• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Resources for new K2 owner

Share/Bookmark

Resources for new K2 owner

Hi everyone,

I am a new K2 owner - and new to samplers as well - the only experience of using samples to date is GPO.

I've read Kevin's posts about lack of tutorials and the like, so I do not have high hopes of anyone saying "yes, this is exactly what you are looking for".

Anyway, are there any resouces available for Kontakt 2 - along the lines of the excellent Sonar Power! book?

Also, is there any information available anywhere on how to make best use of the sample library that ships with K2 - I know how to load instruments, but there are some (e.g. guitar) that include scripting, but other than trial and plenty of error, it's difficult to use them how they were intended.

Thanks for bearing with me on this one.

I won't be a newbie for long
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Talking Re: Resources for new K2 owner

Hi, Richard - -

It's lamentable that softSample and Sequencer providers (okay, my experience is only with Steinberg and now Native Instruments) put out what amount to fairly cryptic "support" manuals. Eventually, it seems, someone decides that there is a market big enough for (say) Cubase SX and they write a detailed "manual for dummies" (that's where *I* started) and by the time the book is produced, it has been written for SX 1 and now SX 2 is out!

One has to wonder why these providers don't take a page from Microsoft's policies and enter into non-disclosure agreements with qualified authors so that the "add-on" books can come out relatively in synch with the product release (or update).

I guess the only other route for learning some of the more "advanced" topics of using this complex software are the Forums we all regularly browse and hope to find a discussion of our problem or to pick up techniques that we never even thought about but which, when described, seem to offer assistance.

And so it goes ... KevinKauai

P.S. The little KeySwitch Tutorial that I put together (with the excellent coaching help from Christopher Caouette) is now approaching 300 hits from my personal website (here: http://www.KevinTweedy.net/K2T/K2_KeySwitch.htm ). It would be nice if Native Instruments someday offered to give this sort of volunteer effort a home someplace, wouldn't it? Unfortunately, it would seem that Native Instruments has NO ONE watching this Forum or the Kontakt section of their own Forum. I've yet to see any "official" response from an NI representative on either. (Amazing!)

Thumbs up Re: Resources for new K2 owner

One has to wonder why these providers don't take a page from Microsoft's policies and enter into non-disclosure agreements with qualified authors so that the "add-on" books can come out relatively in synch with the product release (or update).
    Yeah! Let's hear it for Kevin!
    Big Bob (aka Wonderful Bob)

Re: Resources for new K2 owner

Hi ALL -

I'm still somewhat new to a lot of this, but have found that this book has been quite helpful regarding , as it covers both various types of synthesis (additive, subtractive, FM, etc.), as well as, giving some very good and detailed tutorials on Kontakt (1.5.3), about 55 pages worth. It's name: "Sampling and Soft Synth POWER!". Examples of items detailed, Key Switch mapping, Instrument creation/building, and other "basics" (see link below, for more contents). It also has good pictures, al though they are in black and white, so a little hard to deciper sometimes unless you're at your sampler, but all in all a good read and reference for me at least. Also, ALL example and support files are also downloadable from their "training" related web site.

It lists for 29.99, but I think I got it for around $25 (Amazon or Barnes and Noble, or ? Can't remember now.).

Don't know if it might help any of you, but here's the link to the table of contents, etc.:

http://www.course.com/catalog/product.cfm?isbn=1-59200-132-7

Sampling and Soft Synth Power!
    Michael Prager
    ISBN: 1-59200-132-7 © 2005
    Publish date: October 8, 2004
    Softcover 460 pages.

Dave
    ARGH-Isle Studios

Laptop DAW[Asus v70a, PentiumM 2.2GHz, 2G RAM]
    SYNTHS[Yamaha S80 & Novation X-Station 49]
    S/W: Cubase 7 & NI Komplete 8 Ultimate
    Primary Samples: Garritan: GPO4, JABB3, C&MB2;
    Bela D: Giovanni, Celtic Wind, LD, & Studio B

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    Hi, Richard - -

It would be nice if Native Instruments someday offered to give this sort of volunteer effort a home someplace, wouldn't it? Unfortunately, it would seem that Native Instruments has NO ONE watching this Forum or the Kontakt section of their own Forum. I've yet to see any "official" response from an NI representative on either. (Amazing!)
    Well, not really amazing. Native Instruments have their own forums, which I'm sure they are watching and responding to! Have you posted your tutorial link there?

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Just in case any other newbies have missed the obvious answer to my question - have a look in the "documentation" folder that gets installed with Kontakt.

Durr!

Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Does anyone know if there is any info on how to use the "Akkord Guitar". I've been trying to use it but haven't a clue how to edit it.

Also when I did get something I might use, I put the notes in my sequencer and as soon as I played it, it played once and then it was like it just froze up and wouldn't play anymore (it could be buggy).

Thankyou
    T. S.

I love the Akkord Guitar, but keep running into roadblocks when I try to edit things. I mean, there's gotta be a manual out there somewhere, right?
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

There is a pdf that is installed when you run the Kontakt update 2.01 (I believe) that is a manual for the included isntruments, including Akkord.

fizbin

Thanks fizbin,

(He He) I looked all over for it the other day and couldn't find it but then looked again today and there it was right where it should be.

Incidently for those who haven't found it yet its called "Kontakt 2 Library Documentation.pdf" in the Docuimentation Folder.

T. S.

Go Back to forum