• Register
  • Help

Topic: Reverb Question - need advice

Share/Bookmark

Reverb Question - need advice

Hi all,

It's nice to be back..there was an issue with my profile and I thank the Admin for reinstating me to the forum.

I got to use Candy (Yellow Tools) the other night. I tried the Soprano sample using the VST in Sonar Producer. I noticed that there were no reverb or equiv facilities on the VST Candy module screen. Therefore, I had to play the sample in a dry state.

Is there anyway I can play a VST sample in real time with real time reverb or room simulation (while creating the midi track) without bouncing a dry midi track sample to audio and then processing reverb throughout its performance?

I am also a registered user of Giga 3.02..Could there be a workaround here using VST with Giga..

BTW, the Soprano sample with processed Sonitus Reverb sounded very sweet to my ears..

Please assist..

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Re: Reverb Question - need advice

Alan, with every VSTi (or DXi as the case may be) you get two tracks in SONAR. One is the MIDI track, the (MIDI) output of which is set to the VSTi. The other is an audio track, the audio input of which should be set to the output of the VSTi, and the output of which goes to your master output channels (or directly to the hardwar outputs, depending on how you have the project set up). On the audio track in the Track View, click on the drop down labeled "I" (for input) I believe it is; the drop down should list a submenu called "VSTi" or some such, within which you should find Candy listed. Can't remember the exact structure of the menu. Once you have the VSTi output routed properly, simply insert a reverb in the FX bin of that audio track and the VSTi output will be processed by the reverb on it's way to the master outputs.

KB,

Thanks bud I will try it later this evening..I knew there was a way to do this and you have enlightened me..

BTW, I sorry I didn't answer that "Trumpet" question due to the fact that my profile needed a repair job by Papa Chalk.

The Fattened sound refers to how the sample was recorded. Synth sounds never sound like they have the "Beef" in it. Maybe thru EQ-ing, the slack can be picked up..Maybe it takes more bytes to get the fatter sound?

Thanks again..

Alan Russell

Quote Originally Posted by kbaccki
    Alan, with every VSTi (or DXi as the case may be) you get two tracks in SONAR. One is the MIDI track, the (MIDI) output of which is set to the VSTi. The other is an audio track, the audio input of which should be set to the output of the VSTi, and the output of which goes to your master output channels (or directly to the hardwar outputs, depending on how you have the project set up). On the audio track in the Track View, click on the drop down labeled "I" (for input) I believe it is; the drop down should list a submenu called "VSTi" or some such, within which you should find Candy listed. Can't remember the exact structure of the menu. Once you have the VSTi output routed properly, simply insert a reverb in the FX bin of that audio track and the VSTi output will be processed by the reverb on it's way to the master outputs.

KB,

your suggestion worked fine! There is an issue with one of the Soprano Candy samples w/r to the Sontius Reverb in Sonar Producer. If you lessen the "Dry" and make the sample a bit wetter, some of the notes cut out on you. (Drop outs) I've nailed the problem down toi the Sonitis Reverb and not to my CPU, RAM, Echo Layla Board etc...) There seems to be a conflict here. I adjusted the reverb settings and was able to create a demo for the Soprano. Hopefully I will post it later on.

Thanks again for your advice..

Alan Russell

There are two ways to use reverb in real time in Sonar. The first is as KB said, just create an insert on the DXi track of your VST sample, then choose your reverb from your lists there. The way to do this is to right click the FX box on the track, then you'll see some options like "Audio Effects", or "DXi Synth" or somesuch. Look through them to find your reverb.

The other way is to create a new stereo bus. Do this by right clicking just under the I/O, Volume, Gain, Pan, etc. on your DXi track. From the flyout box choose "Insert Send", then choose "New Stereo Bus".

Now, go to the new bus and do an insert just like you would on the DXi track. The advantage of this is that you can use one reverb (or any other effect or synth, etc) for several tracks if need be. It reduces computer processor overhead. Also, you need to route the new bus to your main output bus, or to whatever you send your audio to.

Remember that when you create the new send on the DXi track, you have to click on the little box that actually turns it on. After that, you simply adjust its output to the bus in order to get more or less reverb.

Sonar is really quite good at all of this, once you get used to it.

good luck,

john

Go Back to forum