• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Solo trumpet

Share/Bookmark

Solo trumpet

Hi everyone,

Which libs have the best solo orchestral trumpet in your opinion please?

Thanks,
    Joanne

Re: Solo trumpet

Well... in 9 out of 10 instances I would prefere VSL due to the legato. You might be able to find others that sound better to your ears, but the legato makes solo trumpet lines sound awesome.

Try synful www.synful.com , you won´t regret!!!
    Leo
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

I dont get the synful stuff...I have tried it and I think its aweful....at first I thought it was a bad joke but I see some people claiming that it is awesome so maybe is the way I am using it whats causing the problem. I tried it with previously done midi files (great quality GM files) and neither the violin nor trumpet sounded real at all, in fact it was one of the worst sounds ive heard since those 8mb GM soundfont days.... Perhaps you can tell me how to use it better cause I am always looking for a better solo trumpet.
    Regards

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Well, as a trumpet player, I'm going to say the most convincing solo trumpet will be a plumbing device with a drunk attached to the small end.

I have never successfully used any sampled trumpet to get a convincing solo line. Not possible. While Synful also sounds decent, it's sure not fooling anyone.

So, if the line is a hero line, I would not use a sample, ever. It will just sound like crap, and will be a bunch of nothing when it's all said and done. You don't want to do that to something as precious as your music, do you?

Now, if you're not making a "hero" part, and you have some ensemble trickery with which to hide the seams, I'd put VSL out front. The player they sampled is very facile, has nice attacks, and the sample is really consistent. It is by far the most consistent trumpet sample I've heard from articulation to articulation, and you can get a lot of mileage out of just the multisampled legatos. It's also a C-Trumpet, which is the orchestral norm. It has a slightly more compact timbre than a Bb Trumpet, more apparent in the lower dynamic ranges. Contrary to what I've heard mentioned a few times, a C Trumpet will get very brassy. The VSL trumpet does not have what I'd call an acid-tone fortissimo, but it has a good firm tone which would be useful in all but the most blastissimo parts. Players rarely enter that lacquer-peeling range anyway. The orchestration is more often than not responsible for those super bright passages, combinations with cymbals, upper woodwinds, etc., which "zing" the part along.

If you are using a good convolver, Dan Dean's solo trumpet is very deeply sampled, and he sampled Allen Vizzutti, who is probably one of the finest players of our time (although Vizzutti is credited with a pseudonym, it's really him). If I am remembering correctly, the trumpet he was playing was a Monette, which is one of the finest instruments of its kind--these are extremely braced, heavy horns which project a huge core.

If you are trying to fit the Dan Dean solo trumpet into a larger ensemble context, I suggest you use one channel or the other, not the stereo image, because it will image a bit "spread" and wide in stereo.

With all the trumpet samples, you're going to be somewhat limited in how you move from velocity to velocity. Even Dan's which is pretty deep at eight layers, will give you some tremendous timbre-leaps. So, you have to be clever about using velocity as expression. You're better off using velocity as a timbre choice, then using CC11 to shape the lines within a particular velocity. This will keep your imaging and tone more consistent.

Hope that helps. Trumpet samples are useful, don't get me wrong. But if you really mean solo trumpet as in an out-front, solo, part...forget it. There's not one available for that which would fool even the most naive listener, so I'd say don't even waste your time. Find a player, be done in a few easy takes, and live happily ever after.

I recently posted a synful demo here http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35310 , it shows very well how good synful sounds...a lot of people (professionals and non-professional) heard it , and simply none of them realized it was made on a computer and neither complained about the sound quality...using GM midi files will never work with any kind of sample or syth librarie , lots of changes must be done to make it sound a least OK with the software - technology will never make miracle for you...also , synful is very dry and using the rigth reverbs is really important!!!
    Leo
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

Dan Dean has the best solo trumpet, imo

wow Leo,

didnt listen to it before, it has maybe the best synful usage i heard until now. very convincing.

Luca

Project Sam Brass: Solo Sessions

Quote Originally Posted by leogardini
    I recently posted a synful demo here http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35310 , it shows very well how good synful sounds...a lot of people (professionals and non-professional) heard it , and simply none of them realized it was made on a computer and neither complained about the sound quality...using GM midi files will never work with any kind of sample or syth librarie , lots of changes must be done to make it sound a least OK with the software - technology will never make miracle for you...also , synful is very dry and using the rigth reverbs is really important!!!
    When you say changes...what type of changes you mean? Any links to a guide for a noob here?
    Regards

Go Back to forum