• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is my Mobo dead?

Share/Bookmark

Is my Mobo dead?

I have a computer running an ASUS TUSL2-C mobo with 700+MB of RAM,(Pentium III 1 GHz) .

I was trying to load in windows XP and enter BIOS to configure. But I hear no beep on boot up and I get stuck after the RAM test at the beginning. It says to hit 'DELETE' to enter BIOS but it won't let me enter and the screen is just frozen. No luck in loading windows or installing

I've tried all kinds of holding down the button, tapping the button. I tried f11, f1, f2 but no luck in entering BIOS and getting past that frozen screen.

I thought it might be bad RAM but the RAM test count is fine. So I think it might be my mobo is dead. But I'm not sure how to tell.

any definite signs of such a thing.

I should also say that the light on the mobo, indicating when the PSU is on, works.
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Re: Is my Mobo dead?

Either that or your BIOS is blown out and you need to either get a new BIOS or flash it again...

Most motherboards have a way to re-set the BIOS to it's default. Usually a jumper on the MB. It should be explained in the manual.

In the last 6 weeks I have had two pc problems of this nature. The first was either the cpu or motherboard. Flashed the BIOS, reset the CMOS, re-set battery, re-set all pci cards, memory and cables, new power supply. Replaced with three hard drives and each was severely corrupted even after successful Windows installations. That one I believe is toast or at any rate I have given up on. Hard drives were so screwed that Spinrite v6 was only way to renew. I also ran antivirus scans from Boot cd with current definitions. No infection found.

The last one happened on Monday. Everything working fine a week ago and then failure at same exact spot you are stuck at. Once again the steps to include for checking are Bios setup (if can get in which we both could not do), reset CMOS with CMOS jumper, take out battery and re-set or replace (rarely the problem since the batteries last a long time), make sure all IDE cables are set properly (fully pushed in) or replace, make sure RAm is set properly on the DIMM slot or replace (always should have a spare for this purpose or take from another pc), replace power supply (always should have a spare for this purpose), make sure if have multiple hard drives that their jumpers are indeed set properly, make sure pci and agp cards are set properly or remove all and re-set one at a time (best to have hard drive cables unplugged so as not to screw up IRQ and other assignments), you can remove everything even (except video and ram) and add all one at a time to see what was the culprit, try new hard drive (always have a spare) and see if drive is corrupted, make a bootable cd that can run virus check of BIOS and even hard drives if they are connectedm make sure cpu fan is spinning, use can of electrical dusting spray and get all dust out of the components on motherboard and power supply, re-set motherboard 9sometiimes can short out of something caught between MB and case. Try any or all of above. It is process of elimination. Will take some time but this is exactly what you will pay a tech to do if you feel incompetent or uneasy in this area.

i hope this helps. Good luck.

BTW, I got mine up and running this way. I discovered that the CDROM was somehow the culprit so it stayed unplugged and is awaiting a replacement.

Thankss, all.

Yeah, i did the removal of the battery to reset CMOS. No luck.

But I'm gonna do the list of things you suggested, Deak.

It could very be my DVD-ROM as well.

Later on:

Turned out to be a back RAM stick. Wonder why the RAM count still counted it even if it was the culprit. Hmmmm.
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Glad you found the culprit!

Go Back to forum