• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Share/Bookmark

Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

This could be a good move for Apple. But it would seem to throw away alot of development for PPC processors they've made over the years.
    I guess we will find out on Monday.

Here a link to the story.

Cheers,
    JS

Re: Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

I posted about this on the GPO Forum yesterday.

There's a link an article on CNET about it - http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=34837

Quote Originally Posted by js33
    This could be a good move for Apple. But it would seem to throw away alot of development for PPC processors they've made over the years.
    I guess we will find out on Monday.

Here a link to the story.

Cheers,
    JS

Not to steer anyone away from Gary's forum, but I beat you by half an hour.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35215

I sure hope this isn't true, because the idea of throwing everything out and starting yet again is not at all pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Not to steer anyone away from Gary's forum, but I beat you by half an hour.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35215

I sure hope this isn't true, because the idea of throwing everything out and starting yet again is not at all pleasant.
    Nick,
    You forum steerer awayer you

Your link was today 06-04-2005, 02:13 PM
    The post on the GPO Forum was yesterday 06-03-2005, 08:53 PM
    (And the first news about it was posted on the same thread 10 days ago: 05-23-2005, 08:36 AM)

Nick, you need to read the GPO Forum more often for the latest up to the minute news.
    (Hint: here's my source: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35130)

Still can be rumor. We'll see on Monday.

Gary

PS: I hope it is true because we may see lower prices, better performance and compatibility in the long run.
    However, we may not see any products until 2007.

I meant my post was half an hour before the one at the beginning of this thread.

The first round of current rumors about this - that is, not counting the ones that have been going around for years - was the 23rd. And I knew about them at 8:35.

But this CNET report sounds very serious, complete with a schedule for phasing in the new chips. I like the idea of cheaper and more powerful, but the idea of starting over with a new round of incompatibility - in the short run - sounds like a horrendous PITA. It's not just the music software, it's all the little utilities you install and forget about.

Well that's the problem guys, you didn't post in the main forum(this one).

Yes I heard about it about two weeks ago when the Wall Street Journal mentioned it but I, as well as the rest of the computer world, didn't believe it at that time but when the Cnet article confirmed it on Friday it seems to be true now. We will see on Monday.

Cheers,
    JS

AP news is now carrying this story.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8AHR16G0.html

John Z.

While Apple is venturing into new territory, I just read that Transmeta may be going out of business according to "A Farewell to Transmeta" in Business 2.0.

Several years ago Transmeta was the buzz when Linus Torvalds (Mr. Linux) was involved with this pioneering startup company. The company's Crusoe family of microprocessors promised lower power consumption and heat generation, enabling the creation of laptops with longer battery life. I bought an Ultraportable with one of the Transmeta Crusoe chips and loved the 8 hour battery life. I remember running GigaStudio several years ago on my Transmeta-powered ultraportable with great results.

Intel responded quickly and aggressively with its own line of power-saving chips. Transmeta certainly changed portable computers and I hope they survive.

The times they are a changing.

Gary Garritan

A good financial move or not, I hate to see yet another architecture shift on the Macs. Switching to Intel's x86 chips is a significant risk: it would force Apple's programmers to rewrite its software in order to adapt to the new processor. The previous changes (classic to X, then all X upgrades) never failed to frustrate a large percentage of their users, including me. To prevent loss of data on USB2 drives, severe instability of all main applications and other reasons even forced me to de-install Tiger after a week of total frustration with it. Refund request was denied. Will we get the same frustration over and over?
    The once so aggressive anti-Wintel platform will now have to choose a new mantra: Anti-Windows. Knowing that Gates owns a serious part of Apple's shares in exchange for Mac to run MS IE and MS Office, that will also be a temporary marketing trick, I guess.
    Or will the world become better when, in 2007, we finally get the solution we all waited for: Mac OS Z; a combination of the best Longhorn and Mac code, letting you port every application from your PC to Mac and vice versa. Nothing wrong with dreaming about it.
    Anyway, Steve Jobs shows competence in shaking the world to keep his developers conference in the news. That is a good thing.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Thumbs down Re: Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

As a Power Mac user, I`m really worried about this.
    I don`t want to go through the OS9 > OSX change again.
    And it will defenitly be harder then OS9 to OSX.
    Because there going to change the Core of the computer.
    I don`t mind Apple releasing OS`s frequently, but changing
    the CPU is a different thing. The software developers (companies)
    that have enough energy might follow Apples path,
    but the developers who haven`t will stop. And what do users
    do if the software they want to use stops at OSX, and some other
    software that they use goes to OS "XI" or "Z" or what ever.
    As a user I WILL be really worried and frustrated, and can`t stay with
    Apple anymore if this news is true and officially released by Apple.
    I`ve been a Mac user for many years,
    but maybe its time for me to move on to Windows...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast