• Register
  • Help

View Poll Results: Do you use the Extra Programs in GPO?

Voters
279. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use my own Sequencing Program (Sonar, DP,Logic, Cubase, etc)

238 85.30%
  • I use Cubasis VST

20 7.17%
  • I use my own Notation Program (Finale, Sibelius, Overture full, other)

125 44.80%
  • I use Overture SE

78 27.96%
  • I prefer a Printed Manual

180 64.52%
  • I prefer a Digital Manual

107 38.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Do You Use the Extra Programs in GPO? Would you Prefer a Digital Manual?

Share/Bookmark

Do You Use the Extra Programs in GPO? Would you Prefer a Digital Manual?

I need your help. We are getting ready to make a new version of GPO. There will be updates for all users shortly. This time GPO will have 1 DVD instead of 4 CDs.

I am evaluating the extra programs that are bundle with GPO and would like to know your thoughts. Have these extra programs been useful and of value to you? Do you use Cubasisi and Overture or do you use your own sequencer and notation program?

Also, the manual has now been expanded to over 100 pages. It seems that it would be a good idea to have a digital PDF manual instead of a paper one. Digital documents seem to be standard. With each new update there is more information. A printed document cannot readily be updated whereas it is fast and easy to add large amounts of additional information in digital form. Also a digital document can also contain links. Everyone willbe able to have the same updated manual in digital form.

Could you let me know your thoughts about the extra programs (Cubasis and Overture) and a digital manual. You can vote for each - the Sequencer/Noation and the Manual question.

Thanks for your help,

Gary Garritan

Re: Do You Use the Extra Programs in GPO? Would you Prefer a Digital Manual?

Cubasis is one of the reasons I bought my GPO copy from EtCetera in the UK instead of jumping on the group buy, since I did not have a sequencer pre-GPO. I use PrintMusic to enter notes and produce a MIDI file with the raw material for subsequent sequencing. So Cubasis is definitely of great value to me.

I also appreciate the printed manual, since it's a lot more portable than a desktop PC. I like to read stuff like this in the sun, or in bed (the PC is a heavy bedtime companion ). Plus the paper doesn't strain the eyes as much as the monitor. So I think you should keep Cubasis (good starter sequencer) and the manual in the bundle.

Thumbs up Re: Do You Use the Extra Programs in GPO? Would you Prefer a Digital Manual?

Hey Gary - thanks in advance for yet another update. I prefer to print sections of manuals (or the entire thing) and put it in a three-ring binder so it can be laid out on a conductor's stand in my studio. It's much easier to handle than a manual with a stiff/glued spine. Also, using the PDF directly on the machine (opened behind the sequencer) for searching on certain terms is sometimes faster than thumbing through a manual. Plus, when I only print one section of the manual, I can put it in a smaller binder with other app manual updates that I use often, and saves on space and paper. I'm tired of having to stack up manuals above the height of my monitors just so that I can check something in the docs while in a scoring session.

I really like that you bundled Overture SE in your original package. It does 90%+ of what I need. If you were to add anything, it would be something like a two-channel convolution reverb and a few examples from your upcoming library. I already have Voxengo's Pristine Space, but I think it would really rock people's world to have a convolved reverb to create their final mixes, especially with the quality that you always offer. I love the impulses you offered with GOS, and distributing those with a few new ones would be a great way to introduce folks to some of the other products you have coming out.

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

While I use SONAR and Finale rather than the bundled versions, I think it's fantastic that you include notation/sequencing software for those who don't have and/or can't afford other packages. It's a great deal.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

1 DVD will make the install less tedious and a digital manual will be easer for me to use while I am working on my computer. PDF manuals are nice in that you can search for a word or phrase much faster than you can in a paper manual.

I do use Overture SE with GPO studio and like having Overture SE in my tool bin.
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

Sadly, my server doesn't have a DVD rom. If there is some way to make it so that i can convert it over to CD's for installation, that would be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    Sadly, my server doesn't have a DVD rom. If there is some way to make it so that i can convert it over to CD's for installation, that would be kind.
    I hope I don't sound unsympathetic to your plight but a basic DVD-Rom drive can be had REALLY cheap at stores like Best Buy these days. Without one you're going to have a lot of trouble with newer software packages that are (like GPO) all moving that way since they are tending to be quite large. You might want to bite the bullet so-to-speak and pick one up.

Oh, btw I have found Overture SE fantastically useful to have. i have a client who temporarily had me put Finale 2005 on a machine at the studio so we could work with his files on a project and if given the choice I would stick with Overture every time. I never even had to crack a manual to use it it's so intuitive. For a sequencer I'm using Sonar. And I'm perfectly happy with the PDF maunals, though having hard-copy provided is always handy.

Its no secret how big a proponent I am of Overture.

The main reason I bought GPO was that I needed an all inclusive package to get started as I had NOTHING before it. I've since upgraded my sequencer, but still use Overture SE.

However, I realize that there may be downsides to including products in the package from a support and overall 'package cost' perspective. I'd say that as a businessman, you should do whatever presents the most value to the customer. If the price of the included software threatens to rise the cost of the package or to devalue it in any way, then it should go.

I am not against the prospect of a digital manual. So long as it is formatted for easy printing should the user want to print it. Digital manuals are easier to update from your perspective and you will be able to include much more documentation than if it were printed out and included in the package.

The thing that really drew me to GPO (apart from the wonderful sound and the amazing demos) was the whole "everything you need in a box" approach. While I fairly soon found I needed more audio tracks than Cubasis offered, it is still a great way to get one's feet wet without great expense.

I agree with previous posts regarding printed manuals being more portable, but if the number of pages is not too great, then a pdf file can be printed and you have the best of both worlds. I admit I have a preference for the printed page (that's why my library consists of nicely bound books instead of files downloaded into my PDA), but software changes so quickly and so often that it really isn't practical to print every time there is a change. I have enough software manuals with "addendum this" and "addendum that" falling out of them.

Hmm, time to get a DVD rom.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum