• Register
  • Help

Topic: TQ: Does polyphony settings on instrument patch help performance or memory usage?

Share/Bookmark

TQ: Does polyphony settings on instrument patch help performance or memory usage?

Technical Question: GPO - Does setting an instrument patch poly setting help in CPU usage or memory overhead? For example, if I am using Violin 1 KS but plan on NOT having double stops for this section (melos only), does reducing it from 32 notes to 4 notes gain any improvements?

Re: TQ: Does polyphony settings on instrument patch help performance or memory usage

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    Technical Question: GPO - Does setting an instrument patch poly setting help in CPU usage or memory overhead? For example, if I am using Violin 1 KS but plan on NOT having double stops for this section (melos only), does reducing it from 32 notes to 4 notes gain any improvements?
    In a word, yes.

Re: TQ: Does polyphony settings on instrument patch help performance or memory usage?

Thanks for the help

Do you know if it will help memory only, processing only, or both?

Also by how much?

Thanks for your help!

Re: TQ: Does polyphony settings on instrument patch help performance or memory usage?

I'm just guessing here, but I think it's only CPU, because no more samples have to be loaded for higher polyphony.

-Chris

If it is CPU, then I can measure it rather easily. I guess as a practice it would make sense to alway reduce poly to only what you need. I wonder if there is a simple way to turn off an instrument or patch when you dont need it using MIDI information, so as to reduce CPU - for example in a middle section where you are not using strings...

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    I wonder if there is a simple way to turn off an instrument or patch when you dont need it using MIDI information, so as to reduce CPU - for example in a middle section where you are not using strings...
    This is not necessary. Only memory is required to hold the samples (assuming no DFD). The only time CPU is involved is when the sound is generated.

You need to be careful when you change (reduce) the polyphony. For example, even when you are playing what appears to be a single line on the violin, you will notice that the polyphony goes above 1 whenever there are note overlaps.
    Bill

Bill:

Agreed, but for my string sound, I believe, after playing around with the patch, I can reduce it down from 32 to 4 notes safe. What I don't understand is what the setting does?

Is it mearly a restriction. or does it actually preallocate anything in memory or threads?

When you reduce polyphony, it is merely a restriction. It does not affect memory at all as that is affected only by the loading of the sample itself. Reducing polyphony acts as a "ceiling" for each individual instrument - so if you reduce from 32 to 4, if that instrument inadvertently reaches for a fifth voice, it simply won't sound. This reduces the possibility of overloading your CPU.

Welp, this answers the question. I guess there is no way to manage CPU usage and memory once things are loaded.

Go Back to forum