• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DS Soundware Marching Percussion?

Share/Bookmark

DS Soundware Marching Percussion?

I've been looking for good marching battery latley to write cadences with. Right now im using very BAD basses and tenors and some decent snares that i made, but i want to buy samples. This mysterious DS Soundware marching percussion library sounds interesting but i can't seem to find ANYTHING about it on the web (and the DS site is gone too). Is there anywhere i can buy it or find out more about it, or is it discontinued or something? I would purchase VDL2 but i don't quite have the money right now (and the sounds in VDL1 seem very odd to me, and thinner unlike the big, broad sound of the VDL2 battery which i prefer). If anyone knows anything about this library or how it compares to VDL i'd appriciate the info. Thanks!
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

Re: DS Soundware Marching Percussion?

I honestly can say with out a doubt that True Strike by Project Sam is the percussion king of percussion!! check it out it's simply Awesome!
    Nin Nin Nin!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

There's a product called Virtual Drumline at http://www.tapspace.com that sounds pretty good from the demo's that I've heard. I checked this afternoon, and the web site is apparently not working at the moment, but the machine itself responds, so there's probably some web problems there at the moment. You should check it out when you get a chance!

mark

As soon as I sent the last reply saying they were having web site problems, I checked again and the site was up... Go figure... http://www.tapspace.com for Virtual Drumline...

Umm, SAM truestrike is orchestral percussion, which i dont need (i have way TOO much orchestral percussion ), and i was talking about the DS soundware site not working, not the tapspace site. I really am leaning towards VDL since i cant find anything about this "DS soundware Marching percussion" that seems to be....gone.
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

oh sorry i read your post wrong
    Sams True strike is not just orchestra percussion and there is no way you have a Lib that is as good as True Strike, because there isn't one that good Down load the free samples on there page.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

I have the free samples and theyre great, but i have no need for true strike right now
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I have yet to hear anything that sounds really great in the way of marching battery samples, but then again, I think marching battery these days sounds like crap. I've never gotten into the cranked-out snares, and they just keep cranking more and more. I keep waiting for the pendulum to swing, and for snares to have balls again. Guess I'm showing my age, wanting drums to have balls, eh? Back when I was marching drum corps, the whole idea was to see who could get the deepest and ballsiest snare sound...every corps had a formula for venting the shells to get the pitch down and the projection up.

We had one drum with about 20 2" holes bored in it, and we experimented with plugging and unplugging those until we came up with what we thought was the ultimate formula--then we drilled all the drums to match. I forget which corps it was that actually cut a full ring around the shell, so that the hardware was holding the top and bottom halves together.

Now, snarelines might as well just strap a 2 x 12 on, and beat on that. I just don't get it. There's no musical precedent for it, it's a sound completely isolated to marching percussion--which I find so weird.

(feeling very old)

Well i grew up in a modern marching band environment and i love the feeling of a cranked snare that feels like a piece of concrete , but thats just me.

And i think that DS Soundware is Donnie Christian Studios now, so perhaps i should email him to find out more about their marching percusion....
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

I have the DS Marching Battery for Giga. I'm NOT a percussionist - I use it to realize the parts my assistant writes for my high school marching band. For that purpose, it sounds great. I don't need to try to fool any professional ears with it.

It was only about $50 when I got it a couple years ago, and it imports to Kontakt/K2 fine. I'm not sure where you could get it these days!

Bruce, yes, you are old. I keep trying to pick you out on the old DCI videos I have. Mid 80's Sky Ryders?

--Eric

Go Back to forum