• Register
  • Help

Topic: Beethoven symph. #7 4th movement

Share/Bookmark

Beethoven symph. #7 4th movement

Hey guys!
    I was thinking earlier today, I have never posted anything of mine since I joined in January. Well, I didn't compose this one but I think you'll enjoy it. It's Beethoven's seventh symphony the forth movement arranged for guitars, synthesizers, and organs. I used the VSC DXi that came with my Cakewalk Music Creator 2002.

Enjoy!

-Chris

http://cptexas0.tripod.com/id1.html (click on "Beethoven 7-4")

EDIT: Sorry. I forgot the most important thing! All comments, suggestions, critiques, questions, praises (especially ) welcome!

Re: Beethoven symph. #7 4th movement

I must say that I prefer the original...

That is freaking cool!!!

You really created some awesome textures. You just don't get compositions like that any more, I got to see it in a new light, what an amazing piece.

Quote Originally Posted by johnamriding
    I must say that I prefer the original...
    That's fine.
    I like the origional too.
    But doing things like this, I think, is really fun to experiment with.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by tobyond
    That is freaking cool!!!

You really created some awesome textures. You just don't get compositions like that any more, I got to see it in a new light, what an amazing piece.
    Thanks!
    Now this is something I never really understood. What exactly is a 'texture'?
    Can you point out some sections where there is a certain texture that you like? Or a texture of a certain kind?

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Thanks!
    Now this is something I never really understood. What exactly is a 'texture'?
    Can you point out some sections where there is a certain texture that you like? Or a texture of a certain kind?

-Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Thanks!
    Now this is something I never really understood. What exactly is a 'texture'?-Chris
    Chris,
    In the classical tradition, texture refers to the number of active voices and how the various voices interact. ex's:

Monophonic: One voice, or more than one voice at the unison or octave. No harmony at all. Think Gregorian Chant.
    Polyphonic: More than one voice performing independent lines, no parallel fifths or octaves. Each line can be percieved as individual. Voice leading practices support this ideal....par. fifths would detract from the independance of the lines. Early polyphony (ex: Organum) used strictly parallel 5ths or 4ths, but this practice later evolved into the later styles, which abandoned parallel perfect intervals for the above mentioned reason.
    Homophonic: Can be poly or monophonic. Think of a bunch of block chords on a keyboard....voices move in all kinds of parallel/contrary/similar motion, but the rhythmic unison make them "sound together". Or, consider an orchestral octave unison tutti....all voices in 8ves and unisons, but still "sounding together."
    Heterophonic: must be polyphonic. Imagine a round, canon, or fugue. Frequently one voice articulates while another sustains or rests etc...."sounding apart".

tobyond was probably referring to your actual colors though. I can't hear your piece....something went wrong. But when I think "texture", I usually think about the chord voicings and the distribution of voicing across the instruments and/or voices. And not to exclude non-pitched percussion. Cymbals and drums, tambourines, triangles....name it. It all has a tremendous impact on "Orchestral Texture".

Hope this helps,
    Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    Chris,
    In the classical tradition, texture refers to the number of active voices and how the various voices interact. ex's:

Monophonic: One voice, or more than one voice at the unison or octave. No harmony at all. Think Gregorian Chant.
    Polyphonic: More than one voice performing independent lines, no parallel fifths or octaves. Each line can be percieved as individual. Voice leading practices support this ideal....par. fifths would detract from the independance of the lines. Early polyphony (ex: Organum) used strictly parallel 5ths or 4ths, but this practice later evolved into the later styles, which abandoned parallel perfect intervals for the above mentioned reason.
    Homophonic: Can be poly or monophonic. Think of a bunch of block chords on a keyboard....voices move in all kinds of parallel/contrary/similar motion, but the rhythmic unison make them "sound together". Or, consider an orchestral octave unison tutti....all voices in 8ves and unisons, but still "sounding together."
    Heterophonic: must be polyphonic. Imagine a round, canon, or fugue. Frequently one voice articulates while another sustains or rests etc...."sounding apart".

tobyond was probably referring to your actual colors though. I can't hear your piece....something went wrong. But when I think "texture", I usually think about the chord voicings and the distribution of voicing across the instruments and/or voices. And not to exclude non-pitched percussion. Cymbals and drums, tambourines, triangles....name it. It all has a tremendous impact on "Orchestral Texture".

Hope this helps,
    Belbin
    WOW!!

Thanks!

Wow!

Glad to hear that. Makes me feel like I wasn't just being a know-it-all afterall.

Belbin

Cool- no horns cracking the high "e"s. As a horn player, this piece (the original) certainly contributed to my first stomach ulcer... this is fun to listen to, and causes me less pain- keep it up!
    Jason DeWater aka Lickety-Split
    Very busy, yet always unproductive.
    Some of my music is here:
    http://www.audiostreet.net/jasondewater

Quote Originally Posted by Lickety-Split
    Cool- no horns cracking the high "e"s. As a horn player, this piece (the original) certainly contributed to my first stomach ulcer... this is fun to listen to, and causes me less pain- keep it up!
    Thanks, Jason!
    (I love your screenname!! )

I'm glad it doesn't cause too much pain! That's a good thing!

Take care,

-Chris

Go Back to forum