• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Layering instruments.. how?

Share/Bookmark

Layering instruments.. how?

Hello everyone!

Here's what I'm trying to do: I've got three orchestral GS instruments with different velocities; f, mf and p. I want to layer these so I can fade between them using the mod wheel. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks
    Oyvind

Re: Layering instruments.. how?

Quote Originally Posted by o.strandem
    Hello everyone!

Here's what I'm trying to do: I've got three orchestral GS instruments with different velocities; f, mf and p. I want to layer these so I can fade between them using the mod wheel. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks
    Oyvind
    Absolutely. Open the file in question using the editor. If the instruments are contained in more than one file, use "merge file" to import the others into the first one. Delete any instruments you don't want and save as a new gig.

Then, select the 3 instruments, and right click one of them. From the menu, choose, "combine instruments", and specify in the dialog by which means to combine them. (Use "Layer"....if you choose mod wheel, it will act as a switch-NOT a crossfader) Make sure you put them into the order you want etc.....hopefully their velocity split points are in the same layout for each, otherwise, the editor will make them all the same, effectively screwing up at least on of these instruments. Right click on the new instrument you just created, and choose, "crossfade editor". Drag the envelope points where you want for each layer, and select mod wheel from the drop-down list. Save and load for testing with your keyboard or sequencer.

Best of Luck,
    Belbin

Note that MOD wheel cross-fades don’t work well for solo instruments, as they overlap during the fade.

Thanks, just what I wanted to do!

Do you also know how I can create one instrument from two and switch between them using keyswitching?

Thanks again,
    Oyvind

Good point, bill. I find especially on instruments that have vibrato, it results in a flange-y kind of sound.

Thanks, just what I wanted to do!
    Do you also know how I can create one instrument from two and switch between them using keyswitching?

Thanks again,
    Oyvind
    Just use the same approach as for your previous question, and specify in the combine instruments dialog that you want to use "keyboard", instead of "Layer".

Belbin

Hello everyone!

Thanks
    Oyvind
    I'd recommend that buy the tutorial CD's. Not that expensive and there's a lot of basic info about this kind of thing.

Ernie

Have you downloaded the instrument editor PDF manuel?

http://www.tascamgiga.com/gs3manuals.html

there's also a plethura of other manuels.
    (I love that word: plethura )

-Chris

Thanks alot guys, will definitely get the tutorials..

One more question though.. When I have merged a lot of instruments, and used some and deleted some, I end up with a bunch of samples in the sample pool that I son't use. I don't know which samples are being used by the instruments. Is there a way to delete samples from the pool that are not being used by any of the instruments?

Thanks again
    Oyvind

Thanks alot guys, will definitely get the tutorials..

One more question though.. When I have merged a lot of instruments, and used some and deleted some, I end up with a bunch of samples in the sample pool that I son't use. I don't know which samples are being used by the instruments. Is there a way to delete samples from the pool that are not being used by any of the instruments?

Thanks again
    Oyvind
    use save as. there are a couple of checkboxes in the save as dialog that will allow to specify what to keep/not keep.

Belbin

How is this done if the patches are within the same GIG file?

Go Back to forum