• Register
  • Help

Topic: Old No. 5 for Percussion Ensemble

Share/Bookmark

Old No. 5 for Percussion Ensemble

Here is a piece for four percussionists I have composed for Grad school. It is for Vibes, Marimba, and two percussionists. Percussionist One plays snare, tambourine, shaker, and castanets. Percussionist Two plays suspended cymbal, ride cymbal, medium gong, and tubular bells.

http://www.fupduckonline.com/music/OldNo5.mp3
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: Old No. 5 for Percussion Ensemble

jess - Did you score this? Some of the instruments are hard to hear and it may be due to my laptop. I am going to listen later in my studio. I like the theme in the marimba. Nice.
    Styxx

Yes, this is all notated out. I will post a pdf of the score once some minor corrections are made.

Thanks for commenting!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Well, well...you have been busy!

Sounds good, can't wait to see the score. Is this all GPO percussion (I'm at work and can't check the instrument list for GPO)? I'll take this and the brass works home for another listen with better speakers.

;-)
    jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Smile Re: Old No. 5 for Percussion Ensemble

Jess -

I really enjoyed this piece. Your main themes are infectious. It simply was a pleasure listening to this piece.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Please also check out my brass quintet, it dropped quickly to the second page!
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Great work Jess. Your writing is idiomatic and fresh. The vibraphone writing, particularly the quiet, whimsical ostinatos were stunning. The underpinning provided by the nonpitched instruments was just right. I would love to hear this performed live, although your mockup with GPO is extraordinarily realistic.

Fantastic job. I enjoyed this very much.

Best,
    Ric
    The little voices in my head are singing four-part harmony.

Thanks for your compliments.
    I hope to get the score posted in the next couple of days.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Some of you might be interested to know that Jess used the latest Finale 2006 and HP to create this, as well as the Brass Quintett, straight from notation.

Jess, thank you: you have been a great resource for beta testing HP and Finale 2006!

Robert

Go Back to forum