• Register
  • Help

Topic: Setting Volumes in GPO

Share/Bookmark

Setting Volumes in GPO

Folks. I'm just getting to grips with GPO - first tune almost ready. I have a problem though. I'm using Sonar 3 with GPO and I either loose my French horns or they blow my head off. Instruments load with the minimum volume (i think) so my problem is how to set instrument volumes relative to one and other in GPO - are there any handy rules of thumb or does it come down to experimenting? I'm still trying to figure out how to set the volumes of each instrument is sonar - when I move what I take to be the volume slider up and down it doesn't seem to have any affect on how loud a track sounds. Cheers, CD

Re: Setting Volumes in GPO

Quote Originally Posted by ColinD
    Folks. I'm just getting to grips with GPO - first tune almost ready. I have a problem though. I'm using Sonar 3 with GPO and I either loose my French horns or they blow my head off. Instruments load with the minimum volume (i think) so my problem is how to set instrument volumes relative to one and other in GPO - are there any handy rules of thumb or does it come down to experimenting? I'm still trying to figure out how to set the volumes of each instrument is sonar - when I move what I take to be the volume slider up and down it doesn't seem to have any affect on how loud a track sounds. Cheers, CD
    Colin,
    2 things.

1. Whether or not the midi volume in SONAR will affect the GPO player volumes is determined by a setting on the "Options" property sheet in the GPO player. Click the "Options" button (below the "Load" button). On the property sheet is the option : "Use Std CC#7 / CC#10 Volume and Pan"

If you turn this on, the SONAR volume and pan will control the respective controls in the players--all of them--this is a global setting.

2. There are 2 schools of thought about whether to turn this option on. Some users accept the inherent GPO instrument volumes and pans and therefore leave the setting off. In theory, the volumes are scaled correctly.

In practice, may of us (I include myself) turn this option on and adjust vol/pan from our sequencers (SONAR in my case). There is no right answer here.

But generally, if you turn the option on, you will find that midi volumes in the 40-80 range are fine. Above this and you risk audio distortion by overdriving the players. The default for volume of 101 in SONAR is too high.
    Bill

Thanks Bill. I was wondering that same thing!

Paul ( insert smiley here)
    AMD Athlon 64X2 4400+ 2.2GHz
    XP Pro 2GB Ram
    80GB OS, 160GB Audio, 320GB Samples
    Delta 66 Omni Sonar 5PE GPO, JABB

It appears to me that this question could be more related to the use of mod wheel data in Sonar for Expressive instruments. If that's what the question is actually about, the correct use of mod wheel data will eliminate this as a problem. Here's a link to a discussion on this subject:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ighlight=wheel

Tom

I've moved this thread to the "support" section.

Tom

Thumbs up Re: Setting Volumes in GPO

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    Colin,
    2 things.

1. Whether or not the midi volume in SONAR will affect the GPO player volumes is determined by a setting on the "Options" property sheet in the GPO player. Click the "Options" button (below the "Load" button). On the property sheet is the option : "Use Std CC#7 / CC#10 Volume and Pan"

If you turn this on, the SONAR volume and pan will control the respective controls in the players--all of them--this is a global setting.

2. There are 2 schools of thought about whether to turn this option on. Some users accept the inherent GPO instrument volumes and pans and therefore leave the setting off. In theory, the volumes are scaled correctly.

In practice, may of us (I include myself) turn this option on and adjust vol/pan from our sequencers (SONAR in my case). There is no right answer here.

But generally, if you turn the option on, you will find that midi volumes in the 40-80 range are fine. Above this and you risk audio distortion by overdriving the players. The default for volume of 101 in SONAR is too high.

Thanx Bill & Tom - CD

Go Back to forum