• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Say hello to a new artist: J.A.B

Share/Bookmark

Say hello to a new artist: J.A.B

Hello guys,

Today i will receive Garritan Personal Orchestra for the PC! I have read reviews and i've heard demos on this forum and on the official GPO site, and i must say... i'm impressed! For such a low price such good sound quality! Now i can finally let my imagination run wild and compose beautiful melody's and exciting rythms! But before i post some mp3 demos on this forum, i will experiment a little and see if it is easier to use then East West Quantum Leap ... because that was a pain in the arse and it was eating my CPU and RAM usage like a hungry monster! But because i have 512 MB RAM and maybe expanding it to 1 GB RAM, it should be no problem! A Intel Pentium 4 2 Ghz should be more then enough to meet my needs! But if you excuse me, i will wait in excitement on my own copy of Garritan Personal Orchestra!

Smile Re: Say hello to a new artist: J.A.B

J.A.B.
    welcome to this forum.
    We will waiting to hear some of your music.
    But before you have to enjoy the show that GPO can offer you!!!!
    GOOD GPO TO YOU!!!!!!

Best
    Roberto

Re: Say hello to a new artist: J.A.B

Thanks for your reply beach! I will post a reply as soon as GPO arrives!

Quote Originally Posted by J.A.B
    But because i have 512 MB RAM and maybe expanding it to 1 GB RAM, it should be no problem! A Intel Pentium 4 2 Ghz should be more then enough to meet my needs!
    Wellcome aboard J.A.B.

You seem to have a great faith in your specs. I'll just warn you, that you might be in for a little surprise, depending on what you are gonna do with GPO. GPO Studio alone eats 300 MB before you even start loading any patches. You'll have more succes if you use GPO as a VST plugin in a sequencer, but even then 512 MB is only for (very) small ensembles. And I can tell you, that my Celeron 1.8 GHz overclocked to 2.09 GHz is steaming when I sequence a piano score with only 1 Steinway patch loaded as VST.

I plan to upgrade to a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz and 2 GB RAM as soon as my lottery ticket comes out . It's the only way to get things working, I'm afraid.

Some goon news, Nickie, is that you don't have to go quite so far. I'll be blunt - that particular Celeron CPU you have is THE WORST ONE MADE for the P4 platform. They improved at 2.0GHz and better, improved much more with the Celeron"D".

Let us know what motherboard you have, and I'll tell you what CPUs you can put on it, and direct you to the best deal to find it. Somewhere around 2.4-2.8GHz will be only a little over a hundred yankee bucks and a far better deal than the 3.2!
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

WELCOME J.A.B. !

1 gig of ram is needed too.
    dpdan

Thanks for your replys guys, i appreciate it! Sorry i couldn't post here, because i had a family event today. But when i came home 15 minutes ago, GPO arrived! Now i'm holding GPO in my hands, praying to god that i don't have that RAM problem i had when i used EWQLSO, because when i loaded only 3 samples my CPU and RAM usage was 100%! Now i'm going to install it and experiment with it!

Quote Originally Posted by J.A.B
    Hello guys,

Today i will receive Garritan Personal Orchestra for the PC! I have read reviews and i've heard demos on this forum and on the official GPO site, and i must say... i'm impressed! For such a low price such good sound quality! Now i can finally let my imagination run wild and compose beautiful melody's and exciting rythms! But before i post some mp3 demos on this forum, i will experiment a little and see if it is easier to use then East West Quantum Leap ... because that was a pain in the arse and it was eating my CPU and RAM usage like a hungry monster! But because i have 512 MB RAM and maybe expanding it to 1 GB RAM, it should be no problem! A Intel Pentium 4 2 Ghz should be more then enough to meet my needs! But if you excuse me, i will wait in excitement on my own copy of Garritan Personal Orchestra!
    Welcome to the forum J.A.B.

Glad GPO got to you and hope you enjoy it. GPO also uses the same Native Instruments engine as EW, however it has been optimized to run in RAM. The minimum RAM requirement is 1 GB and 512 is below the spec, but you should still be able to get a fair number of instruments until you expand the RAM.

There are other things to do to maximize performance. First, load only dry instruments. Next, raise your buffers on your sound card, try 1,024 if that is available. If you use Ambience reverb, adjust the CPU/Quality setting down. I hope this helps.

Looking forward to hearing the music you will make with GPO.

Gary Garritan

Thanks Garritan!

Someone PMed me that 512 MB RAM was enough to load a full orchestra, i didn't try it yet, but what i can say is that i'm impressed and that the sound quality for such a low price: extroadinary! The ease of use is great and the compatibility is also perfect! It runs great on my system. That notation program Overture is also very good! Since i have a keyboard, but don't have a midi cable, i must compose my music with a mouse and that is... MUCH work, but it is very fun to do! GPO is the best of the best and it gets a 10!

BlueMax,
    My motherboard is an ASUS P4P800 SE, that supports socket 478 processors with hyperthreading, dual channel DDR RAM and 800 MHz FSB. I don't think any of the Celeron processors fall in this categori. You are right, that the new Celeron D's are a lot faster than my old choo-choo. Problem is (on top of the above mentioned), they don't have much L2 cache. 4 times less than a P4 Prescot actually. So on the bottom line a P4 3.0 or 3.2 Prescot is gonna be substantially faster than even a Celeron D 3.06. They are also more expensive, of course - 150-200% the price of Celeron D345 3.06, but I'll rather wait a little longer and get the extra money for a P4, than risk struggling with a slow computer again, which I am sick and tired of.

But thanks anyway for your concern.

Go Back to forum