• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Giga 3 questions

Share/Bookmark

Giga 3 questions

I'm a Giga 2.54 user and considering the upgrade to 3.0.

I have a few questions, if anyone would give me the info.

1. Giga 3 has rewire support, I'm told, so does it give over all it's outputs to the sequencer (I use Sonar) to control? And if so, how many can you have? Is this limited by the audio card, or is it limited by memory and such?

2. If you rewire and have, say, 8 outputs going into the sequencer, can you record all those tracks to audio at the same time without bleed?

3. If you run as rewire and each instrument is going through an audio track in the sequencer, can you use DX or VST effects in the sequencer without bouncing to audio first? (I know you can use VST's in Giga)

4. This one's more subjective, but what do YOU think are the biggest improvements from 2.x to 3.0?

Re: Giga 3 questions

1. Yes Giga3 has Rewire support and your sequencer will see most of it's outputs.
    I think it's a rewire limitation but if I remember correctly you will at least have 64 outputs.This is not limited to your audiocard or memory.

As of question 2 I can't say for sure because I don't use Sonar but CUBASE SX.
    For me Rewire was not that stable, but that doesn't mean it won't work good in Sonar. You should be able to record 8 outputs without problems.

As for question 3, yes and yes.

4. More dimensions, !Gigapulse!, more midi channels, implementation of VST protocol, Rewire, if you have a GSIF 2 soundcard than you have audioinputs,
    lower latency, you can load more instruments on one workstation over GS2,
    iMIDI rules...ehmm thats it for me

hope that helps
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Thanks Przemek K,

That definitely helps.

I don't use Rewire, so I'll just answer Q4...

For me it's faster load times, GigaPulse, better EQ, compression, mix routing, 8 ports, and more polyphony. The faster load times have the most impact on my workflow. GigaPulse, the EQ and compression have the most impact on my results. Also, I'm library poor, and I enjoy a lot of the samples that come with Vienna Giga Symphony, as well as many of the other demo samples.

The cool thing about fast load times is that I just load what I need as I need it. That allows me to use my 1GB of RAM really efficiently, and I can be more creative from piece to piece. I used to be obsessed with getting the right template. Now, it's template schmemplate.

It's going to be even better with GS3.1. We will be able to setup our keyswitches on the fly. I'll probably save deconstructed versions of my gigs, so I can just grab what I need when I need it. The memory limitation isn't nearly as big a deal when you can load only what's needed.

-JF

Question: Can I use GigaPulse as a standalone remote reverb to my DAW through G3, or is it only usable with samples loaded?

wazup newmewzikboy?

I use Digital performer on a Mac, and sometimes I use Giga strictly for G-Pulse through lightpipe connections. It works great!

dpDan

Thats awesome DP! That alone makes the upgrade worth it! What a deal!

As you probably have seen, I have bragged about Altiverb and how it is the poop if you use a Mac!
    But Gigapulse is a very nice piece of gear too. Make sure you play around with ALL the controls, and learn what they do. Make sure to set the WET/DRY to 100% wet if you are using it from "aux sends" via a DAW. Sorry, you probably already know that
    Also, make sure you tweak the "perspective" setting to a level that suites the situation.
    The ability to place an instrument at a very specific location on the stage is stunningly accurate too.

It's very cool!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I don't use Rewire, so I'll just answer Q4...

It's going to be even better with GS3.1. We will be able to setup our keyswitches on the fly. I'll probably save deconstructed versions of my gigs, so I can just grab what I need when I need it. The memory limitation isn't nearly as big a deal when you can load only what's needed.

-JF

Can you elaborate more on the "deconstructed versions" idea? I'm not sure I know what you mean, but I like what I think it means.

Can you give an example as well?

For instance if you have separate articulations, you can then combine them later as a keyswitch in a stack. You could even separate the p, mp, mf and f articulations and stack them as needed, depending on if you're playing a loud or soft piece.

-JF

Go Back to forum