• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Brazillian Jazz for Fl/Pno

Share/Bookmark

Post Brazillian Jazz for Fl/Pno

Here are the other 2 movements of my Flute Sonatina.
    A Samba (1st Movt) and a Bossa Nova (2nd Movt).

The Chorinho will be the finale.

The Samba uses Sonata form (or a version of it).
    The Bossa Nova features an improvised solo, that has been painstakingly written out.

I have been told there is a great demand from classical musicians for "real" Jazz music adapted to classical muso's, so this is my take on it.

I think I may have found a publisher for it, so I am holding off posting the pdf of the score for now. If anyone feels they would like to see it, send me a private message, and I will e-mail it to you.

Samba

Bossa Nova

Chorinho

Any comments would be welcome.

edit 3rd movt added as instructed by etLux.
    regards Joe

Re: Brazillian Jazz for Fl/Pno

Beautifully written, Joaz!

The samba surprised me -- it thrives on the modified sonata form; and that bossa nova is... simply gorgeous, one of the most engaging flute solos I have heard in quite a long while (love the ending).

My applause! I have listened several times to these, my friend.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Joaz,

Boy, I would love to hear this with a real flute player! The harmonic language of both pieces is to die for (old Jazz musician talking here) and they have a wonderful form. These go in my personal favorites folder. Thanks for posting them.

Tom

These two pieces are simply outstanding! Wonderful! Thank you.

LouisD

joaz,

Your writing is outstanding. Talk about first class!

Hope all goes well with the publishing. I would like to see the score and of course post these on the GPO demo page.

I can't wait to hear what you will do with the Jazz and Big Band library.

Thanks for posting these.

Bravo!

Gary Garritan

Very nice! My kind of music! I enjoyed both of your compositions very much. Masterful chordal progressions!

Where are the Latin drums?

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Beautifully written, Joaz!

The samba surprised me -- it thrives on the modified sonata form;
    Thank you etLux for the listen and attention given.I thought it would be a good challenge to use the Jazz content in a strict form,rather than have an impressionistic wallow in lush harmony.
    Sonata form is a very flexible idea,whose rules and conventions are often broken by the better writers.
    As i often say to my students: " If you learn and understand the rules you can break them with greater authority"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Joaz,

Boy, I would love to hear this with a real flute player! The harmonic language of both pieces is to die for......

Tom
    Thanks Tom for the appreciation.I am fortunate in having 2 flute playing friends who are total vituoso's on the instrument,and I hope to get a recording of the flute part soon.
    My pet name for the Samba is "Rachmaninof in Rio". I learnt quite recently that one of my Piano idols,Bill Evans,used to warm up for an hour by playing Rach,which certainly gives a great insight into Bill's harmonic language.
    Surprisingly it is the first time I have ever tried to accurately notate my own piano playing,and it gave me quite a few head-scratchy moments
    regards

Joaz:

Really great pieces--very enjoyable and the flute solo was really outstanding both in melodic content and GPO recording.

I don't have any criticisms, but I would have loved to have heard a good bass line as a "trio." I think that would have freed up your piano a lot, especially in spots where the flute is resting. But, if it's just a piano and flute score, so be it. Just my opinion.

Your music has always been excellent.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Joaz:

but I would have loved to have heard a good bass line as a "trio."

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Where are the Latin drums?
    Thanks Rhap and Larry for your kind words.It reaaly does mean a lot.

OK here is the thing, For my profession I run a Brazillian jazz band called "Sirius B". It has Drums ,Percussion, Bass,Piano, Horns, Vocals,and everyone plays percussion in the Batucada's(Drums and Percussion Only Bits).
    We have released 4 albums,with a reasonable degree of success.Played Montreux Jazz Festival,Have a publishing deal in Japan,where we still have 4 albums in the HMVBrasillian Chart and blah blah you get the general idea.This has been my life for the last 8 years.
    So just this once,I wanted to leave the noisy bast**ds behind and do some things that are hard to pull off in a band format.
    If you look into the average Jazz Drummers eyes and start talking about Sonata form,you can see them glaze over ,I swear.
    Having said all that,there were times in the writing when I truly yearned for the bass Player to lay down the Samba Groove for me,and for the drummer to give it some surdo to define the off-beats .
    But what I lost in Groove,I gained in formal flexability.
    If you would like to hear some of my band stuff,type Sirius B into Google.We normally are the first site offered.

mutter,mutter,"I dunno,I do one lousy piece without the band,and everyone is like,"wheres the band at",mutter mutter,I dunno gimme another beer".......
    regards

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast