• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bad news about my concerto

Share/Bookmark

Angry Bad news about my concerto

Some of you may remember me talking about my second piano concerto recently. I'd written it for my wife, Martha, and she played the premiere performance on March 5 this year. I also slapped together a GPO version which is still on my website.

The performance was supposed to have been recorded. But after several weeks had passed, we asked what was taking so long. They told us that there had been problems with their equipment and the recording was damaged, and that they were working on it to see if it could be saved. For the next couple of months that's all we heard. Finally, yesterday, we asked them to give us a straight answer, and they admitted that the recording was irretrievably ruined.

Well, we were upset, of course! All that work, and now it's like it never happened!

Anyway, we decided to try to salvage the situation. We are planning to record Martha playing the solo part in a studio, and have me put together a realization of the orchestra part using GPO and some other libraries I've been accumulating. I'll be aiming for a more professional-quality realization this time, even though I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. (We'll probably do the same for the first concerto while we're at it.)

Wish us luck. I'll keep everyone posted on this project. (And I may ask for advice from time to time.)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: Bad news about my concerto

WHAT! That's horrible Dan! Gee, wish there was something I could do to help! Man, what a blow! Hope your next session works out for you best! Yeah, keep us posted.
    Wow .... That is also bad business to leave you hanging like that when you could have used the time more beneficially.
    Styxx

Dan,

I'm so sorry to here that. We were really looking forward to the live performance. You must be absolutely heartbroken. I'm without words. Thanks for sharing this. I sure hope something good comes from your misfortune.

Karl

Dan, a car is on its way to deal with this problem. Got the cement, overshoes and a bucket. Now all we need is water.
    Hey, just trying to cheer you up a bit buddy. Let us know if there is even the slightest we can do for you. Feel real bad this happened.
    Styxx

Unhappy Re: Bad news about my concerto

That's awfull! At least they offered you a recording though. Many professional orchestras I know won't even give you one even though one was made (for legal and artistic reasons)!

Good luck with your realization!

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    Some of you may remember me talking about my second piano concerto recently. I'd written it for my wife, Martha, and she played the premiere performance on March 5 this year. I also slapped together a GPO version which is still on my website.

The performance was supposed to have been recorded. But after several weeks had passed, we asked what was taking so long. They told us that there had been problems with their equipment and the recording was damaged, and that they were working on it to see if it could be saved. For the next couple of months that's all we heard. Finally, yesterday, we asked them to give us a straight answer, and they admitted that the recording was irretrievably ruined.

Well, we were upset, of course! All that work, and now it's like it never happened!

Anyway, we decided to try to salvage the situation. We are planning to record Martha playing the solo part in a studio, and have me put together a realization of the orchestra part using GPO and some other libraries I've been accumulating. I'll be aiming for a more professional-quality realization this time, even though I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. (We'll probably do the same for the first concerto while we're at it.)

Wish us luck. I'll keep everyone posted on this project. (And I may ask for advice from time to time.)

Oh no!

I was wanting to hear that one!
    -Christopher Reeves
    Pianist, Composer, Arranger

Thanks, everyone!

Here's the first update on the new project. We already had some time booked in a recording studio for Monday (for a different project; I'll tell you about it later) and we decided to use some of it to have Martha record a few excerpts from the concerto on the studio's Yamaha grand. It's a really nice piano. Then we're going to record the same excerpts on a MIDI grand which is in a music store owned by a friend of ours. Then I'll render the MIDI file using the PMI Bosendorfer library that I used on the earlier rendition of the concerto. We'll compare them back to back and decide which way we want to go.

Personally, I'm betting we'll choose to go with the actual piano. But if the MIDI version sounds OK, we may choose that route. For now, we're keeping an open mind. I'll post another update in a week or so.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Boy, that sucks. But, I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. You'd expect at least a good recording, so you can leverage it to get some other gigs, commissions, and fill applications for grants. One of the reasons I write mostly for the studio these days.

Dan, I really sympathize - that is just one of the most demoralizing things that can happen to a composer.

Good going on taking a decisive step and moving forward to make a new recording.
    Being a concerto, having the solo part be 'real' will already take you half way to where you want to be.
    If you have any friends that play orchestral instruments, perhaps you can ask them to record at least some key 'exposed' passages to mix in to the recording. With a little creativity you should be able to get what you want.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    If you have any friends that play orchestral instruments, perhaps you can ask them to record at least some key 'exposed' passages to mix in to the recording. With a little creativity you should be able to get what you want.
    Good idea! I hadn't thought of that. We'll keep it in mind. Thanks!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum