• Register
  • Help

Topic: AMD and Giga Products: Any solution?

Share/Bookmark

AMD and Giga Products: Any solution?

I own a machine with an Athlon processor and would like to buy Gigasampler or GigaStudio. Tech folks at Nemesys are not encouraging, limiting compatibility to Athlon processors with KX133, KZ133, or KT 133 chipsets. My chipset is an AMD 750, consisting of the AMD 751 Irongate North bridge and the AMD 756 Viper South bridge. I don\'t doubt that the Nemesys folks know what they\'re talking about, but I wonder whether anyone has had this problem and has any solutions. Or am I simply out of luck without a Pentium (can\'t afford to replace my whole system just yet)?
    Appreciate any suggestions.

Re: AMD and Giga Products: Any solution?

I hope you are not right, however I had it running well on a PII machine and for some reason decided to go the AMD route with my upgrade. Now even though the drivers load and everything checks out OK, I get no cpu usage indicated nor can I get the midi to activate the sample?! It quite possibly could be the chipset though NEMESYS has not mentioned that as an issue to me yet with my problems. I will let you know if I get more info.

I appreciate your comment, which seems to bear out what I have learned. If you learn something more, let me know, as will I if find out anything more. Meanwhile best of luck.

I have the AMD 760 chipset and everything works fine. But I think some sound cards have trouble with the AMD 750 chipset.

I don\'t know which chipsets I have, but I\'ve had an Athlon 500 with an FIC SD11 MB, and now have an Athlon TBird 750 with an Asus A7V MB.
    No problem with Giga and the computer. However I did have an Aureal soundcard which did not work, and my Echo Darla did not work with the FIC MB.
    I would recommend trying a different sound card. Check the list for a GSIF compatible card and you shouldn\'t have any problem.
    Boyd

Hi, not had many problems with my set up and its \"only \"a Duron.

Duron 750
    128M Hyundai Ram
    Abit KT7 raid
    IBM Deskstar 30G
    SBlaster Live 1024

Spot

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spottydog10:
    Hi, not had many problems with my set up and its \"only \"a Duron.

Duron 750
    128M Hyundai Ram
    Abit KT7 raid
    IBM Deskstar 30G
    SBlaster Live 1024

Spot
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to have double-clicked a minute ago (empty message).

It seems to me that a number of you are making it through with Athlons, though no one of you has my exact setup, and this is an area where small differences can be big trouble. I wish that I could donwload a trial version of Giga, which might give a general clue about compatability. (No guarantee, but some idea.) But I don\'t find such an option on the website. I guess I have to take the plunge and try it, or not. I will await a few more comments, and if I buy a Giga product, I will be sure to come back to the forum and let you know how it is going. Again, thanks.

GigaSampler will work fine with ANY Athlon.

If you got your info about the AMDK6 from the NemeSys website, that simply means that you should have AT LEAST a AMDK6. The entire Athlon family is significantly more powerful than the K6 family, so you are safe with any Athlon.

Another thing about the \'System Requirements\' website (www.nemesysmusic.com/products/gigacompare.html):
    There are are two rows for the processor (minimum and recommended), each with the polyphony(voices) you can expect with the specified processor. The \'recommended\' processor specs should get you the advertized polyphony. The \'minimum\' specs should allow you to use the GigaX sampler in a reasonable manner, but you will not get the maximum polyphony of the product.

Hope that helps.

I seem to remember there was a demo on Computer music or something.

Spot

Go Back to forum