• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: So I got MusicLab's RealGuitar last night...

Share/Bookmark

So I got MusicLab's RealGuitar last night...

... and it's pretty darn cool. Just futzin' around without reading through the docs I was finding my way around and stumbling across some very cool features (e.g., being able to strum chords while in "solo" mode). Many moons ago when it first came out I thought the "blues" demo made it sound like a cheesy GM guitar sound -- but I have to say the quality of the sample banks is right up there. The $160 download price (which is what I did) makes it a steal, IMO. You could pay that much or more for an acoustic guitar sample library alone, but without the specialized key/control mappings provided by RG.

Re: So I got MusicLab's RealGuitar last night...

Hi there,

Previously, I owned VGEE and Acoustic and RG is far away superior. Great samples but the thing that sold me is being able to write what I want and not letting the sample dictate what I compose (which happens so much with samples.) I have many libraries and RG is one of the best values out there. The price of one session (short one at that.)

Now we need an electric version as well.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

I've been close to buying this, but I found the demo a little difficult to master. I mean, I guess there's a certain technique which you get better at...(?). I couldn't make it do what I needed.

Thumbs up Re: So I got MusicLab's RealGuitar last night...

what I LOVE about RG is the display....you can really see if what you're playing on the keyboard makes sense as something playable on a guitar.

Yup, it's fun.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliott
    Hi there,

Now we need an electric version as well.

Rob
    I agree... don't forget the hollowbody jazz sample bank.

Quote Originally Posted by sporter
    I mean, I guess there's a certain technique which you get better at...(?).
    I'm also wondering about this -- I will be honest, I have not taken the time to download the demo and try it, because the interface, just based on the screen shots, seemed a bit complex.

BUT, I have had RealGuitar sort of "in the back of my mind" for a long time now. Maybe it's time I really gave it a whirl...

Anyway, does anyone care to comment on how "intuitive" it is to get your own strumming patterns going on this?

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoTain
    Anyway, does anyone care to comment on how "intuitive" it is to get your own strumming patterns going on this?
    Take a gander at their demo videos -- there's about 4 of them -- and you'll get an idea of where you need to start. That was enough for me to be able to play around and get some sounds and strumming patterns out of it. Really need the manual to understand the whole thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by kbaccki
    Take a gander at their demo videos -- there's about 4 of them -- and you'll get an idea of where you need to start. That was enough for me to be able to play around and get some sounds and strumming patterns out of it. Really need the manual to understand the whole thing though.

The videos, while occassionally come off a little 'septic and stiff' really do open you up to the possibilities. Are you going to be able to do 100% of what a good session player will - for sure not. But this comes the closest that I have seen. Just have to play it for a few hours and it will start to make sense. Hope that helps.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Let me ask this about Realguitar. In terms of just "sound", how is it overall? The demo only comes with one guitar and after playing with it for a week or so, it's so-so imo. But maybe the full version sounds are better. Can I bypass all the "strumming' stuff (which I mostly would never use) and simply trigger the sounds from a sequencer or live keyboard?

I hate almost every stock vsti based acoustic guitarI've ever heard and I'm trying to decide on a sampled set to buy. The front runner seeming to be Yellow Tools Pure guitars at the moment. I think I've checked out most everything I could find in the past couple of weeks...

I listened to the Bardstown and it's not what I'm looking for. In terms of Zimmer, I'm not sure if Vol1 or Vol2 is better but what I heard sounded ok. The Ragan was too bright/synthetic (don't know how to describe). Can't find much of the Corrigan to listen to, plus I think it's based on strumming rather than just manually triggering. The vsl Horizon nylon was way too weird sounding. Not natural at all.

Here's the clincher....I've been a guitar player for forty some years and over the years I've pretty well mastered how to get convincing downstroke/upstroke feels from inputting guitar parts from keyboard (particularly rhythm guitar stuff). That's easy for me and i dont need software that does the strumming for me. It's almost easier for me to set up a mic and play guitar live rather than get too involved with the strumming/choking procedures in Realguitar. But..if the sounds are good, I could certainly use it via manually triggering from sequencer or keyboard.

Some of the fret noise/choking effects might be useful, but my main gripe is I can't find a good "sounding" set of samples that fit well in mixes requiring acoustic rhythm guitars and nylon string samples.

RealGuitar is a brilliant package. I can't wait for it to come onto a group buy!

Frank

Go Back to forum