• Register
  • Help

Topic: Composer Channel Shows - wish list?

Share/Bookmark

Composer Channel Shows - wish list?

Hey, folks.

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been around as much the past few weeks, and I've got a ton of new music that hasn't been added to the station as well. The reason, of course, is that old "making a living" thing. Still nose deep getting the new company off the ground, which has limited my time on other projects.

I'm hoping to reclaim some spare time in the next few weeks, and so Charlie, Deirdre and I are kicking around ideas for a new batch of hosted shows. I'd also like to hear ideas from you, including all of you who are new GPO users from the recent group buy (and welcome!).

The shows will continue to be 30 minutes in length to fit into the programming (don't have time for more web development right now). We've had shows based on musical themes such as Celtic Classics, Every Day's a Holiday, etc., we've done variety shows such as Artist and Alchemy, and also themes such as At the Movies and Voice of Music.

What other types of shows would you like to see? What would you like to hear? What kinds of themes or other show ideas might you have in mind? I have a ton of great music from you, two very talented and fun hosts, and several cases of orange juice and cheap champagne (in case any of you wonder what these Mimosas they're always talking about are made from). What to do with them is the topic of the day!

By the way, apologies for fading in and out in my work on the station, but since it's not a money making kinda thing, I'll have to defer to my "real job" when time gets short (otherwise the bills don't get paid). That may happen from time to time, but I guess most of you know how that is in your own life, too.

Anyway, we're kicking around show ideas, and I'd love to hear from you guys. After all, you're the reason I built the radio station in the first place!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Composer Channel Shows - wish list?

Well, you could have a show entitled "Off The Cuff". Music that was composed at the spur of the moment without any editing! Improvised music especially with Gary's up and coming soon to be released in a gumball machine at your favorite shopping center near you Jazz Big Band Library. Speaking of Jazz, how about a show called, "All That Jive Cosmic Jazz Debris" or "Those Jazz Goatees?< is that spelled right?
    Styxx

"Off the Cuff" - that's a great name for an improvisational jazz show! Once the JBB lib hits the streets, it sounds like a winner.

Also, we have a ton of orchestral stuff that I haven't included in hosted shows yet. Any of you have ideas on shows that would use that music?
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Also, we have a ton of orchestral stuff that I haven't included in hosted shows yet. Any of you have ideas on shows that would use that music?
    "The Stuffed Shirt Segment"
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    "The Stuffed Shirt Segment"
    Careful, bubba. I'm liable to use that name and then tell all the offended haughty types that it was your idea.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Yup!
    Styxx

I would stick with the idea of themed programmes. Sure, some people will then skip what they are less interested in, but others will make a point of tuning in. I personally, for example, am less interested in big symphonic treatments, but extremely interested in what can be done with solo instruments and small ensembles. The GPO player already categorises pieces to some degree. Themes can be technical as well as creative. Again, I would be very interested to hear any result where the key feature is the composer has mixed a live recording with a GPO orchestration. In this group, you might include a programme on songs (in the singer sense). Now that would be a hit.

BIMP! FYI
    Styxx

Moonlight Serenade Hour (Romantic)

Cool Classics to Present-day

Twilight Hour Symphonies

Long Haired Comps (Great Masters)

That Old, This New!

Fireside Evening Music (Christmas / Holiday and or)

Mood Here They Go (Jazz)

Swinging On A Theme (Swing / Big Band)

Shall We Dance (Waltz)

Lucy … Yu Gost Som’ Splannin’ to Do! (Latin)

I’m a Runnin’, She’s a Hollerin”! (Down Home Knee Slappin’ Music)

It Aint Heavy, It's My GPO
    Styxx

Chris,

My wish is for a broadcast of Kark and Joani Garrett's "Peter and the Wolf"

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum