• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: It's not Sample Libraries Replacing Musicians - It's Robots!

Share/Bookmark

It's not Sample Libraries Replacing Musicians - It's Robots!

Last year we reported on robots that can play a trumpet. A 48-inch tall robot played "When you wish upon a star" with a trumpet swaying naturally to the rhythm of the famous song from the Disney cartoon film Pinocchio.
    It even bowed to the audience and waved its arms to respond to applause following the brief performance. And the robot "QRIO" conducted the Tokyo Phiharmonic Orchestra performing part of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.

Now there's more of them and they're getting better!

The World Robot Expo is going on right now in Japan. The exhibition is displaying prototypes of robots that play musical instruments. Robotics proponents believe that growth in the robotics industry will grow rapidly in the coming decade. And they hope that soon robots will become common. The market for robots is estimated to reach $14 billion by 2010 and $37 billion by 2025.

Not only can they play music but do many other things. One acted like a videophone, mimicking the movements of the sender and displaying a picture of them on its face. Another robot drew pictures of the visitors at the convention. Another was hitting hit a rubber ball with a plastic baseball bat and another could put together a comedy routine. The robot "Repliee Q1" is covered with a substance similar to skin, simulates breathing and moves its mouth like it is talking.

Beware Musicians - i Robots are here!

Re: It's not Sample Libraries Replacing Musicians - It's Robots!

The beginning of........ The War Against the Mach ine ine ine ines sssss.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    The beginning of........ The War Against the Mach ine ine ine ines sssss.
    Maybe just a fatal seduction. Humans could become quite lazy and intellectually inferior to artifical life. We will a least make fun pets for them I hope. Their surrogate children.

Maybe this is what we have all been waiting for - a robot orchestra playing real acoustic instruments in your basement. Personal orchestra indeed..

You know, there is a certain logic in putting effort into programming a robot to play an instrument rather than attempting to recreate the instrument. After all, the instruments exist and (yeah it's redundant to say, but) they sound like the instruments they are. If we all had a Garritan Personal Music Robot we could tell it what to play and it would reproduce faithful performances on real instruments. The problem of making computers mimic these sounds would be moot. Downside: Only one (maybe two or three given a few extra arms ) performances at a time. You would have to multi-track like mad to record an orchestra. PLUS have access to instruments. But the sound would be amazing. Perhaps studios could rejuvinate business by offereing such a service to composers.

Artoo-Deetoo where ARE you?
    [beep bleep razz]

Seriously.... I don't like where this is headed, all sci-fi aside.

Of course, this whole thing is just to develop robot -machines for men with overactive libidos or no willing human recipients.... I'm not joking.
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax
    Of course, this whole thing is just to develop robot -machines for men with overactive libidos or no willing human recipients.... I'm not joking.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa- just forget it.

Stepford Wibots. The ultimate solution to the overpopulation problem...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

If the ultimate goal is to take ALL of the heart and soul out of music making, then maybe we should find something else to do

As long as they don't talk like William Shatner and walk like Frankenstein... I've got that covered. I Am a Robot
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Go Back to forum