• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help! Can't get GPO to work with Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

Help! Can't get GPO to work with Sibelius

Apologies if this is another lot of newbie questions. I've searched the site and forums and found a couple of useful threads and tutorials on getting GPO to work with Sibelius, but I have failed to translate this into success on my PC:

- GPO (just purchased), Sibelius 3.1.3, Sonar2
    - Windows XP, 2.4GHz, 1Gb+ RAM, 80Gb disk
    - M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard

Paul Bergel's excellent tutorial just confirms that I seemed to be doing all the right things but the problems I have are:

1. Despite the fact that I get the expected/appropriate sounds from the 'Test' button (>Play>Devices) I don't get any sounds when playing the Sibelius score itself. I have set the Device in the mixer to GPO Studio 1 and chosen (in this case) flute etc. but nothing comes out on my 'test' score (based on the tutorial). I have got the channels set properly between GPO and the Sibelius mixer.

I've also tried to apply GPO to an existing score but the mixer doesn't even recognise (list) any GPO Studio devices.

I've switched between the GPO setting to 'Ignore Mod Wheel' and the default setting (having moved the mod wheel up to increase volume)

2. My second problem is that I now get no sounds at all from any Sibelius scores even when just loading and playing them (without touching anything on the mixer), so even the non-GPO default MIDI sounds are not working. Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if I could get GPO/Sib to talk to each other.

3. To top it all, I now cannot input anything into Sibelius via the MIDI keyboard (despite the green test bars showing activity under >Play>Devices in Sibelius).

I've got GPO working wonderfully on Sonar2 and believe I have followed all instructions (and certainly done everything on PB's tutorial) to achieve success with Sibelius but have so far completely failed.

Please don't assume much technical knowledge on my part but any help/hints/tips would be really appreciated. Both GPO and Sibelius are excellent packages but at the moment their 'union' is frustrating me beyond belief!

Many thanks.

Kevin

Re: Help! Can't get GPO to work with Sibelius

No direct help but two suggestions:

You may want to post here:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...splay.php?f=43

And you may want to give Overture SE a try (assuming you have it). GPO and Overture are a marriage made in heaven. Seriously.

On the other hand, I understand the love of a program...

Good luck.

Thanks for the link - I will look at that and see what it delivers.

My task for today is to try Overture (came with GPO) and check that that works which will elliminate further avenues of enquiry and focus the probably (probably) more on Sibelius.

K

Overture works perfectly. Back to the Sibelius drawing board! Thinking about reinstalling Sibelius although I'm not overly hopeful that this will resolve the problem. Watch this space ...

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KevinJWalke
    Overture works perfectly. Back to the Sibelius drawing board! Thinking about reinstalling Sibelius although I'm not overly hopeful that this will resolve the problem. Watch this space ...

Kevin
    Have you tried asking on the Sibelius chat page as I know some of the users there have GPO? I can't help as I don't use Sib for playback.

D

Kevin,

Thanks for posting. It seems like something is awry with the configuration with Sibelius.

First check to see that each instrument is correctly organised in Sibelius’ mixer to play back into the correct player and the correct MIDI channel. Try clicking on a few keys on the Kontakt keyboard once you have a sample loaded, In the mixer settings, you may need to Reset Sounds in the Mixer.

Check the more recent tutorial
    Using GPO with Sibelius 3 Tutorial by James Humberstone which deals specifically with Sibelius 3.

I hope this helps. If you need further help please email me and we'll troubleshoot the problems and get you going.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by KevinJWalke
    Apologies if this is another lot of newbie questions. I've searched the site and forums and found a couple of useful threads and tutorials on getting GPO to work with Sibelius, but I have failed to translate this into success on my PC:

- GPO (just purchased), Sibelius 3.1.3, Sonar2
    - Windows XP, 2.4GHz, 1Gb+ RAM, 80Gb disk
    - M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard

Paul Bergel's excellent tutorial just confirms that I seemed to be doing all the right things but the problems I have are:

1. Despite the fact that I get the expected/appropriate sounds from the 'Test' button (>Play>Devices) I don't get any sounds when playing the Sibelius score itself. I have set the Device in the mixer to GPO Studio 1 and chosen (in this case) flute etc. but nothing comes out on my 'test' score (based on the tutorial). I have got the channels set properly between GPO and the Sibelius mixer.

I've also tried to apply GPO to an existing score but the mixer doesn't even recognise (list) any GPO Studio devices.

I've switched between the GPO setting to 'Ignore Mod Wheel' and the default setting (having moved the mod wheel up to increase volume)

2. My second problem is that I now get no sounds at all from any Sibelius scores even when just loading and playing them (without touching anything on the mixer), so even the non-GPO default MIDI sounds are not working. Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if I could get GPO/Sib to talk to each other.

3. To top it all, I now cannot input anything into Sibelius via the MIDI keyboard (despite the green test bars showing activity under >Play>Devices in Sibelius).

I've got GPO working wonderfully on Sonar2 and believe I have followed all instructions (and certainly done everything on PB's tutorial) to achieve success with Sibelius but have so far completely failed.

Please don't assume much technical knowledge on my part but any help/hints/tips would be really appreciated. Both GPO and Sibelius are excellent packages but at the moment their 'union' is frustrating me beyond belief!

Many thanks.

Kevin

Thank you to all who replied. I was also enquiring on the Sibelius site and Scott Cameron came to my rescue with the answer. It was a Sibelius issue (although not a 'fault') around setting the MIDI to always be 'owned' by Sibelius. Such a simple thing but something that stopped me in my tracks!

The tutorials on this site were also very helpful and encouraging to confirm I was doing the right things, so thatnks for them.

Now I've sorted Sibelius out, GPO is an excellent package!

Cheers.

Kevin

Go Back to forum