• Register
  • Help

Topic: Orchestral warm-up!!!

Share/Bookmark

Orchestral warm-up!!!

Hi,

This is not music , it´s just an orchestral warm-up that I made just to simulate how an orchestra sounds some minutes before the rehearsal begins...to me it´s very realistic but I´m opened to comments and advices...here it is www.pacificocean.com.br/musicas/warm-up.mp3
    Leo
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

Re: Orchestral warm-up!!!

Hi Leo

Very nice to hear that warm-up, and a very good idea. As far as I can comment, since I am not sure I would be able to produce such a piece of music, but I remember warm-up when I played in orchestra (in Brussels Opera for example): I experienced much more "energetic" feeling than you performed in your excerpt, 60 to 80 persons literally left totally free. It was astounding from being inside the orchestra: perhaps you could introduce a somewhat "climax" part. Another point was, sometimes, a guy was beginning to play a note (A3 - which was much lower than 440 !), and gradually everybody went into playing the A3. It was also a powerfull experience.

A really good idea you had ...

Domi

Quote Originally Posted by leogardini
    Hi,

This is not music , it´s just an orchestral warm-up that I made just to simulate how an orchestra sounds some minutes before the rehearsal begins...to me it´s very realistic but I´m opened to comments and advices...here it is www.pacificocean.com.br/musicas/warm-up.mp3
    Thanks for sharing.

Not music? I know some of my former professors might consider this a master piece in contemporary composition

One thing I noticed when orchestras "warm up" is that you hear various individuals going over the challenging parts of the upcoming works.

And yes, tuning, especially as more people join in. The first few notes (at least on string instruments) are to check the relative intonation of all the strings, before a warm up. Adding a bit of this might help.

At the beginning, it almost sounds like a piece of music - so many instruments entering almost at once. Randomizing this a bit might help the realism.

Great Job.

When I studied ethnomusicology, I read an article about a man from a very small aboriginal tribe (I think from somewhere in South America, but it may have been Africa) who had never heard western music before.

The ethnographer brought him to an orchestra concert (I think it was a standard Mozart / Brahms / Tchaikovsky kind of thing).

When asked for his opinions after the concert, he said he didn't care much for the music, except he liked the very first piece. Upon further inquiry it turned out that the "piece" he really liked was the orchestra tuning/warming up!

This is a true story, not a joke, although I'm sure I'm getting a few details wrong.

chris.

Why not,

Try to tell a story with it.
    Let someone take the lead for a second and the other respond.
    Let one instrument tell a joke and some others lough,
    Let two groups argue, ...

I would like to here it.

Chris Hein

It could be a good joke to do in a concert ...

Thank you all for the replies and advices...I´l be making some changes based on them!!!
    Leo

None of you lot ever listened to "Tuning Up" by Varese? Slightly different - starts with an oboe A and goes from there. Fun though!

leogardini - I would just like to offer some criticism:

Make it more frenetic! Give it a build up and a slow down. Imagine the orchestra members: two minutes people - so everyone starts making noises and the whole thing builds up quickly with people trying to either tune, play scales or play some completely inappropriate piece of music to show off. Then the brass players decide to blast everyone out or the timpanist is practising rolls. You will hear snippets of the music everyone is practising for the concert. The louder it gets the louder it still gets as people play to be heard against their neighbours. It all builds up then gradually, everyone has had their play and it starts to peter out by which time the conductor is now ready and he taps his baton three times. Also, add in some sounds like mutes being dropped, music stands moving, shuffling around, coughing!

OK, so that is over the top but why not try it?!

Mark

Hey Mark , thanks for your comment...I agree with what you said but actually it wouldn´t be a good idea in this case because what I tryed to show was how synful works with this kind os stuff...everything is Synful plus Scoring Noise from Bela Media , so , putting more intruments there would hide the realism of each intrument...
    ...but maybe I can make another version of warm-up with a full sound and percussion too!!!
    Leo

Go Back to forum