• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: More License Problems

Share/Bookmark

More License Problems

My system crashed...blue screen.

When I tried to launch G3, the darn thing told me the registration had been updated. Of course the backup didn't work (never has on my system).

This is so BS...not the first time it's happened either.

Post Re: More License Problems

Quote Originally Posted by sporter
    ...When I tried to launch G3, the darn thing told me the registration had been updated. Of course the backup didn't work (never has on my system).

This is so BS...not the first time it's happened either.
    Too bad.
    I'm new to GS3 and must say that I really am very discouraged by
    the high amount of posts like this... the activation of GS3 seems to be a pain "somewhere"..

Would it be possible to restore an image (ghost, drive image) of the partition (if such an image exists?)

Matt

Re: More License Problems

I've used Giga since the very beginning, and have run into lots of registration problems along the way. To be fair, I rec'd within an hour a new reg key, and I'm probably in the minority...but I've lost some valuable time, not to mention the creative flow has been broken.

The real PITA is that, once you have made too many registrations requests (4, in fact, and be it after PC upgrades, or due to the registration # update bug), you are denied a new authorization.
    A few weeks ago, this happened to me, and I had to send many messages to Tascam before they accept to reset my counter.
    result :
    - About 5 days without being able to use GS.....
    - Time lost,
    - Nerves hurt,
    - Energy wasted.
    -----
    I know that some people do not like dongle, but I, for one, would prefer this kind of solution. I have one for Cubase SX, one for Majestic, and in months I never had a problem with those usb devices.
    -----
    Or, at least, a deauthorize-reauthorize scheme like Native Instruments....
    -----
    I do hope they will take care of this very soon, IMO it should be a mandatory feature for a next update.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbellog
    The real PITA is that, once you have made too many registrations requests (4, in fact, and be it after PC upgrades, or due to the registration # update bug), you are denied a new authorization.
    A few weeks ago, this happened to me, and I had to send many messages to Tascam before they accept to reset my counter.
    result :
    - About 5 days without being able to use GS.....
    - Time lost,
    - Nerves hurt,
    - Energy wasted.
    -----
    I know that some people do not like dongle, but I, for one, would prefer this kind of solution. I have one for Cubase SX, one for Majestic, and in months I never had a problem with those usb devices.
    -----
    Or, at least, a deauthorize-reauthorize scheme like Native Instruments....
    -----
    I do hope they will take care of this very soon, IMO it should be a mandatory feature for a next update.

Yes, when I first got G3, I upgraded and installed a new MB and operating system. I had problems which required to to re-install Giga several times. On about the 5th time, I got a little messgae telling me basically "sorry...no more registrations for you...". I did the email thing, and they did get me straightened out, but it took several days.

I use Cubase SX with the dongle, and prior to that Emagic Logic with the dongle. I mush prefer this type of copy protection. I've upgraded my system a number of times, and installed the software on several computers. Never had a dongle related problem...

I'm not optimistic about Tascam fixing the registration problems. There were problems in G2xxx which they never addressed, and it looks like the G3 registration, while enhanced a bit and a little smoother getting up and going, is just same old crap with a facelift.

Post Re: More License Problems

..and what about making an image, when everything is running fine,
    and restore it, as soon as GS3 tells you the registration has to be
    updated?
    As long as I did not change any hardware, of course..

Will this work?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by gigausr
    ..and what about making an image, when everything is running fine,
    and restore it, as soon as GS3 tells you the registration has to be
    updated?
    As long as I did not change any hardware, of course..

Will this work?

Matt
    After all those problems, I purchased Norton Ghost and made an image just after a clean install of everything, and with a 100% healthy GS.
    Now, I'm pretty sure the image will restore my drive (Ghost seems to be very reliable, say others), but i'm not totally convinced today that GS3 will not tell me after the restore (for some obscure reason), that my reg # has updated and I have anyway to re-authorize.....
    It would not be such a big surprise........
    -----

I'd be interested in knowing if Norton Ghost works...I would pick up a copy just for G3 if it would solve some of these reg issues.

Quote Originally Posted by sporter
    I'd be interested in knowing if Norton Ghost works...I would pick up a copy just for G3 if it would solve some of these reg issues.
    I'd be interested in knowing why a user's reg # has to be reset, when the license backup is supposed to make it secure and easy. Good theory, bad practice.
    I recently flattened my system three times in a week, and after my third registration, I got a warning from tascam: "This is not typical of our users".
    I wrote them back: "Yes it is. Leave me be, or I'll kick up a huge stink when you deny me registration. As makers of some of the hardest software in the world to get working, you guys should understand this. I'm legit. Don't worry about how many times I've installed. Let your license manager worry about that".

I got no reply. Surprised? Not me. BS is right. Someone needs to grab Tascam by the jewels and give 'em a good shake.

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    I'd be interested in knowing why a user's reg # has to be reset, when the license backup is supposed to make it secure and easy. Good theory, bad practice.
    I recently flattened my system three times in a week, and after my third registration, I got a warning from tascam: "This is not typical of our users".
    I wrote them back: "Yes it is. Leave me be, or I'll kick up a huge stink when you deny me registration. As makers of some of the hardest software in the world to get working, you guys should understand this. I'm legit. Don't worry about how many times I've installed. Let your license manager worry about that".

I got no reply. Surprised? Not me. BS is right. Someone needs to grab Tascam by the jewels and give 'em a good shake.

Belbin
    There must be something in Giga's programming that after a crash is registers it as a hardware change.

I think NI's product called Kontakt is doing a great job of grabbing Giga by the jewels.

Go Back to forum