• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hookin up 2 computers

Share/Bookmark

Hookin up 2 computers

Can anyone out there give me a simple explanation on how to set up a PC Gigastudio Computer to a Mac.

Please tell me if you have to have 2 soundcards or just Midi

If you have a 8in/out Analog Soundcard on the PC for GIga and a 8in/out for the MAc what advantage is there to it VS, only having a Midi Port from the Giga PC to the Midi of the MAc.

Can anyone explain the true set up and how these two Midi Hook up. And then Audio hookup works.

Do I have to have two soundcards or just need one? If I only have 1 soundcard what am I restricting myself to do?

Thanks

Charl

Re: Hookin up 2 computers

My best guess is that you need soundcards in each computer from which you want to hear sound.

I haven\'t heard anyone on this forum mention networking which would transmit Giga\'s audio signal (!)

So that means at least 2 soundcards with whatever type of IO you want.

You need TWO different types of connection for the Giga PC. Audio AND Midi.

An audio card will get the actual SOUND of the sampler out of the PC. Audio inputs on the soundcard would be useful if you plan on doing sample editing on the actual Giga PC. If not, just concentrate on getting good quality output. It\'s conceivable that you could get a (less expensive) digital only card for the Giga PC and send the Digital signal to the input on the Mac\'s soundcard (assuming it has Digital I/O). Of course this means you have to have the Mac on to hear the Giga.

Midi cards will allow your equencer or controller keyboard to fire the notes on Gigasampler. Midi doesn\'t carry audio as such.

For midi, regardless of what you do on the mac, get a four port midi interface for the Giga PC. I think Egosys do one, then there\'s Emagic\'s 8 port Unitor II and the new Steinberg one (Midex II or something). Stay away from USB if possible.

You\'ll need the four ports in order to get 64 channels. If you only need a maximum of 16 channels/instruments at any one time, you\'re laughing with a simple single port interface.

All this duplication of hardware was why I tried to get Giga and my audio sequencer running together - much more elegant too, but at this point in Wintel/Asio/GSIF/VST/MME/DXi development it just seems more trouble and time than the cost of the extra card/s.

Ultimately you end up sequencing and recording on your Mac and using the Giga PC as a sound module. You\'ll even be able to process the Giga via VST plugins on the Mac audio sequencer. You can obviously stay digital by going from the Giga PC back to your recorder via AES/EBU or SPdif. You just have to remember to make sure that everything (including Giga) is running at the same master clock speed - 48 or 44.1k or whatever.

Carl,

I have a system like you are describing. This is what I have right now and it works great.

Mac G4/400 (no soundcard right now) with a fastlane usb hooked up to a opcode midiport 32 on the PC (PIII 550,384 megs of ram). The PC has a Gina soundcard where I hear all the sound. Basically think of the PC as your sampler and you are just controlling everything from your Mac. I use Digital Performer on the Mac and it runs great. Also DP 3.0 should be out in the next couple of weeks. I have seen it and it is going to be awesome (5.1 mixing and everything). Anyway I hope this helps. let me know if you have any other questions.

Donnie

Thank you Chadwick, you made it very clear for me to understand. So the way I understand is if I have analog out on my PC audiocard going into Analog In on my Mac soundcard I could record Gigastudio directly as Audio, and use my midi in/out to my mac Midi in/out, which means I could record 16 channels of Midi and Audio(gigastudio sounds) all out simultaneously????.

How would you be able to get different Instrument Sounds selected as Audio to go through the Audio outputs on the soundcard connected to the Giga PC? ( Basically I want to know what the advantage would be purchasing a Soundcard for Giga PC that has 8 analog outs.) What will I be able to do with 8 Analog outs?

Thanks

Just to be clear, when you say \'record 16 channels of midi and audio simultaneously\', your not getting 32 \'channels\' of sound data.

The 16 midi channels of midi data which you are sending to Gigastudio are what causes the 16 audio channels of Gigastudio instruments to make audio signals.

The only thing you ever \'hear\' with a single midi port is 16 Gigastudio instruments playing back their audio. (Of course, each Gigastudio instrument can be stereo which in reality would create 32 streams of mono audio).

So the midi data you record into your sequencer on, say, midi track one of, say, Cakewalk, can make channel one of Gigastudio play its sound - say Piano.

It can do that all day and night, but you need:

1. the midi track on Cakewalk running

2. A piano loaded into Gigastudio on channel one

If you load a different sound into channel one of Gigastudio, your Cakewalk midi track will happily make that new sound play the piano part. You no longer hear piano.

A popular process is to

1. Build up a nice set of 16 instruments in your Gigastudio, which work as a bed for the arrangement.

2. Record your midi arrangement into Cakewalk and balance everything so that it sounds pretty much right.

3. Now that you have filled your available Gigastudio midi channels with sounds, you probably want to flesh the arrangement out some more - but you\'ve run out of available instrument slots in Giga (you\'re only using a single midi port remember), so you need to record the AUDIO output of Gigastudio into Cakewalk onto an AUDIO track. This will enable you to use the Gigastudio instrument slots again, while hearing the first 16 instruments/channels of your arrangement played back from a single track - let\'s call it \'Bed Mix 1\' in Cakewalk\'s AUDIO section.

