• Register
  • Help

Topic: RMX Sound distorting and 'jitters' in Cubase SX3.02

Share/Bookmark

RMX Sound distorting and 'jitters' in Cubase SX3.02

Hi - I finally managed to get RMX installed today, but I am pretty sure there is a problem wit the audio playback from my Carillon Audio PC.

The sound 'jitters', sounds frequently distorted and there appears to be some kind of delay/phase thing happening between the stereo playback channels.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what may be going on?

PC is P4 3Ghz + 1Gb Ram + 7200 hard drive by Carillon - Cubase SX3.02 the host..

PS - I should have added that I instantly upgraded to V1.2 from the Spectrasonics website earlier today.

Re: RMX Sound distorting and 'jitters' in Cubase SX3.02

Are you authorized or running in demo mode?

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Are you authorized or running in demo mode?
    Authorised, indeed I had to do it twice in quick succession. Once for the install and once for the update.

Have you checked the FAQs at http://www.spectrasonics.net/rmxcommunity ?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO
    Have you checked the FAQs at http://www.spectrasonics.net/rmxcommunity ?
    Thank you very much, Glenn. The FAQs didn't provide the solution, but the suggestion about changing the audio buffer size hinted at a possible resolution. And changing the ASIO driver from the standard to the EMU one within Cubase did solve the issue I'm delighted to say.

I'm much less delighted to report that the solution had to be found from the Steinberg UK support desk as Time & Space - UK distributor - want to charge 25p/minute for support! I simply refuse to pay this when there is absolutely no hint about it with the software.

Do Spectrasonics know they have distributors charging for support when they themselves do not?

But, most importantly of all - and now RMX is working - the software is sensational! As a bass player living in the wilds of Argyll interested in hip-hop and dubby grooves, this is like a dream come true

Quote Originally Posted by Delited Bassist of Scotland
    the software is sensational!
    Wow! And let me tell you that wow isn't a word oft used here in Scotland. RMX is even more than I dared hope for.

Brilliant! And I doff my cap to it's creators.

Is there a way to solo a part to edit the FX or Chaos on it without always skipping back to the mixer to do so? A solo button next to the name of each part would be REALLY useful.

I play bass 3 - 5 hours a day, RMX has just upped my joy in doing so to the nth degree.

Thank you so much!

MacFunk -- I also am a bass player and now a HUGE fan of RMX -- this thing just rocks amazingly, doesn't it?!?

Quote Originally Posted by MacFunk
    I'm much less delighted to report that the solution had to be found from the Steinberg UK support desk
    About your problem/solution:
    In fact, I will point out that the solution you found had NOTHING to do with RMX, at least not directly. The problems with RMX were just a SYMPTOM of having the wrong ASIO driver chosen in Cubase. I'm on PC, using SX3 -- but I also had this exact same problem once (not with RMX, but with other VSTi's).

I've now learned that when I make a new install of Cubase the FIRST THING I need to do is go make sure I choose the correct ASIO driver for my MOTU 828.

This is actually a pretty basic setup issue for Cubase, and maybe most people would just assume you've got that sorted already. SO, just for what it's worth... You in fact got your solution at the "correct" place, because it's actually a Cubase/setup issue.

Anyway, like you said, the MAIN THING is now you are up and running, and freaking out on how great RMX sounds... !

Quote Originally Posted by MacFunk
    Is there a way to solo a part to edit the FX or Chaos on it without always skipping back to the mixer to do so? A solo button next to the name of each part would be REALLY useful.
    If you find that there are certain controls you always want immediate access to, regardless of which page you're on, the best way is probably to use a midi controller and use midi learn. For example, if you assigned a button on your midi controller to part solo, it would always be at your fingertips.

- Glenn

Talking Re: RMX Sound distorting and 'jitters' in Cubase SX3.02

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoTain
    MacFunk -- I also am a bass player and now a HUGE fan of RMX -- this thing just rocks amazingly, doesn't it?!? About your problem/solution: In fact, I will point out that the solution you found had NOTHING to do with RMX, at least not directly. !
    Aye, TT, that's a very fair comment to make. Of course, with Cubase running successfully for other VSTi's, then stumbling at RMX, I immediately put two and two together and came up with five.

Nevertheless, I'm not going to indulge Time & Space by paying for technical support when it can be had for free from their competitors. Indeed, I'll think twice about support costs when considering future VST investments from T & S.

RMX aside of course. Not even Time & Space will stop me using it. It is a thing of wonder to me. As a fellow lo-freeq disciple I think it has to be recognised that RMX is the audio equivalent of - without the mess

Go Back to forum