• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: need help! Gigastudio crashes loading performance

Share/Bookmark

need help! Gigastudio crashes loading performance

Hi,

out of the sudden Gigastudio crashes when loading the .gsp i am working on. Everything else works fine, but the program fails on this particular .gsp, and i desperately need a quick fix because i am approaching a deadline. It is a 28 channel performance, fine tuned, i don't think i can do it all from scratch.. i saved a demo mixdown, i like the sound very much, now i need to change some things in the arrangement and it is not possible. Is there any chance i can open a performance outside Giga to see what the problem is? I didn't install or change anything in my DAW recently, that should be the problem. I don't want to reinstall, i suppose i will have to register again, and that will take some time i suppose.

please help!
    Karin
    P4 3600
    2 Gig Ram (56% load)
    Asus PGD1pro
    Ati Radeon x800
    2x m-audio Delta66+ Delta omni
    Cubase SX3
    Winxp sp2

Re: need help! Gigastudio crashes loading performance

Did you change any of your configuration settings on your system (move files, remap drives etc)?

Did you try disabling any Quick Search features or additional features in GIGA so that it launches w/o overhead?

Can you post the file somewhere temporary so we can look at it? If not, perhaps TASCAM has a utility through their tech support

That sucks.
    Try popping a gig of ram out of the box. Seems like a lot trouble in Giga w/2gigs. I suffer peroidically from similar issues.
    Looks from you ram loading count that you are in almost the same situation as me.....upgraded to 2 gigs, ended up with not much more laod capacity.
    Maybe if you remove a gig, you'll still be able to load your performance, and it will actually work.
    I'm can't guarantee.....so please don't curse me if you try this and it fails. Just a thought.

Belbin

I had this problem, but memory didn't make a bit of difference. It turned out to be a corrupt file.

If memory is an issue, make sure you tweaked the memory configuration settings. I am getting almost 98% on 2 gigs, or approx 1200 meg usable.

Hi

i'll try to see if i can post that file somewhere. I am pretty sure i didn't change anything at all on my system, the only thing i did was shutting down the computer and rebooted. I'll try the trick with the memory, but i also tend to think my file is corrupted somehow. Do you think a Hex editor could help? I really don't know the structure of .gsp files, but i suppose the are just pointers to the Gigastudio settings. Anyway, i just started reconstructing everything from scratch, wish me luck . I think i had achieved a very nice and even sound balance, i hope i can do it again, i will be even prouder.

thank you all
    very much
    Karin

A hex editor could work, but it would involve some information from Tech Support to understand the file structure. Looking at the file with a hex editor might help you figure out what your settings were set to before the crash occurred if you wanted to create a new file from scratch. So, it might prove useful to take a look before Tech Support gets back to you with more detailed information and your immediate reconstruction effort.

karin66, just the other day I had a .gsp file that loaded all the sounds and as soon as the loading was done I got the microsoft box that says do you want to report this bug to Microsoft?

I rebooted and tried a few more times and it would do the same thing every time. I tried opening a few other .gsp files and they all opened correctly,
    what a load of crap huh? I had to reload everything in a new .gsp file.

I too assumed that the file was corrupt, but I did nothing that would cause that to happen as far as I know.

dpDan

Yeah, I have had problems with LARGE configurations. I have since taken the precaution of backing up a copy of all my .gsp's. I am using 2.54 though.

I am still of my original opinion that GS is a lousy designed and tested product. I am now experimenting with alternatives - K2, as well as LinuxSampler (once I get PC up and runnning next week).

Hello,

thank you all for your answers,

i did manage to make a similar sounding .gsp after some hours of work, thats settled for now. Newmewzikboy, that is a wonderful idea, i will try to compare the new .gsp with the old one in a hex editor, to see what i have missed on the settings, thanks.....

By the way, DPDAN, did you have a Gigapulse instance on one of the AUX busses in your corrupted .gsp? I think gigapulse might be the culpid (sorry, i don't know how to spell this word ), i can't really back it up, but it seems to me that the most of the Gigastudio crashes are somehow Gigapulse related....

regards
    Karin

Hi Karin66,

No, I did not have any gigapulse sounds or any giga pulse IR convolution runnning at all.
    If I use Gigapulse convolution reverb in a project, (not very often) I set it up in a separate .gsp and use it with aux sends from my Mac computer because I record everythning to audio tracks for mixing. It's just the way i have been doing things.

Hi Newmusicboy, I read that you got GPO, did you get it going yet?

dpDan

Go Back to forum