• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pitch Tracking feature

Share/Bookmark

Question Pitch Tracking feature

I was reading the manuel to GS3 (still don't have it set up yet) and there was a pitch tracking feature mentioned when dragging samples (in the instrument editor) from where the samples are to the region with the left mouse button vs. the right mouse button. The left button enabled this "pitch tracking".

What is it?

Does it take a look at the base frequency and move it slightly up or down to fit the key you drag the sample to? If so, is this how you stretch a single sample through a whole three note range or something? Does this mean that the recordings don't have to be precisely in tune to get a decent instrument?

Thanks,

-Chris

Re: Pitch Tracking feature

I'm not positive, but this might relate to the pitch that samples are played at on different keys. Here's an example:

You map a single piano sample to two keys. You want one note to be played normally, and the other to be played with a half step shift. Now do the same with a percussion sample. In this case you don't want the pich shift.

One step that's always required when making a gig is to map your pitches. Gigastudio makes this process really easy.

So, what's this about not having GS3 properly setup yet? What are you waiting for?

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    So, what's this about not having GS3 properly setup yet? What are you waiting for?

-JF
    I my case a registration "key"; MY 5 DAYS IS NOW UP...:>(

d

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I'm not positive, but this might relate to the pitch that samples are played at on different keys. Here's an example:

You map a single piano sample to two keys. You want one note to be played normally, and the other to be played with a half step shift. Now do the same with a percussion sample. In this case you don't want the pich shift.

One step that's always required when making a gig is to map your pitches. Gigastudio makes this process really easy.

-JF
    Thanks, JF.
    But will vibrato samples confuse giga?
    And what if the sample is slightly out of tune? Will giga correct that?

And I'm not properly set up yet 'cause I'm waiting for nothing but simple $MONEY$!!! It's taking forever! I need a whole new computer for Gigastudio and the only way to get the 2000 dollars for it is to just wait for gift money, allowence, and my job's pay to add up. I'm still $1000 short! I have $2000 in my bank account, but Mom wants me to keep a $1000 reserve, which is perfectly understandable--no complaints--I'm just REALLY impatient at these things. I have the ENTIRE system picked out: the motherboard, hard drives, CPU, sound card, video card, CD/DVD drive, RAM, monitor, case, and power supply, (haven't got a mouse yet, though).

Am I missing something? Just wanted to make sure. I don't want to have an incomplete computer!

~sigh~

-Chris

My understanding of the term Pitch Tracking is in terms of release samples-Giga tracks the level and voice parameters of a sample, and plays the release at corresponding settings....of coursethat's not what you're talking about.

I'd say you'r pitch tracking has something to do with "Guess from filename", in the GS Edit options, which tells giga to make the unity note match any note desription that's contained in the filename.....eg. c#1 will be automatically mapped to c#1 as the sample unity note, no matter where you drag it to on the keyboard. Maybe that's the lright drag, and the left drage puts it wherever you drop it or somesuch.

Tuning in Giga is YOUR problem. Make sure your cello is good and tune before you sample it!! You can fix tuning errors in giga, but it won't do it for you.

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    My understanding of the term Pitch Tracking is in terms of release samples-Giga tracks the level and voice parameters of a sample, and plays the release at corresponding settings....of coursethat's not what you're talking about.

I'd say you'r pitch tracking has something to do with "Guess from filename", in the GS Edit options, which tells giga to make the unity note match any note desription that's contained in the filename.....eg. c#1 will be automatically mapped to c#1 as the sample unity note, no matter where you drag it to on the keyboard. Maybe that's the lright drag, and the left drage puts it wherever you drop it or somesuch.

Tuning in Giga is YOUR problem. Make sure your cello is good and tune before you sample it!! You can fix tuning errors in giga, but it won't do it for you.

Belbin
    Thanks, Belbin!
    As long as you can fix tuning in Giga somehow--manuel or not. Some woodwind instruments are hard to keep in tune, like flute C#s and Bbs and bassoon high As (don't know about other isntruments)

-Chris

Chris,

GS3 doesn't autotune stuff, so vibrato is no probelm. You can adjust the fine tuning, but it's up to the developer to decide how to tweak each sample.

You've a $1k for a PC? That will just about do it if you build your own. And it will be a nice, fast machine. It won't be the fastest machine on the planet, but it will rival any store bought $2k machine.

-JF

Go Back to forum