• Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Any one who is into jazz ?

Share/Bookmark

Any one who is into jazz ?

closed topic

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Any one who is into jazz ?

To me, computers are just another medium for expression, so if you want to perform realtime, nothing is stopping a person from doing so with a computer.

I personally don't happen to think that "jazzy" music generated by one person performing multiple parts on a computer is "jazz" in the most true sense of the word, because the very basis of the genre is the act of realtime improvisation. In my opinion, without that, the music may sound jazzy, but is not jazz in the strictest sense.

But, this is certainly a grey area. And bad jazz is bad jazz, whether it's played on a computer or in a hotel lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    ...the very basis of the genre is the act of realtime improvisation. In my opinion, without that, the music may sound jazzy, but is not jazz in the strictest sense.
    A person can still improvise when recording into the computer. And you could get different people to play different parts at different times. What really missing is that real-time magic of people dynamically working the tempo, dynamics and direction.

This applies to horn charts as well. A good section works like a team, but, as you know, you don't improvise multi-part harmonies. But the dynamics of the group still apply. There is still spontineity.

If a single person can learn to capture that spontineity and intention into a computer recording, they will have mastered the art!

-JF

I'm into it all the time and listen every day to a jazz station out of Canada. I've also played in a big band and a jazz combo for a number of years. As mentioned earlier, spontaneity is a huge factor in the freedom of playing jazz. When I listen to top jazz performer I’m at a loss as to how to fit all that personality, variations, spontaneity and much more into a computerized jazz piece. Personally, I feel Jazz uses more human element than any other genre and will present quite a challenge to even the most seasoned programmer.
    Just me 2 cents.
    Styxx

Hi,

if one uses the virtual approach to express Jazz, one must recycle their takes until all voices or midi tracks begin to converse. A very objective and patient demeanor is required.

Visit my website below..

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

I've been a jazz player for many years, though I also play a lot of other styles.

When I create parts for live performance (hotel lounge duo, keyboards and drums/vocals, we cover 30s-40s standards, R&B and soul music to Steely Dan, plus a couple originals; I'm about to start adding more original work to the mix) I typically start by creating an 'arrangement space', piano, bass, simplistic rhythm part, then do the bass, keys, leads, bass, keys, bg, leads, until playing any one part is an expressive component of the virtual orchestra I'm defined for this piece. Then I take out the parts I will play live (usually drums and piano, but I may have an electric piano pad part left in, as I'm playing acoustic piano with synth on top, so no decent live Rhodes sound) with Hammond organ at one venue, and way better piano at the other.

Live, I have left as much solo space as I wish, so what I'm playing live is jazz (or sometimes pop) without a live bassist, sometimes with additional orchestration. At the Monterey Jazz Festival several years ago, one of the big bands played with taped drummer - nobody complained. (But then, big band charts are always exactly the same, arrangement-wise, all that is supposed to change is the solo sections.)

In the studio, the process is the same, except that it's all recorded (of course.) I don't consider it 'jazz', but then they call Kenny G AND Acker Bilk 'jazz' in the music stores.

Improvisation is fundamental to my work, any orchestration is merely to support the improv platform. not the other way around. This holds whatever style of music I'm creating at the moment...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharmy
    when refering to jazz, what artisits or style are you considering?

Sharmy (ot)

nice to hear your voice...it's been sometime..hope the greenbacks have kept you busy!

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

"when refering to jazz, what artists or style are you considering?"

No doubt, main stream stuff:

Sonny Simmons, Cecil Taylor, Anthony Braxton, Glenn Spearman, Charles Gayle

(only kidding)

Sam Rivers?

Dave Brubeck?!

I personally don't happen to think that "jazzy" music generated by one person performing multiple parts on a computer is "jazz" in the most true sense of the word, because the very basis of the genre is the act of realtime improvisation. In my opinion, without that, the music may sound jazzy, but is not jazz in the strictest sense.
    So then a solo performance is jazz?

To me it's jazz if it sounds like jazz. But if you consider jazz a state of mind, then it's not.

Go Back to forum