• Register
  • Help

Topic: Some Observations on GPO

Share/Bookmark

Talking Some Observations on GPO

Folks. A few observations as a new user getting to grips with GPO. Using French horns I see "French Horn 1 PLR 1, 2, & 3). Similarly for French Horn 2 & 3. I'm not quite sure how to interpret this - is it 1 French horn played by 1, 2, and 3 players giving 6 in all if you load all 3 samples.

I'm using tremelo strings on the first violins at the beginning of a piece playing an Am triad, gives it some body. What's actually happening here? It sounds to me like the First violin sample is being played 3 times, effectively tripling the number of players in that section. I take it that with section strings it isn't possible to do a divisi and split the triad between all players in that section. To accomplish this would I need to build the 1st violin section from scratch?

Lastly, this is a fabulous package. Really! As we say in the UK, Aboslutely Fabulous.

Cheers, CD

Re: Some Observations on GPO

Colin,

Good to see another UK GPO'er on the forum!

Brass - PLR 1, 2, 3 are each separate individual instruments that you use to build a section. The samples are such that if played in unison there are no phasing problems.

Strings - yes, if you want a divisi sound where the the numbers of players are halved, you should really construct your own section. There is a tutorial on how to build string sections here:

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/Str...gTutorial.html
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

To elaborate on the brass observation (this plr thing is for most instruments), there is a, for example, trumpet 1 solo, trumpet 1 plr 1, trumpet 1 plr 2, and a trumpet 1 plr 3. The plr instruments use the same samples as the solo instrument they were derived from, but the samples are arranged so that they will not phase. The solo instrument is sampled chromatically, and the plr instruments are sampled in minor thirds. This means that a sampled C on the solo trumpet, in the plr 1, would serve to be the sample for C, C#, and D. On the plr 2 instrument, C C# and D would use the C# sample from the solo instrument and so on.

It's really quite ingenious!

-Chris

Yes, but according to documentation, you should not use the original instrument used in the derivation...eg SOLO 1 should not be used while you use Ply1 , ply2, ply3 if those players were derived from SOLO 1's samples...

Ya?

The derived "Plr" instruments should not be used with their corresponding solo instrument *if* you are writing any unison lines. If each instrument has a separate line then the solo and derived "Plr" instruments can be combined without problems. Phasing issues arise when two instruments are playing the same sample simultaneously. The issue is avoided if unisons are not present.

Tom

Clarification concurred and important

Thank you CPtexas - for the first time I have understood how the 'player' samples are 'derived' from the 'solo'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    The derived "Plr" instruments should not be used with their corresponding solo instrument *if* you are writing any unison lines. If each instrument has a separate line then the solo and derived "Plr" instruments can be combined without problems. Phasing issues arise when two instruments are playing the same sample simultaneously. The issue is avoided if unisons are not present.

Tom
    What if you had two of the same sample a few MIDI ticks off from each other? Will there still be phasing?

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    What if you had two of the same sample a few MIDI ticks off from each other? Will there still be phasing?

-Chris
    most likely

Go Back to forum