• Register
  • Help

Topic: Useless topic...

Share/Bookmark

Useless topic...

But I just wanted to say I'm digging The Incredibles soundtrack now and it's freakin' awesome. It really makes me crave for the Big Band library.. Haaa those brass are so darn powerful and cool !!! I hope the same philosophy from GPO will be applied to Big Band so we can fully create custom brass ensembles!

(Sorry if this is off topic, feel free to move/delete the post )
    News & Music here.

Thumbs up Re: Useless topic...

On the contrary! Post like these are interesting and hey, I like hearing when people are enjoying something especially a type of music! Personally speaking, I enjoyed reading your post and now I'll have to give it a listen as well!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Styxx

Re: Useless topic...

Did John Barry get a credit for that soundtrack?

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

If you own/rent the DVD of the movie there is (among other cool stuff) a nice section on the music for the movie. Unlike a lot of soundtracks recorded these days, this one was recorded with the whole orchestra in the studio at the same time!

Check it out if you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by loogoo
    If you own/rent the DVD of the movie there is (among other cool stuff) a nice section on the music for the movie. Unlike a lot of soundtracks recorded these days, this one was recorded with the whole orchestra in the studio at the same time!

Check it out if you get a chance.

Yeah ! And it was also recorded completely analog ! They said it gets the brass to sound awesome... If someone with sufficient knowledge in sound engineering could explain me why, I'd appreciate Because I have a tendancy to believe that you can edit/fake anything with digital nowadays...

Markleford => Yeah I know what you mean You could the same for Austin Powers 's music as well Dig the soundtrack from Incredibles and watch the film 20 times like I already did and you'll find that the soundtrack fits incredibly well each frame of it I kind of agree with you anyway.

News & Music here.

Well said!

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    There's no way you can hear tape hiss when you "slam the tape hard," i.e. record way over 0 dB, which you can't do in the digital domain.

My 2 cents,

Ern
    Hi Ern,
    I know about slamming level to tape all to well, I can relate! It is a preferred method in order to stay away from the noise floor that is always lurking in the analog tape recording environment. Of course using Dolby or DBX noise reduction helps to reduce the background noise, (hiss) but many engineers didn't like DBX because "it pumped" and that's because the DBX units were not set up properly, and Dolby helped a little.

You are right when you say "you can't record over 0 db in digital".... but there is no reason to. Digital recording has a significantly higher dynamic range compared to any analog recording devices. With digital recording, you do not have to push the levels to the max and risk unwanted distortion. This is especially true during live recordings where you don't get a second chance.

I think there will always be the argument... which is better, analog or digital, but I always get a chuckle when I hear someone talking about how warm a recording sounds because it was recorded analog, and they are saying this after listening to it from their Compact Digital Audio Disc.

I'm sorry, brass does not sound better on tape, that's just my opinion though. Everybody has a favorite that's for sure, and mine is digital.
    I never want to go back there. It may be hard to believe after the sarcastic rolling eyes, but I do respect others that feel differently than I.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi Ern,
    I know about slamming level to tape all to well, I can relate! It is a preferred method in order to stay away from the noise floor that is always lurking in the analog tape recording environment. Of course using Dolby or DBX noise reduction helps to reduce the background noise, (hiss) but many engineers didn't like DBX because "it pumped" and that's because the DBX units were not set up properly, and Dolby helped a little.

You are right when you say "you can't record over 0 db in digital".... but there is no reason to. Digital recording has a significantly higher dynamic range compared to any analog recording devices. With digital recording, you do not have to push the levels to the max and risk unwanted distortion. This is especially true during live recordings where you don't get a second chance.

I think there will always be the argument... which is better, analog or digital, but I always get a chuckle when I hear someone talking about how warm a recording sounds because it was recorded analog, and they are saying this after listening to it from their Compact Digital Audio Disc.

I'm sorry, brass does not sound better on tape, that's just my opinion though. Everybody has a favorite that's for sure, and mine is digital.
    I never want to go back there. It may be hard to believe after the sarcastic rolling eyes, but I do respect others that feel differently than I.

Dan

Well, I guess you know that there are people who think FM radio doesn't sound right.

I remember one couple who complained to me that the previous tuner had destroyed the tone quality of their piano when he tuned it. The told me how lovely the tone was now that it had recovered from the damage. Since the piano sounded like it had not been tuned in 20 or so years, I recommended that if they like the piano as it sounded, don't tune it now.

Digital sound has come a long way since I first began working with it in 1965 or so. I will never forget the weight of the equipment!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    I will never forget the weight of the equipment!

Richard
    How could we ever forget that

Yep! It's probably why we both have RA
    Dan

I must agree with the Incredibles soundtrack. Great movie, too!

I only watched it 6 times, though, but you sure beat me!

-Chris

Go Back to forum