• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which Driver To Use In SONAR?

Share/Bookmark

Question Which Driver To Use In SONAR?

I'm using the ASIO4All driver in GPO. It's the only one that will allow for smooth playback. In SONAR 4 Producer Edition, I'm stuck with the WDM/KS Driver Mode. Anything else, including ASIO, will cause SONAR to freeze up. With WDM/KS, however, I can't record any audio into the audio channels. For now, I'm using GPO's built-in Record feature, which works just fine, but is there a way to record audio in SONAR under these circumstances?

Re: Which Driver To Use In SONAR?

Danny,
    You must be using an SB. What is you CPU speed in GHz?

I have ASIO4ALL on my old machine, which has an SBLive and is a 2GHz P4. I found that I had to:

-- turn off the DMA option
    -- set the buffer slider to the max setting.

This is done from within SONAR--Options=>Audio. Click the "ASIO Panel" button on the bottom of the "General" tab.

I found that the WDM/KS drivers work better, though. Have you tried bumping up the latency on the WDM/KS drivers?

I'm not sure why you can't record audio. Could you say a bit more about what you're doing. Have you set the record option on the SB to "What U Hear"?.
    Bill

Question Re: Which Driver To Use In SONAR?

I have a P4 2.4GHz processor and an SB Audigy Platinum with all the latest drivers and updates, 1.5GB of DDR memory.

I have the latency setting in SONAR set all the way to Slow. I have also tried using GPO as a DXi and as a VST and I still can't record audio.

I've also tried "What U Hear" as well as "Wave" and "MIDI Synth." Still nothing.

I haven't tried turning off the DMA option. I assume you're referring to the hard drive setting.

Quote Originally Posted by danny7
    I haven't tried turning off the DMA option. I assume you're referring to the hard drive setting.
    I'm referring to the "Direct DMA Buffer" option that is displayed on the ASIO property sheet when you click the "ASIO Panel" button on the "General" tab on the "Audio Options" in SONAR. But that's only relevant if you use the ASIO drivers in SONAR. If you're using MME or WDM/KS in SONAR it's not relevant.

What procedure are you using to record audio in SONAR?

If you have a midi track in SONAR that you want to render to audio, you can use "Bounce to Track(s)" or "Freeze".

For bounce to track, you must select both the midi track and the GPO Audio/DXi (VSTi) track through which the midi is playing before you do "Bounce to Tracks". You can selectively record individual tracks using this method. The synth voices are not unloaded as they are in freeze.

For freeze, you right-click the track and click "Freeze Synth". This is typically used to render all of the voices that are being played throught the synth instance. At this point, the synth voices are unloaded. This is reversible.
    Bill

Smile Re: Which Driver To Use In SONAR?

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    I'm referring to the "Direct DMA Buffer" option that is displayed on the ASIO property sheet when you click the "ASIO Panel" button on the "General" tab on the "Audio Options" in SONAR. But that's only relevant if you use the ASIO drivers in SONAR.
    OK, that's something I wasn't aware of. I've switched to ASIO in SONAR. However, there is nothing called "Direct DMA Buffer" in the General tab or the ASIO property sheet.

I'll try recording audio now and see if it works. Thanks!

Question Re: Which Driver To Use In SONAR?

OK, I tried it and here's what happened:

SONAR recorded audio, but...

1. The audio is uneven during playback, lots of crackling noise and

2. The Steinway piano now sounds like an electric piano an octave lower. Yuck!

Quote Originally Posted by danny7
    OK, I tried it and here's what happened:

SONAR recorded audio, but...

1. The audio is uneven during playback, lots of crackling noise and

2. The Steinway piano now sounds like an electric piano an octave lower. Yuck!
    If you want to stick with ASIO, set the latency all the way to max. If it sounds good, then start reducing the latency. Watch the SONAR CPU meter. If it starts flicking into the yellow, you're latency is too low.

I just checked my old DAW (SBLive/2.0Ghz P4) and I'm using the MME drivers. My latency is set at 40 ms. This configuration works fine, although the latency is too high to play in real time--there's a noticeable delay between synth keypress and sound.

With the MME drivers and the old SBLive, I can load a small baroque orchestra and it all works fine.

The piano and other instruments such as the timpani, which have high polyphony, will stress your system. It's the polyphony that gets you.

On my old system, the ASIO4ALL drivers were not very effective.

I'm not a knee-jerk SB basher, but I have noticed that many SB and Audigy users have encountered just the sorts of problems you're experiencing. For my money, I would look into an alternative soundcard. Many folks on this forum are using the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96. I'm not recommending it, because I don't have one, but maybe others will post here that have direct experience with it. They're about $100US, maybe less.
    Bill

Smile Re: Which Driver To Use In SONAR?

Thanks for the info. I'll try the latency solution. I'll also look into that M-Audio card. I'm not a brand loyalist, so I'll go for whatever's best.

Again, thanks.

Go Back to forum