NOTE: Later you can go back and reload the first 16 channels and remix them if you need to. It\'s also possible to record less than all 16 channels to an audio track. You could record 4 audio tracks, each with 4 Gigastudio instrument channels on it, or 2 sets of 8, or 16 audio tracks each with a single instrument sound on it, or whatever works within your processor limitations.

4. Once you\'ve recorded a mix of your first lot of Gigastudio sounds (the Bed Mix 1 audio track), you can reload Giga with a completely new set of 16 instruments, to expand your arrangement. As you\'re now able to play Bed Mix 1 back from a from a single Cakewalk AUDIO track, you can MUTE all 16 Cakewalk MIDI tracks which were responsible for creating Bed Mix 1. So all that Cakewalk is playing back is a single stereo track called Bed Mix 1. 16 other midi tracks are muted, and you can prepare to start recording on a 17th midi track.

5. Continue to do this until your arrangement sounds perfect, your Mac falls over, or until you have a sloppy mush of white noise and can\'t tell any more - whichever comes first.

What do you get from an audio card with multiple outputs?

Basically it lets you route separate intruments in Gigastudio to separate places outside of your PC.

For example: If you had an 8 output card on the PC and an 8 input card on the Mac, you could send 8 instruments from Giga to 8 SEPARATE audio tracks in Cakewalk simultaneously.

Or, say the mix coming out of Giga sounds OK, but the kick drum is mushy and no amount of internal EQ is working. You could assign the kick drum channel to a separate audio output and then into your studio EQ and compression, and from there into Cakewalk.

OR, even simpler, via a soundcard with multi channel analog outputs, you could bring 8 channels of Gigastudio up on an external mixing console before they go anywhere.

But this assumes you have a console, you find the internal NFX effects inadequate, and that you need to transfer audio into Cakwalk in a hurry.

If time is not of the essence, most audio sequencers like DP, Cakewalk, Logic and Cubase, allow you to access damned good processing plugins right there inside the PC. In which case, there isn\'t as much pressure on you to use multiple analogue outputs. If the kick is a problem, record it into Cakewalk on its own track, and process it in Cakewalks audio domain. Multichannel DIGITAL connections (like TDIF) are relatively cheap too.

Hope this makes sense

good luck

[This message has been edited by Chadwick (edited 03-01-2001).]

Thanks Chadwick

Very good advice, now I can see the benefits to having a soundcard with Midi and Audio.

This answers about everything.

Thanks!!!

I have three computers which are all linked together for midi and audio. Though it may sound complicated, it really isn\'t.

Here is my setup........Pro Tools 24 Mix TDM system, Sample Cell II with TDM and BIAS Peak TDM on a Mac G4/466 with a USB midi man 2x2 Midi Sport, a Pentuim III 733 PC with a Frontier Design Wave Center PCI card, Giga Studio 160, Wave Lab, Cakewalk, Cubase, Sound Forge, etc., and a Mac 9600/300 which is a dedicated sequencing computer with an Opcode Studio 64 XTC midi interface with Vision DSP, Digital Performer, and Logic.....this computer is the midi brain of the studio. I also have a Kurzweil K2500 linked into the system as well.

The Mac G4/466 is the master sync over the rest of the studio via midi beat clock.....in other words, activating the transport control in Pro Tools sets the midi in motion on the slaved Mac 9600/300. I transmit audio from one computer to the other via AES/EBU and SPDIF connections. All midi connections are routed in and out from each computer and the K2500 into the Opcode Studio 64 XTC midi interface which is linked to the Mac 9600. In the OMS program on the Mac 9600, I can direct the midi signal to go to and from whatever computers and the K2500 that I select for routing through the Studio 64 XTC.

I set up this arrangement in my studio last week, considering I had an extra Mac 9600 and an Opcode Studio 64 XTC sitting around doing nothing. With this new arrangement, I am able to use my PC as a dedicated Giga Studio/Sampler without having latency problems of running both a sequencer and Giga Studio on the same computer at the same time. I still use sequencing programs on the PC when I generate new sequences, but when I am ready to record into Pro Tools on the Mac G4/466, I transfer my sequence to the Mac 9600 for running the sequence during the recording process of recording either Giga Samples, K2500 samples, or Sample Cell samples.

Hey guys

My first post here...hi all

Egosys, as well as making a 4 midi-in port, also make an audio output card devoted to Gigastudio...its called the Gigaststion; it has 8 outputs, ideal if you have a multi input card on your first computer, or a seperate mixer

BTW I\'m not affiliated with Egosys either

Regards
    Eldorado

If you can use Gigastudio or Gigasampler all on one machine, by using a multi-client soundcard, do that- it\'s so much better when it comes to mixing, to just mix all audio tracks internally- though it\'s possible to run Gigastudio (or sampler) on a separate PC or Mac, it\'s better to have 2 very high speed SCSI drives and the fastest processor you can (I have Athlon 900)- that way you won\'t have to combine the separate computers\' output through some outboard mixer, although that method works just fine, too. It\'s just easier to have it all there in one place. I have had up to 32 tracks of stereo audio w/effects running with Logic Audio and Gigastudio sounds, and so far, no problems, the system can take it. And then when it comes time to mix, you can just bounce the outputs of one master group, no need at all to mix to a dat or some other medium, and what you hear while mixing is exactly what you get.

Go Back to forum