• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pentium 4

Share/Bookmark

Pentium 4

I am considering upgrading to a Pentium 4 processor system. Has anyone gone this route yet, and if so, does GigaStudio 160 work well on it?

Re: Pentium 4

I don\'t know if this guy is whacked, but I stumbled across this web page recently.
    http://www.emulators.com/pentium4.htm

You may want to check it out. Anybody feel free to let me know that this guy is full of it.

Josh

I think you\'ll find this a little more rounded...
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1360

But the short form is no, don\'t do it yet. Intel will soon be changing the form factor of the socket.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 01-26-2001).]

Well IMHO it seems as if the PIV is lacking in performance as per both of these reviews. I am really not interested in keeping up with the latest and greatest. I am currently running on a PIII 600E Coppermine with 589 Megs of PC133 ram on Windows 98. I run Gigasampler and Cakewalk 9.03 on the same machine and I am very satisfied with my Gigasampler performance. My only area of concern is with processing audio tracks in real time. I can run quite a few audio effects in real time but I eventually will overtask the CPU and experience dropouts. I don\'t like to use destructive editing but I am forced to in order to complete and finalize a song. Since Windows 2000 supports multiple processors, I envision running two Athlon 1.2 MHZ processors along with 1.024Megs of PC133 ram. This sort of power using current technology could quite possible allow me to be able to process a song in it\'s entirety without using destructive editing thereby avoiding jumping on the latest processor bandwagon. My concern with this plan is that I have heard in the past that the AMD processors are not as good for audio applications as the Pentiums. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I am to understand that it has something to do with something called \"decimal floating point architecture\"? Is this really an issue or merely Intel propoganda because every time I read a review, it seems that AMD is kicking the crap out of Intel not only in performance but also in price. If a system such as I envision with the multiple 1.2 MHZ Athlons and Windows 2000 will allow me to run all the effects I want without dropouts and bluescreens similar to what the Pro Tools guys experience, I will use it forever without regard to what comes out in the future. I still use my Pentium 75 MHZ for word processing and haven\'t upgraded!Peace.

Does Gigastudio support win 2000? I don\'t think it does. If it does, does it support dual processors? I kind of doubt that. It may be that 2000 is smart enough to give one processor to a sequencer and one to the sampler.

I know that win2000 can do some splitting of load between 2 processors (I run it on a dual system) but I would be afraid that a lot of gigas code probably has to bypass the operating system (in order to control latency)

Anyway just my random speculation

It does not support Windows 2000. Nemesys has talked about an upgrade that will work on Windows XP (formerly codenamed Whistler).

I stand corrected. There are presently no AMD motherboards supporting dual processors. My bad. Peace.

Go Back to forum