• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Call For GPO Musicians to Perform in Concert - GPO Philharmonic at Carnegie Hall?

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Call For GPO Musicians to Perform in Concert - GPO Philharmonic at Carnegie Hall?

This is an invitation to GPO musicians to possibly perform in: THE GPO PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA!

We are trying to plan a philharmonic orchestra comprised of digital musicians for the purpose of putting on a performance. We discussed this in the GPO Chat last week and many people liked the idea. The plan is to organize a 50 to 75 piece symphony orchestra comprised of individual players playing individual GPO instruments on their computers.

Remember a couple of months ago, during my adventures, I wrote you about meeting the booking manager for Carnegie Hall. I found out the details of arranging such a performance at Carnegie Hall. Markleford asked "how *do* you get to Carnegie Hall?" Well, this could be your chance if you have always wanted to perform at Carnegie Hall (and there's also other venues we could look into as well).

The preliminary requirements would be:

• Every player have a computer, a MIDI controller (keyboard/wind/percussion) (Portable computer may be best and maybe some can be supplied).
    • Ability to read music (or learn the pieces well enough to perform it in a virtual orchestra)
    • Fluent enough with GPO to know the basic real-time controller system - dynamics, expression, variability and legato.
    • Proficiency or some knowledge in the instrument you will be emulating (for example,Tom Hopkins is an accomplished trumpeter and would play the GPO trumpet, Styxx plays GPO Timpani, Snorlax, our resident Euphoiumist would play the GPO Advanced Euphonium, I play MIDI harp).
    The GPO Competition was fun and a huge success and this will also be a great event if we can pull it off. In addition to a Carnegie Hall concert, we can make this a part of a GPO Convention and Academy with workshops on orchestration and conducting, a symphonic concert, a tour of concert halls and meeting orchestras, grooving in jazz clubs, possible talks with famous musicians, and enjoying the New York life.

It would be great for many of us to get together and make music!

What do you think of this idea? Who would participate?
    Let me know your thoughts.

Gary Garritan

Re: Call For GPO Musicians to Perform in Concert - GPO Philharmonic at Carnegie Hall?

Wow. Just. Wow.

(I always miss the exciting chats!)

But just imagine... the combined whir of 50 to 75 PC fans...

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Re: Call For GPO Musicians to Perform in Concert - GPO Philharmonic at Carnegie Hall?

Count me in!

Ron Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan

• Styxx plays GPO Timpani,
    That would've been my first choice, but:

Marimba
    vibraphone
    xylophone
    snare
    triangle?
    wind machine
    2nd chair tympani?
    Work the timp pedals & tickle styxx?

Cello in the marching band?

What a great idea!

Gary, I would love to participate (I play clarinet). The only issue I have is fluency with GPO. I'll only be getting mine as part of the group buy.

I don't know what the timing is, but I assume it would take some time to put this all together and I would have more than enough time to learn to use it properly. Is that right?

Also, I'm a much better wind player than keyboard player (which is what I use as my controller -- guess I have an excuse to get that WX5 I've been talking about ), but I assume that won't be an issue.

Count me in for the Jazz too!

So, all these outputs of all these computers' soundcards will be connected to direct boxes and a live sound console?

Small powered monitor speakers will be needed for each musician. Headphones won't be a good choice because the player would not be able to hear the other instruments well enough.

All these instruments would have to be mixed through a stereo sound reinforcement system for ideal sound. Of course if each computer could reproduce the sound from it's location on stage that would be nice, but these small speakers would not have good enough quality to push a natural sounding instrument into the room with typical dynamics.
    Just some ideas to ponder
    Dan

Dan,

We will make sure we use the right speakers. And many of them with sufficient dynamic to output what the corresponding instrument would deliver. We would of course use the best sound system available.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    So, all these outputs of all these computers' soundcards will be connected to direct boxes and a live sound console?

Small powered monitor speakers will be needed for each musician. Headphones won't be a good choice because the player would not be able to hear the other instruments well enough.

All these instruments would have to be mixed through a stereo sound reinforcement system for ideal sound. Of course if each computer could reproduce the sound from it's location on stage that would be nice, but these small speakers would not have good enough quality to push a natural sounding instrument into the room with typical dynamics.
    Just some ideas to ponder
    Dan

I (and my laptop) are in.

Woodwinds preferably, although I am familiar with all the instruments well enough to play any part.

If there's a jazz version, I can play saxes (my primary instrument).

Would we be playing on location, or from our homes via broadband?

chris.

Chris,

The idea is to play on location. On stage at Carnegie Hall with a conductor. No broadband.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I'm in. Woodwinds.

If there's a jazz version, I can play saxes (my primary instrument).

Would we be playing on location, or from our homes via broadband?

chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Dan,

We will make sure we use the right speakers. And many of them with sufficient dynamic to output what the corresponding instrument would deliver. We would of course use the best sound system available.
    Does Carnege hall have as 75 channel mixer? Seems awefully big for a Hall.

Rick

Go Back to forum