• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Vertikal / Rain Piano / Etc?

Share/Bookmark

Vertikal / Rain Piano / Etc?

I am looking to get a sampled upright piano for Tom-Waits-ish bluesy songwriting. I've been considering Rain Piano for a while, and then Vertikal came out.

Can anyone tell me how they compare to each other? Any other upright pianos worth considering? Is Vertikal still available for $50?

Thanks,
    chris.

Re: Vertikal / Rain Piano / Etc?

Just an observation...
    I have Rain Piano...tried out the Vertikal demo....and honestly couldnt tell much of a difference....the timbre is very similiar...as is the attack of both pianos. I even took the Vertikal gigapulse files...stacked them ontop of the Rain piano...and the PU/PD resonance matches pretty well.

They both sound great...though not my ideal upright piano sound...I enjoy playing the Rain piano.

Perhaps Worra could give you precise info on the exact differences.

I think there is still a market for a really bluesy...moderately outta tune jangly piano...the kind of piano you'd hear on an old Ramsey Lewis album. But I applaud Worra for beginning to produce products that reach in that direction.

JPS

I'd say the Rain Paino will get you closer to that sound that most others out there. Its still not dirty enough for me.

I'd also recommend the Pump Organ (again not dirty enough, but I likes me samples dirty) as well. Both are well worth what they're going for.

Dirty...I totally agree....I want to be able to smell the bar's cigarette smoke in my piano sounds

I think the only way I'm going to get an upright piano sound that I'm totally happy with...is to do it myself...I would take the same approach that ToonTrack did with their recent DKFHS Custom & Vintage...old upright...beat to hell...with an amazing sound...vintage mics & compressor...

I also would also prefer more resonance in the gigapulse files...Im not sure if this is a limitation of resonance modeling or my manipulation of gigapulse...but I'm still not happy with the way staccato notes sound in GS3...want it to ring more...like on my real upright at home.

Anywho....oh oh....Vince Guaraldi...love the way his piano sounds also...

JPS

I was playing with RAIN PIANO in Kontakt 2, assigning different scripts to it, specifically(I think) the Randomize Pitch and Humanizer. Talk about sounding out of tune. Then, add some chorus/detune....for even more overkill.
    I would have to recommend rain piano, but I don't have the Vertikal.
    I would think you could take one of the cheaper(smaller Grand) pianos that come with these soft samplers or even a free piano from the web, and just start tweaking and applying......scripts in K2(for example).

enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by J.P. Schwinghamer
    Just an observation...
    I have Rain Piano...tried out the Vertikal demo....and honestly couldnt tell much of a difference....the timbre is very similiar...as is the attack of both pianos. I even took the Vertikal gigapulse files...stacked them ontop of the Rain piano...and the PU/PD resonance matches pretty well.

They both sound great...though not my ideal upright piano sound...I enjoy playing the Rain piano.

Perhaps Worra could give you precise info on the exact differences.

I think there is still a market for a really bluesy...moderately outta tune jangly piano...the kind of piano you'd hear on an old Ramsey Lewis album. But I applaud Worra for beginning to produce products that reach in that direction.

JPS
    Hi!

Glad you liked the pianos! First of all, it's two different pianos. THe Rain Piano is a "Nordiska Pianofabriken", a Swedish piano, the Vertikal is a Yamaha M5J.
    They are both recorded in the same studio using the same michrophones, so the might have the same kind of timbre.
    The Rain Piano was tuned in a special way. Where there's three strings, one of them has been slightly de-tuned, giving the Rain Piano a very special sound. It's not out of tune, but has a lot of overtones.
    The Vertikal is tuned more "normal"
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Smile Re: Vertikal / Rain Piano / Etc?

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I am looking to get a sampled upright piano for Tom-Waits-ish bluesy songwriting.
    Any other upright pianos worth considering?
    Thanks,
    chris.
    Hi Chris, you might want to check out our Ultimate Upright Piano collection.
    It comes with 2 Uprights, one's a Steinway Upright and the other is a 1908 Clinton. You can read the 5 star review from Sound On Sound on our website www.vintaudio.com and alot of demos to listen too as well

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio
    www.vintaudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    Is Vertikal still available for $50?

Thanks,
    chris.
    No, the first 100 that had that price are gone, but if you preorder the Vertikal before june 15:th, you pay only $75. Normal price is $150.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Lightbulb Re: Vertikal / Rain Piano / Etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky
    Hi Chris, you might want to check out our Ultimate Upright Piano collection.
    It comes with 2 Uprights, one's a Steinway Upright and the other is a 1908 Clinton. You can read the 5 star review from Sound On Sound on our website www.vintaudio.com and alot of demos to listen too as well

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio
    www.vintaudio.com
    Here's the direct link to the demos : http://www.vintaudio.com/GUPCDemos.htm

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio
    www.vintaudio.com

I have the Vintaudio uprights and they are great. I have also ordered the Vertikal so I guess I'm saying that buy both products and get three great uprights.

Go Back to forum