• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stylus RMX: Ilio Xpanders - when?

Share/Bookmark

Stylus RMX: Ilio Xpanders - when?

Hi Eric, I know I can be a pain in the a.... - but: When are the Ilio Xpanders ready. I think we are already past the inital plans... And my Ethno Techno CDs are waiting to be converted... :-)

Re: Stylus RMX: Ilio Xpanders - when?

Looking likely for early next month....still sorting out a final technical issue with the converter.

spectrum

Thanks for the infos!

Eric, not sure if you can comment.
    But I am curious.
    I can imagine converting loops etc to Groove control to take a whole heap of time.

But I would have imagined that once it is Groove Controlled it would be easy to get it up and running in RMX.

What am I missing?

I am guessing that you have found ways to even make loops more accurate to various tempi changes in the whole Groove Control process than was available three or four years ago?

rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Yes....once a library is Groove Controlled, you can use it in other sampler formats pretty easily...at least working the old way and doing a lot of the work manually.

But RMX/SAGE is not normal sampler technology by any means.

To adapt the original Akai and Roland CD-ROMs to convert perfectly to RMX is actually a massive job. The MIDI Files of the original product have to be totally reworked by hand and each file checked in numerous ways by a team of people.

Every patch and MIDI File from every CD-ROM library has to be checked for drag and drop compatibility, MIDI File length and that all the timing is getting converted correctly, names are correct length with no illegal characters and that all the slices are getting aligned and converted properly on BOTH Akai and Roland formats.

So if you do the math, that means one pass of checking the ILIO titles is several thousand files to very carefully listen to and check and notate. As you can imagine, this takes a massive amount of man-hours to accomplish one pass.

Then once that pass is made, all the notes go to the software team for fixing. They make a new version and we start the process over again. Oftentimes, what was working previously is broken in the new version in a different way....so the whole things starts again!

.....and so on and so on until we have a version that is 100% working great with every single MIDI file with every patch on every product from every disc of every format we support!

We are very close to finishing the process, but to do the automatic "full-spec" conversion of the libraries in the SAGE Converter for both Spectrasonics and ILIO titles ended up being an 18 month process...a lot of work for a free utility application! :-)

(Of course we get great Xpanders to sell at the end of the process, so it's certainly worth all the effort).

We go to this length of insanity for a couple of reasons:

• So that our existing catalog of Groove Control titles is 100% supported

• So that RMX is fully Groove Control library compatible

• So that our long-time customers are still able to use the library products that they purchased from us years ago, but in the latest and best technology of SAGE/RMX

• So that we don't need to deal with thousands of users wanting upgrade/cross-grade deals to SAGE Xpander versions (which just about killed us in the old sample library format days...no one is happy at the end of the day and it's a nightmare to administer)

• So that all that great material we did before has a chance to be exposed to all our new Stylus users.

Probably more than you needed to know, but the huge amount of details to manage in the conversion is the reason why it takes a long time to release something like this.

Ultimately, it's gotta work and gotta be right.

All the best,

spectrum

damn, that's a lot. Thanks for sharing.
    where does that leave in terms of time for NEW XPANDERS not available before or even new products.....
    yes don't answer :-), I finish.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Go Back to forum