I have used without problems are: Turnkey, dv247.com (They also have a shop in Brum), Thoman (In Germany but delivery was still only a couple of days), gak.co.uk...
    6. I would say so if you can justify the cost. It opens up the whole world of samples and allows you to explore other genres of music rather than just orchestral. Some good freebies pop up as well like the BelaDMedia music box.

Hope that helps a bit

Ian

Ian, thanks for your response. I now have some answers myself from Native Instruments:

1. There is an upgrade path to Kontakt 2 from the GPO player - http://www.nativeinstruments.de/inde...il_us&prid=532 - even though I can find no categoric statement to this effect on the website, NI have confirmed it by e-mail.

3. Having been given this link by NI, it would appear that I can purchase direct from NU without having to go through a UK dealer (as already confirmed by Ian anyway)

One final question (I think) - until the "GPO compatability bugs" are fixed in Kontakt 2, presumably I can run the GPO Kontakt player and Kontakt 2 in Sonar (as VST/DXi plugins) at the same time?
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    One final question (I think) - until the "GPO compatability bugs" are fixed in Kontakt 2, presumably I can run the GPO Kontakt player and Kontakt 2 in Sonar (as VST/DXi plugins) at the same time?
    I do that with Sonar 3.1.1.
    sfiks

Thanks sfiks,

I think I'll be placing that order tomorrow.

Richard N.

Go Back to forum