• Register
  • Help

Topic: A dangerous chance for a great sample!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up A dangerous chance for a great sample!

There is a brewing a nice Thunderstorm over Beeffalo right now. I'm going to put some mics out and record some samples. I'll post what I get.
    Styxx

Re: A dangerous chance for a great sample!

Styxx,

Be careful and remember to bring your lightening rod!!

Can't wait to hear it. Styxx Concerto for Thunderstorm in B 'folo.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    There is a brewing a nice Thunderstorm over Beeffalo right now. I'm going to put some mics out and record some samples. I'll post what I get.

Looks like they are illusive yet may be in for another tonight! I just love the sound. My wife thinks I am absolutely out of my mind running around the house hooking up mic cables all over! I wonder what gave her a clue?
    I wonder if DPDAN has any suggestions for mics. I use several on each side of the house. Wish I had some more to experiment with!
    Styxx

Well, you want to get as close to the source of the sound as possible for best recording. So, I would suggest attaching your mic to the end of a long metal pole. Then stand on your roof and hold the pole as high as you can.....

j/k.....obviously.

Good luck on the recording.

I wonder if DPDAN has any suggestions for mics. I use several on each side of the house. Wish I had some more to experiment with!
    It is hard to get a natural sounding thunderstorm recording because the rain will no doubt be falling on things like the cars in the driveway, trashcan, lawnchairs etc. I have done the same thing, I put one on one side of the house and another on the opposite side for maximum stereo separation.
    Definately use nothing but condensor mics, and reverse the phase of one of them since they will likely be pointing opposite each other. Although proper phase can really only be determined after listening. Also, if your recording equipment is AC powered you can pick up little tiny glitches when lighting strikes, it's best if all of your equipment is battery powered, but not necessary, you could always remove the little glitch sounds in your DAW.

I do like mscmixer's idea, although you would need a really good "SHOCK" mount for that pole mounted handheld mic on the roof.

DON"T ANYONE TRY THIS AT HOME, WE ARE PROFESSIONALS !

dpDan

It might sound crazy, but actually it is a good idea - thought of doing it myself in the past, but I don't really have an adequate setup to do it properly.

And of course, any mics you use should have as low a bottom end as possible - I have a pair of Equitek E-100s, they go down to 5 Hz almost flat (even comes with a warning about this.)
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Thumbs up Re: A dangerous chance for a great sample!

The storm brewed some twenty to thirty miles off into Lake Erie and only for a brief time. The rest of the day has been in the eighties and windy as all heck. Weather report predicts Tstorms nearer to the weekend. I'll be more ready then. I use a portable DAT recorder. I have used it in the past and have captured some amazing Tstorm crashes!
    Anyminihaha, thanks for being so thoughtful in suggesting the poles guys. I love you too!
    Styxx

Anyminihaha, thanks for being so thoughtful in suggesting the poles guys. I love you too!
    ha ha ha !

Ooh!!!!

it just happened that when I read this thread a thunderstorm just popped up.

Let me try it!!!!!!

Actually, I tried it, but my mic got wet from the rain. I had it near a cracked window.

Styxx, post your recordings 'cause my comp isn't ready to record at such a moment's notice!

-Chris

Go Back to forum