• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO playback inaccurate

Share/Bookmark

GPO playback inaccurate

When I play the GPO DXi through Cakewalk, the levels and overall sound is different than when I export the audio and my computer takes it's time to make it perfect. On a normal playback, the woodwinds are quieter, the strings louder, the brass MUCH quieter, there's weird beating noises, it's in stereo (a good thing), and the overall sound quality is very poor. When I export, all the levels are balanced, there are no beating artifacts, and it's in mono.

How do I get it to export in stereo, and are the playbacks a CPU problem or software problem?

Perhaps I should join the Cakewalk forum for this one.....

-Chris

Re: GPO playback inaccurate

Well, having gotten GPO recently, these are my observations... First, render each track to audio, don't render the mix just from the softsynth GPO...

Another thing is, put in a value at the beginning of the midi track for the mod wheel, cause it will shift or go all the way down again, this would explain why you're hearing one thing and rendering another...

Anyway, making sure that each sounds the way you like in midi, rendering each track individually to audio is what's going to give you consistency in your mix... As far as the mono thing is concerned, when you get to the screen where you export the audio, at the middle there's a window that give you the option for mono or stereo... Stereo should be selected... I'm assuming you're using Sonar for all this??

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    Well, having gotten GPO recently, these are my observations... First, render each track to audio, don't render the mix just from the softsynth GPO...

Another thing is, put in a value at the beginning of the midi track for the mod wheel, cause it will shift or go all the way down again, this would explain why you're hearing one thing and rendering another...

Anyway, making sure that each sounds the way you like in midi, rendering each track individually to audio is what's going to give you consistency in your mix... As far as the mono thing is concerned, when you get to the screen where you export the audio, at the middle there's a window that give you the option for mono or stereo... Stereo should be selected... I'm assuming you're using Sonar for all this??
    I'm using Cakewalk Music Creator 2002, and I do see this mono/stereo selection and have it set to stereo. It exports in stereo when I use the VSC DXi, but not with GPO. Strange. Well, if I'm going to render each track individually, then I guess along the way I can pan them.

Thanks for your help!

-Chris

Is it a master clock issue? Are you running all from one master clock? Just a long shot...

I'm using Cakewalk Music Creator 2002, and I do see this mono/stereo selection and have it set to stereo. It exports in stereo when I use the VSC DXi, but not with GPO. Strange.
    Yeah, that's definitely strange, you should get a stereo file, even if the mix is funky.... From years of working with other programs, I've just found that doing mixes of audio files is what's going to give you the best mix in the end, no matter what program you're using... But the trick is to get all your performance just like you want it in midi first before committing to audio...

Also, so you don't drive yourself nuts, you can have various version of the master... One master is your midi/GPO master, no audio... Then you'll have another file where it's just the audio files... Having the midi files and the audio in the in the same file can cause a lot of confusion, even if you hide the tracks you're not using...

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    When I play the GPO DXi through Cakewalk, the levels and overall sound is different than when I export the audio and my computer takes it's time to make it perfect. On a normal playback, the woodwinds are quieter, the strings louder, the brass MUCH quieter, there's weird beating noises, it's in stereo (a good thing), and the overall sound quality is very poor. When I export, all the levels are balanced, there are no beating artifacts, and it's in mono.

How do I get it to export in stereo, and are the playbacks a CPU problem or software problem?

Perhaps I should join the Cakewalk forum for this one.....

-Chris

I'm not familiar with the Cakewalk Music Creator. When you playback from your DXi or the audio you have created, do you mute the one you don't want to hear? What is your clock setting? Best is probably take the clock from your sound card. You should probably also consider your reverb and other Fx settings.

I use Sonar, render to audio via export to audio. Audio and midi playback are equal. No troubles except for one project that I've sent to Gary, which is no end of troubles, even though using only one instrument!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    I'm not familiar with the Cakewalk Music Creator. When you playback from your DXi or the audio you have created, do you mute the one you don't want to hear? What is your clock setting? Best is probably take the clock from your sound card. You should probably also consider your reverb and other Fx settings.

I use Sonar, render to audio via export to audio. Audio and midi playback are equal. No troubles except for one project that I've sent to Gary, which is no end of troubles, even though using only one instrument!

Richard
    What is a clock setting? Is that like 44.1 khz/16 bit or something? I have no other FX running except for EQ.

I'M CONFUSED!!

-Chris

Oh.
    And another thing:
    If I pan the audio track the DXi is on, then all the instruments on that track get panned however I pan that track on playback and export. Maybe if i make GPO respond to pan settings?

-Chris

Many of the instruments in GPO are mono samples in a stereo player, and the pan in the Kontakt player simply places the instrument in a stereo panorama setting. To save a lot of disk space in your DAW, I recommend recording these instruments to a mono track, and use the pan in your DAW's mixer to place the instrument wherever you want, then apply reverb with either a single Aux send, or a stereo Aux send. If for instance, you want to use a flute, and it is panned pretty far left, you would want to use the left channel to record from because the level will be stronger, or you could set the pan in the Kontakt player to center and then record either channel.
    DPDAN
    Print this and keep it in your manual.
    This is a list of the GPO instruments and their STEREO / MONO status as currently available in the October 2004 update...
    This stereo / mono status list pertains to the dry folder. Any instruments used from the WET folder will be stereo, but only because of the Ambience reverb.

All Flutes MONO

All English Horns MONO

All Oboes MONO except...
    Oboe 2 Modern Solo and Oboe 3 Modern Solo (STEREO)

All Clarinets MONO
    All Bassoons MONO
    All French Horns MONO except...
    Overlay F, Overlay F AG, and Overlay FF (STEREO)

All Trumpets MONO except...
    Overlay, Overlay AG, TPT Piccolo NV Solo and TPT Piccolo V Solo (STEREO)

All Trombones MONO except...
    Overlay and Overlay AG (STEREO)

All Tubas MONO except...
    Overlay and Overlay AG (STEREO)

All Percussion Instruments STEREO except Snares KS (MONO)
    All Harps STEREO
    All Pianos STEREO
    All Pipe Organs STEREO
    All solo Violins MONO except... Violin 2 Strad Pizz Solo (STEREO)
    All solo Violas MONO
    All solo Cellos MONO
    All solo Basses MONO
    All section Strings STEREO

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    What is a clock setting? Is that like 44.1 khz/16 bit or something? I have no other FX running except for EQ.

I'M CONFUSED!!

-Chris

What I meant is which clock/sync setting do you use? In the options of your cakewalk product, you should have a choice of settings, such as, internal, midi, sound card. When I use Sonar 4, the selection seems to be automatic (unless I have set a global option and forgotten).

Richard

Go Back to forum