• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dual Monitor Wish List Item

Share/Bookmark

Dual Monitor Wish List Item

It seems a lot of us have dual monitor adapters in our GSt machines. Wouldn\'t it be great if GSt supported this capability. The ability to \"tile-off\" parts of the program on a multiple display machine would allow increased productivity by enabling the user to access different modules without having to navigate by clicking on settings and tabs.

You would be able to:

View all the channels on all the ports at the same time.

Mix any channel on any port without switching back and forth.

Adjust parameters in DSP and Midi Mixing to achieve the desired result without having to constantly switch between views (a very unintuitive way to work).

Dedicate an entire screen to the instrument database in order to properly explore, audition and compare the full range of available samples in a collection.

These are just a few of the more obvious applications of dual monitor support. I really think it would enhance the product and the quality of the user experience. Does anyone else agree?

blabla

[This message has been edited by blabla (edited 03-25-2001).]

Re: Dual Monitor Wish List Item

A more practical application of dual moniter would be giga on one screen, sequencer/audio tracks on the other. As many here can run giga and cakewalk pro audio together, this would be feasable using a Geforce 2 MX video card with twinview (under $150). Variations of this card let you run two moniters or moniter and TV. So if you had an extra 19\" TV, you might use that instead of buying a second moniter. I\'d look for the 64 meg versions of this card instead of 32 meg if you think you may try dual moniters. It will be interesting to see if and when there will be a Geforce 3 MX board released and if it will have twinview. I\'m all for more features for giga, however I think they need to stabilize and optimize the program first before adding more features that may slow it down and cut down polyphony.

Doc,

I\'m using the Matrox G400 Max and am very satisfied. I think you\'re right; optimization, stabilization and polyphony rule. But for those that plan to ultimately dedicate a dual monitor machine to GSt, it would be nice to be able to take advantage of the increased screen realestate as well as a more seamless interaction with the application.

blabla

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doc:
    A more practical application of dual moniter would be giga on one screen, sequencer/audio tracks on the other. As many here can run giga and cakewalk pro audio together, this would be feasable using a Geforce 2 MX video card with twinview (under $150). Variations of this card let you run two moniters or moniter and TV. So if you had an extra 19\" TV, you might use that instead of buying a second moniter. I\'d look for the 64 meg versions of this card instead of 32 meg if you think you may try dual moniters. It will be interesting to see if and when there will be a Geforce 3 MX board released and if it will have twinview. I\'m all for more features for giga, however I think they need to stabilize and optimize the program first before adding more features that may slow it down and cut down polyphony.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can already approximate what you want to do. When gigastudio has loaded, click the icon that windows the app (instead of it running full screen) - the one just between the \"minimize\" and \"close\" icons. Then grab the right border of GSt and drag in onto your other screen.

GSt now extends accross both screens. This is a bit of a drag since you have to do it each time you start GSt, but then you can move the internal borders to position things pretty much as you like.

cc,

You\'re right, you can expand the GSt window across both screens but that\'s where it ends.

You can\'t display or manipulate more than one midi port at a time.

You can\'t adjust parameters in DSP and midi mixing without without having to switch views.

You don\'t gain any more useable space in the instrument database view, it\'s the same long horizontal frame except that the right hand side is blank.

My suggestion is to be able to \"tile-off\" the various sub-windows in order to enable simultaneous views of multiple ports, multiple dsp settings and a full screen of instrument data. Wouldn\'t you benefit from the ability to view the mix levels of all 64 midi channels at the same time, as though it were a real-world automated board? Or being able to manipulate dsp parameters and mix levels to get that \"perfect sound\" without having to constantly switch screens.

In essence, I\'m suggesting that GSt modules be treated and manipulated like folders on the desktop. That would enable users to take advantage of however much realestate their computer provided, as well as giving them the opportunity to customize the application to their style of working.

Hi Folks - When using a Matrox Millennium G400 display adapter in Windows with two monitors, applications can appear across both monitors when maximized, and exhibit window behavior that is different than other Multiple-Monitor setups. The G400 display adapter has two outputs for monitors and utilizes only a single graphics chip, and so the driver effectively sees both monitors as a single desktop, stretched across both
    monitors.

Multiple-Monitor setups in Windows by definition, use two or more separate and independent video display adapters, that create two or more semi-independent desktops. For instance, with two:

These \"Primary\" and \"Secondary\" desktops interact with each other, and have their own coordinate set, with each set\'s coordinate values (to locate things onscreen), depending on monitor orientation, size and
    resolution. \"0,0\" is the lower-left corner of the \"Primary\" monitor.

If I\'m not mistaken, in order to get what Blabla wants, that is to feature independent top-level windows - windows that would be visually independent from GSt\'s main application window (for separate port and DSP windows that could exist outside the main GSt window, on a second monitor for instance) - would need some serious reprogramming involving changes from a SDI (single Document Interface) to an MDI (Multiple Document Interface). Maybe GSt for XP?

Steve Mitchell
    The Classical MIDI Resource
    The CMR Players

Fixed boo-boo by adding \"can\"

[This message has been edited by SteveMitchell (edited 03-27-2001).]

> When using a Matrox Millennium G400 display adapter in Windows with two
    > monitors, applications appear across both monitors when maximized

Actually, that’s not true. Applications can be maximized on either display. The taskbar only appears on one display.

Matrox dual monitor support under Win2K is another mater. It’s one of the main reasons I moved back to Win98se (at my regular job).

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 03-27-2001).]

Bill,

What issues did you experience with Win2K? I haven\'t researched this at all. I just assummed that the functionality would be the same as 98.

Don\'t know that much about the Matrox card but if interested in a Nvidia Geforce 2 MX video card with \"twinview\", you should check out the Leadtek \"Winfast Geforce 2 MX DH Pro\" part number LR-2834. This dual VGA connector plus TV out, 32 meg of 5ns SDRAM video card has had good reviews from creditable hardware sites. The retail box card comes with heatsink / fan and is very overclockable for those into that. Just checked today, its $149 at Best Buy and around $128 on pricewatch. You can see specs and alittle about \"twinview\" at their website www.leadtek.com. and no I do not own their stock, I\'m currently upgrading and through my research, this cardseems to fit my needs the best.

Another website to check out this card and twinview is: www.tweak3d.net/reviews/leadtek/geforce2mxdhpro/

Go Back to forum