• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: From Giga to Kontakt

Share/Bookmark

From Giga to Kontakt

I'm considering moving from Giga to Kontakt, but I'm concerned about compatibility of formats.

Do Giga files transfer well?
    Do they retain things like key-switches and mod wheel crossfades?
    Does Kontakt use more or less RAM per large sample than Giga?

Would Kontakt likely have any problems with something huge like Sonic Implants Symphonic Strings?

Any help is welcome.

Thanks

Re: From Giga to Kontakt

The best format converter I've used is CDXtract. The latest version does an excellent job of converting giga files to Kontakt's .nki format. For keyswitching it's dead on. However I don't use many crossfade patches so I can't be sure they'll translate well.

I use SISS to... converting the ensemble patches is seamless and in 1.53 w/1GB ram, they open very fast. Now with that said, you may find that you need more ram using Kontakt. I'm about to upgrade to 2GB, but that's only because I've invested in some Spectrasonics softsynths and they're demanding a lot when used with Kontakt and my larger libs. Plus Kontakt 2.0 (if I upgrade down the road) may demand more as well. Hope this helps.

Jon

Angry Re: From Giga to Kontakt

I've used GS2.5 for several years. I haven't had any prior experience with Kontakt, but, I purchased the full version of K2 about a week ago. I'm still in the process of studying K2, so I'm by no means an expert. However, I can tell you that while the built-in format conversion process is very easy to use, it by no means does a flawless job (at least not as far as converting .gig files).

So far, I've tried converting only 3 of my .gig files. One of these files has a 16-way key-switch and K2 rendered it with only a 14-way switch. The other two .gig files each have 8-way keyswitching and these converted OK as far as the keyswitching is concerned. However, many other things about the conversions do not appear to be correct.

For example, one of my .gig files is a solo clarinet with 16 articulations. Some of the sustained sounds seem to have a much softer (slower) attack, even though the volume envelope was properly converted to have a zero rise time. Some of the sustained sounds have mod-wheel controlled LFO vibrato in the .gig files but the K2 version doesn't seem to have this at all.

I have also noticed that several features relative to .gig to K2 format conversion either do not seem to work as indicated in the K2 manual or are missing entirely. For example, K2 supposedly has an option to import a keyswitched instrument as several individual instruments or as a 'Multi'. The optional checkbox to import as a 'Multi' is nowhere to be found and the process itself does not split the keyswitched instrument into separate instruments.

However, I hasten to point out that I have not fully investigated this situation yet and, since I'm new to Kontakt, the possibility of 'cockpit' trouble looms large. So, consider this as perhaps a somewhat premature warning that all may not yet be working right in this area.

Bob
    Big Bob (aka Wonderful Bob)

Thanks for your review and your experimentation. Watching this thread has made my decision to stick to 2.54 for the time being.

I'm starting to think I might stay with Giga 2.54 as well.

What really attracts me to Kontakt is that I can use it as a plug-in and save it within the Sonar file. And also, that I can freeze the track and render it to audio quickly. Right now, I have to play everything through to go from Giga to audio, and sometimes I have to play it through 8 or 10 times if I want to seperate each instrument or group.

This takes a lot of time, obviously.

On the other hand, if I lose the functionality of the instruments, I haven't gained anything.

Has anyone ever tried Chicken Translator? It's supposed to have the best format conversions. I wondered if it did a better job.

Has anyone ever tried Chicken Translator? It's supposed to have the best format conversions. I wondered if it did a better job.
    I've been told that the converter in K2 was implemented by the guru who did 'Chicken Translator'.
    Big Bob (aka Wonderful Bob)

Smile Re: From Giga to Kontakt

I've had Kontakt 2 for a few weeks now. In the past my only "full" softSampler was HALion (2, then upgraded to 3).

I was pleasantly surprised that K2 takes a refreshing view of "Importing Nnon-Native Files" (p. 75 of the manual)"
    KONTAKT 2 can transparently load practically any Sample or Instrument file, without elaborate import functions of external utilities.
    True to its word, drag-and-drop works remarkably well. Granted, I've not yet tried importing complicated patches (such as KeySwitches) but I just did a quick search on ".gig" files and played with some "drag-and-drop imports" and everything seemed to function as expected.

i hope this helps ... KevinKauai

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo50
    Right now, I have to play everything through to go from Giga to audio, and sometimes I have to play it through 8 or 10 times if I want to seperate each instrument or group.
    This is a limitation of your audio card, not GS.
    GS will only render as many tracks as you have audio outputs.
    If you get a 1010 or a layla, your work will go a lot quicker!

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo50
    I'm considering moving from Giga to Kontakt, but I'm concerned about compatibility of formats.

Do Giga files transfer well?
    Do they retain things like key-switches and mod wheel crossfades?
    Does Kontakt use more or less RAM per large sample than Giga?

Would Kontakt likely have any problems with something huge like Sonic Implants Symphonic Strings?
    Dont do this! The performance of gigastudio is much better then K2.
    Kontakt needs more memory.
    Digital AudionetworX

Quote Originally Posted by Digital AudionetworX
    Dont do this! The performance of gigastudio is much better then K2. Kontakt needs more memory.
    Like I stated earlier Kontakt 1.53 does prefer more ram, but with memory prices so low these days it's really a non-issue unless your motherboard is incapable of an upgrade.

I gotta tell you... having a Sonar/Kontakt "all in one" DAW has made life a lot easier. The ability to process samples and softsynth plugins together in Sonar is really incredible. Sonically there is probably a slight difference in sound when performing GS conversions, but once you combine these with other elements of the mix, including Kontakt 24-bit samples (and in my case some notable Spectrasonics and EastWest plugin creations), it's irrelevant.

Go Back to forum