• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 2112 Returns

Share/Bookmark

Talking 2112 Returns

Hello All!

I sure missed everyone! I am back home now and can actually get on the internet!

My wife and I left on a road trip almost a month ago now. We drove to the Washington D.C. area, then back west to Kansas, then south - back to Texas. It was a trip with many mixed emotions.

Over a month ago, I was having one of my usual interesting conversations with my dad (I’m nearly 40 and still contend that he knows everything ). Just a few short days later, I was notified that he had a mild stroke. Being that my father is my hero, and the fact that he even delivered me at birth (another long story), we have a very special bond. I was crushed. Fearing my reaction, my family decided to keep it from me for two days – until it appeared he was going to be fine. The night I found out, I finally got a call from my stepmother in Washington who was with him at the hospital. I knew that the stroke had affected his right side, and the speech centers of the brain and would have to re-learn speech. In tears, I finally was able to say hello to him on the phone. He could only make sounds at that point – a far cry from the quantum mechanics he was describing just days earlier. The next day, he was making a few understandable statements. “Do music!” was the first, and he called me “laddy” (which he has called me since I can remember – it’s a Scottish thing). My family thought it best that I not go up there from Texas just yet, as there was nothing I could do, and he might need me later during the speech therapy. So, I did some work that I needed to finish, and wifey finished her semester at school (strait A’s by the way ). We were told to take our time and make an enjoyable trip out of it. Hmm… ok…

By the time we got to Virginia (near D.C. where he lives), he had just shampooed the rug for us (We are allergic to cats and they have a few) and ran out to give us a hug. We understood everything he said. The Neurologists said that they have never seen a quicker recovery and even cleared him to go to London for “Schum’s Challenge” – part of the world renowned scholar thing that he does that I don’t understand . He will be teaching –as usual, in the fall.

While there in D.C., our cell phones didn’t work, their home phone line was having problems, and his computer only has a modem. I was able to successfully pop off one message here and that was it. Then, since dad just hopped off to London, we went west to visit my father in law- 40 miles from K.C. and no phone service and no cell phone again!

It’s amazing that I can communicate with the world from this little island off Texas, but not in D.C. or K.C. – oh well, I’m back. I missed you all – although, I must confess I am a little disappointed that Northern Sounds has been able to function so well for more than a week without me – disproving my long held theory .

Good to be back!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Re: 2112 Returns

It's even worse when the brilliant are struck down: my grandfather (who happened to live in the same area) had a stroke that he never recovered from. He spoke 4 languages before, but was reduced to perhaps 80% capacity in just English afterwards with gaping holes in his memory compounded by Alzheimer's.

I never saw him in the period before he died and we buried him at Arlington national cemetary. I was too afraid. My dad (his son) said he probably wouldn't recognize me anyway.

Wonderful to hear about your father's recovery, and so beautiful to get the message that you must do music, laddie! Don't let him down!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Wink Re: 2112 Returns

Very, very glad you're back Brian!!!!!

Roberto

Well well well. If it isn’t me old Texas buddy! Good to hear your dad is recovering quickly. I feel for you more than you know. It's hard for me to talk about this but your story has pulled it out of me. Forgive me if I tread a bit.
    My mom suffered a stroke last Friday and scared the heck out of me. I am still quite upset but hanging in there. We see her in the hospital every day. Miraculously, she didn’t loose her speech at all but movements in her legs was almost gone. Today thank God, she is recovering nicely. She is able to walk but not too far and not without help. She'll need therapy to learn to walk again and with four strong boys, a daughter, and the best dang daughter in law to see her through she’ll be fine.
    Your dad is right bud, Music!

Nice to see your back NOW TURN AROUND SO WE CAN SEE YOUR FACE!

BTW - MAN'S NUTS, GRAB 'EM! (I just had to.)
    Styxx

Nice to have you back, Chewie.

Looking forward to hearing stories once you get settled back in and caught up on stuff...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Welcome back Brian. We were barely able to function without you. All hell broke loose while you were gone andluckily the admins deleted volumes of posts to give the appearance of normalcy for when you returned. People were besides themselves while you were away, we were singing "Pi., Pi - We miss 2112 Pi - He drove his to Camry to DC and the forum was dry...." Coincidently, there was an increase in the number of bigfoot sightings in the Washington DC area.

Good to have you back! And Glad your Dad's okay!

Gary Garritan

Your telling me that was not bigfoot I saw?
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

Quote Originally Posted by UNIX_GURU
    Your telling me that was not bigfoot I saw?
    Nope. Wookie.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    Hello All!

I sure missed everyone! I am back home now and can actually get on the internet!

Good to be back!

About bloody time!

(Nobody ever accused me of being the overly sensitive type)

Be forewarned, Gary is reporting possible Clam sightings again!

Michael

Clamdip happens...

Brian, I am happy for your Dad's great recovery!

Glad you're back.

Dan

Go Back to forum