Some of you may remember me talking about my second piano concerto recently. I'd written it for my wife, Martha, and she played the premiere performance on March 5 this year. I also slapped together a GPO version which is still on my website.
The performance was supposed to have been recorded. But after several weeks had passed, we asked what was taking so long. They told us that there had been problems with their equipment and the recording was damaged, and that they were working on it to see if it could be saved. For the next couple of months that's all we heard. Finally, yesterday, we asked them to give us a straight answer, and they admitted that the recording was irretrievably ruined.
Well, we were upset, of course! All that work, and now it's like it never happened!
Anyway, we decided to try to salvage the situation. We are planning to record Martha playing the solo part in a studio, and have me put together a realization of the orchestra part using GPO and some other libraries I've been accumulating. I'll be aiming for a more professional-quality realization this time, even though I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. (We'll probably do the same for the first concerto while we're at it.)
Wish us luck. I'll keep everyone posted on this project. (And I may ask for advice from time to time.)