• Register
  • Help

Topic: How many voices? Using K2 efficiently

Share/Bookmark

How many voices? Using K2 efficiently

How many voices should I be able to get out of K2 on such a system, assuming proper optimizing?

-Asus A7N8X
    -Athlon XP2600+
    -1.5 gigs of Kingston DDR2700
    -Sonar 4PE
    -Dedicated sample drive (standard issue parallel ATA 7200rpm, 8mb cache)
    -M-Audio Delta 66, running at 5.8 ms latency, 128 sample buffers

I'm able to get up to about 100 voices before things choke - tested using the "forearm cluster on piano sound" test method. Is this typical? What are the recommended DFD settings for a comparable system? I'd hoped for more voices.

Also, is it best to have as many instruments as possible running in fewer instances of K2? I'm inclined to have an instance open for ww, brass, strings, and percussion (and sometimes further division), but I wonder if that is significantly less efficient.

Any pointers?

--Eric

Re: How many voices? Using K2 efficiently

Hi Eric, definetly fill up each instance of K2 as much as you can, (currently inside a sequencer thats 16 instruments. In stand-alone, 64.)

Each time you open a new K2 player you're devoting resources to it.

Also, Im an advocate of small buffers on the soundcard for great response, but 128 seems to be very, very low. The lower you're soundcard buffers, the harder you're CPU has to work. I run mine at 256 and that seems lightning fast. THe notes play into Cubase just fine and most times I dont even have to quantise.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Thanks Scott. This is helpful to know before I get too deep into building templates with K2 & Sonar4.

Sonar 4 has a "latency slider" which, I believe, works off of multiples of the Delta's buffer setting. I hadn't considered raising buffers outside Sonar - I'll try it to see if it makes a difference.

I'm still searching for opinions on K2's dfd settings - just when I though I almost understood the old style settings, they change under K2.

Thanks again,
    Eric

Since I am a Giga 2.54 user, I am following what you guys are saying very closely as I am thinking about moving to Kontack (getting GPO soon in the big sell). Anything you can provide in information here I will be listening intensely.

My DAW:

1.5 mz P4
    2 gig ram
    2 drives - one for OS ; one for recording
    cubase 5.2
    finale
    delta 66 SPD/IF

My Giga Server (about the same):

1.5 mz P4
    2 gig ram
    2 drives - one for OS ; one for samples
    Giga 2.54
    delta 66 SPD/IF

I used Giga 2.54, and liked it very much. It ran alongside Sonar well on the same machine, and I regularly maxed out its 160 (mono) voices. I still think its streaming was a bit more robust than NI's dfd.

The reason I switched to Kontakt was that I really did not like bouncing one track at a time from Giga into the DAW. I prefer the integration that a plug-in offers. I did try running 2nd machine, but didn't like the complexity and extra space required. I'm a picky one, sometimes.

--Eric

Thanks Eric:

I guess I am concerned about using it with these giga samples, as I know converting them will be a PITA. I don't mind the mix down, and I know there are tools out there that will allow me to plug into Cubase via ethernet and iVST or ReWire if I ever have that desire. I supposed if I had to mix down quickly, I would prefer to use a stand alone giga machine and use the fx in giga or K2 instead of recording everything dry in the daw. But, for ultimate control, as slow as it is, recording dry tracks into my daw, then using EQ on each instrument as I apply reverb to the instrument groups (so I can place them in the pseudo hall) is the way to go... If I get around to using a decent convolution reverb, I suppose I dont have to apply reverb into groups to get placement, but can apply it to the final recording and "place" my instruments in groups into a single reverb instance. Anyway, I guess for my way of working, all I am looking for is a way to stream samples dry...but a sampler that will break the 1 gig limitation of GIGA. Doesnt sound like K2 can match G2 or G3 streaming...? But G2 or G3 can't match K2's memory features?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric G
    I used Giga 2.54, and liked it very much. It ran alongside Sonar well on the same machine, and I regularly maxed out its 160 (mono) voices. I still think its streaming was a bit more robust than NI's dfd.

The reason I switched to Kontakt was that I really did not like bouncing one track at a time from Giga into the DAW. I prefer the integration that a plug-in offers. I did try running 2nd machine, but didn't like the complexity and extra space required. I'm a picky one, sometimes.

--Eric

Go Back to forum