• Register
  • Help

Topic: To be so well off as to have a ...

Share/Bookmark

Angry To be so well off as to have a ...

Steinway Grand Piano in your sunroom of your 5000 square foot home that markets for a little over a half a million. "Its only for ambiance. No one in the family plays and instrument." Cool, then you don't mind if I back my truck up and stick in on the bed. I could use some ambiance and you could you an ambulance!
    "I hear you play?"
    A little.
    "Go ahead and lets hear something."
    OK, .... when was the last time this was tuned?
    "Tuned? You have to have it tuned? How do you do that?"
    Never mind I think its time we left.
    Thank you........

Not a baby grand mind you. A full size grand. The sunroom was at least 15 by 20. BTW - The piano sat in the corner of two outside full glassed wall windows. The keys were so hot one could fry an egg on each note. Anyone know anything about Steinways? What does a Model L go for, about $30.000 new?
    Sorry, I guess I shouldn't be but this just ticked me off! I think of all the talented players we have on this forum alone....
    Styxx

Re: To be so well off as to have a ...

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Steinway Grand Piano in your sunroom of your 5000 square foot home that markets for a little over a half a million. "Its only for ambiance. No one in the family plays and instrument." Cool, then you don't mind if I back my truck up and stick in on the bed. I could use some ambiance and you could you an ambulance!
    "I hear you play?"
    A little.
    "Go ahead and lets hear something."
    OK, .... when was the last time this was tuned?
    "Tuned? You have to have it tuned? How do you do that?"
    Never mind I think its time we left.
    Thank you........

Not a baby grand mind you. A full size grand. The sunroom was at least 15 by 20. BTW - The piano sat in the corner of two outside full glassed wall windows. The keys were so hot one could fry an egg on each note. Anyone know anything about Steinways? What does a Model L go for, about $30.000 new?
    Sorry, I guess I shouldn't be but this just ticked me off! I think of all the talented players we have on this forum alone....

I have encountered similar situations many times. Makes me puke!

Usually, when asked to play on an impossible instrument, I would say something like, "well, this just isn't a good piano playing day for me." But the really difficult situation is when someone asks for an opinion on their piano, and you have no wish to harm the person, you have to say something like, "well, it is an interesting instrument". Worst situation is when someone shows off their Steinway, and you recognize that it is not a Steinway, but are not believed, or find yourself like the messenger about to be executed for bringing the bad news.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    I have encountered similar situations many times. Makes me puke!

Richard
    laughing outloud on that one Richard!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Anyone know anything about Steinways? What does a Model L go for, about $30.000 new?

Just (barely) under 50 grand up to about 75 depending on the finish.

Just go ahead and spring for the Model D

Little under $100,000 to about $150,000!

Per the local Steinway dealer.

Michael

Talking Re: To be so well off as to have a ...

A mere drop in the ocean. I'll take six, please.
    Styxx

Yep, that is annoying! But I guess it's part of life . . . I must admit, I have my share of things I don't use or need. Nothing worth thousands of dollars, of course. It is similar to those rich people who don't enjoy art or know anything about it, but simply purchase items as an investment. But you just gotta live with it, I guess. They paid for it, so it's their own loss if they never want to hear it produce some real music!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Yeah...it's like all the folks down here who have 40 foot sailboats, but you never see them move from the marina...they just sit there in the same spot year after year!

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Go Back to forum