Topic: Discomposure While At Prayer - Symphony Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Discomposure While At Prayer - Symphony Orchestra

Discomposure While At Prayer
    By David Sosnowski
    For Symphony Orchestra
    From South Mountain Sketchbook

www.DavidSosnowski.com

This is another of those very brief sketches.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Re: Discomposure While At Prayer - Symphony Orchestra

david...ya know, about a day or two ago i was wondering when we'd be hearing your next piece...how odd...

excellent styling here...and i love what you have going on with the horn and strings at the beginning and end...what's also very interesting is how you sort of ride the fringes of tonality...i don't know when you named the piece but the title is perfect! i thoroughly enjoyed this...thanks!

josh

Fascinating title and a fascinating piece,I like the way you use the trumpet in this piece.It has a Mahlerish feeling when the orchestra is siezed by those convulsive spasms.
    Doubt overcoming certainty ?????
    regards

Josh, Joaz, thank you for the comments and the listen. I must admit I'm uncertain of this piece -- it works at capturing a state of mind, and I don't know that it's successful at that, musically.

Josh, a development technique I often use is chromatic harmonic variation, as in the two variations on the opening chorale section. Though it stretches the edges of tonality, the ear seems to make good sense of it.

Joaz, you're a mind-reader. Although I do not "pray" in the sense of kneeling down and saying "prayers", I do have a nightly meditative talk with Whomever Runs The Place. Generally that's a peaceful process, rather like the chorale sections at the beginning, middle, and end. But sometimes that talk is uncomfortably disrupted by matters that are troubling me. In the end, though, I usually return to tranquility, as my peculiar brand of faith reasserts itself.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wow David!!! Something to really get our teeth into here. With my rather limit musical knowledge, it took me a few listens to get to grips with what was going on. Satisfyingly complex, both musically and emotionally. I enjoyed it very much.

I love the lively nature of your orchestration....you get the sense of the piece being a living thing beyond the composer and listener which I always admire in music.

I didn't notice any use the percussion section (did I miss some? ). I am a lover of a bit of bombast in the right place and would have put in there myself Is there a reason why you didn't?

Anyway, wonderful stuff...

Tom.
    --------------------------------------
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomboswell

David,
    excellent as usual, but unusual also.

Your ability writing episodes is very good. You are certainly able to create big forms, simply planning the structure and the meaning and place of every single component. Then writing components as episodes.

But probably a so huge form (a symphony? a symphonic poem?) should be less easy to listen than your wonderful sketch. Then going on writing sketches from your soul experiences is probably the right way now, congratulations.

Ciao,

Fabio.

Quote Originally Posted by tboswell
    Wow David!!! Something to really get our teeth into here. With my rather limit musical knowledge, it took me a few listens to get to grips with what was going on. Satisfyingly complex, both musically and emotionally. I enjoyed it very much.
    Thank you, Tom. Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but only when it does not inhibit understanding. The ear, mind, and heart are the ultimate arbiters.

I love the lively nature of your orchestration....you get the sense of the piece being a living thing beyond the composer and listener which I always admire in music.
    That's a surprisingly insightful statement. Though it is oftentimes not a conscious goal of composers, perhaps it truly should be!

I didn't notice any use the percussion section (did I miss some? ). I am a lover of a bit of bombast in the right place and would have put in there myself. Is there a reason why you didn't?
    I admit it. I confess. I was sorely tempted to tart this up with percussion and harp runs and a rocket blast or two... lol. But it would have been inconsistent with the idea of what is essentially a chorale prayer interrupted by misgivings and doubts. Sometimes less is more...

Thank you, Tom, for listening.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I think this is excellent work! Wish I could write like this! I could see this as perfect accompaniment to a silent movie. Maybe it's just me. I tend to imagine the wrong things when i listen to a piece of music sometimes.

Thanks David for sharing more of your wonderful work.

Regards,
    Kin
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    David, excellent as usual, but unusual also.
    Thank you for the kind words, my friend!

Your ability writing episodes is very good. You are certainly able to create big forms, simply planning the structure and the meaning and place of every single component. Then writing components as episodes.
    For smaller work, very simple forms are often best -- such as the variated rondo of this piece.

But probably a so huge form (a symphony? a symphonic poem?) should be less easy to listen than your wonderful sketch. Then going on writing sketches from your soul experiences is probably the right way now, congratulations.
    In a large work, such brief "episodic" structure would, I think, be tiring to the ear and ineffective -- and I would not take such an approach.

Form and structure grow from the thematic material, the overall concept of a piece, and the requirement to build the piece in the listener's mind in an orderly, comprehensible manner... and larger pieces tend to require more subtle and more complex form and structure.

I continue to post only small compositions for a very simple technical reason -- I am at the very edge of system resources. I am, though, in the process of piecemeal scoring my fourth symphony with GPO; but I do not think that will be ready until late next year, after I can upgrade to new equipment.

Thank you again for listening, Fabio -- your comments are always insightful.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David,

Excellent! This is transcending - one of those works that really defies description. I've listened four times already and each time glean something new. The title certainly is perfect as Josh mentioned. Truly inspired.

Thanks for sharing your Discomposure while at Prayer.

Amen!

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast