• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ethernet Midi interface driver

Share/Bookmark

Ethernet Midi interface driver

Hi

I have read previously about a driver program that allows one to route midi over ethernet. However, I am unable to find it (except MidiViaNet, which only does 1 midi port). Any pointers?

To my mind it would be easier connecting two computers with ethernet, and have a driver that gives you 4 midi ports (say) on both ends, rather than investing in 2 4port interfaces. Especially for people dedicating a machine to giga.

[This message has been edited by cc (edited 03-26-2001).]

Re: Ethernet Midi interface driver

Great question. I downloaded, but did not yet install MidiViaNet. I\'d love to see a multiport midi/ethernet solution. It seems like a no-brainer: reduced hardware investment, superfast communication protocol and enormously simplified cabling with no length limitations.

Anybody have any hot leads?

A few months back, I managed to set up four instances of MidiViaNet (MVN) between two computers, using the same IP information but different port information. This let me playback on four midi channels on four different ports (I was just seeing whether I could do it at all, not test the limits of the setup...). The problem is that it took me about ten minutes to set it up…. Had to keep checking IP and port assignments back and forth. I could probably get it down to about two minutes, but still that’s a little ridiculous. It is also ridiculous that I have to use TWO programs to accomplish the hookup…. Hubi’s Midi Feedback driver to get stuff from my sequencer to MVN, then MVN to go from computer to computer, then Hubi’s again to get from MVN to GS160. I would like to see ONE piece of software with built in Midi drivers, where you just tell it how many midi ports you want, and then it takes care of all negotiation with the other computer(s) to make it happen. Any developers out there with Midi and Network programming experience: This would be something that every Giga user with two computers would be willing to pay money for! Excellent shareware opportunity!

Hey cc,

I found a very, very interesting article on networking midi as well as audio. It\'s on the keyboard magazine site and it deals with a firewire based protocol called mLan. Check it out I think you will find it interesting.

http://www.keyboardmag.com/features/mlan/index.shtml

Hey Guys:

I\'ve been very frustrated by this problem too. So I did some experimentation. Having some rather extensive high level programming experience with networking I decided to try write some of my own drivers.

I didn\'t get down to the device driver level, which would be optimal. But I did write something similar to MidiViaNet, although it\'s much simpler to implement.

First, I installed MidiYoke on both machines. MidiYoke is a little more versatile and a lot more reliable than Hubi. Then I wrote a C++ application to communicate between two computers via named pipes. This application could be configured and put in the Startup folder so there\'s no need to fool with it again after the initial setup.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be less than wonderful. It turns out that there\'s too much wierd crap going on over even a simple network to make this work with the knowledge I have. Named pipe communication is subordinate to basic networking tasks, such as browser elections and LMHOST messages. So it just proved to be too unreliable.

However, I haven\'t given up yet. There\'s no reason we can do 100 or more MIDI channels over a 100mbit fast ehternet wire.

Stay tuned...

Peace,
    Tim
    http://www.elithic.com

I should have said that there\'s no reason we *can\'t* do 100 MIDI channels over a fast ethernet wire... sorry.

Peace,
    Tim
    http://www.elithic.com

Any news on such a virtual 4-way midi port?

Or does everyone still have to buy 2 midi interfaces?

Hello Leon,

There is an app called MIDI Replicator that works over TCP/IP. There is a free demo that gives you one \"netpipe\" (equivalent of a port) and the full version provides 8 netpipes (ports).

Check it out here:

Music Lab MIDI Replicator

Kevin

I\'m beginnig a Ph.D in this area, not only with midi but also with audio over ethernet.

I have already contact Nemesys to make a GSIF driver that work with ethernet cards, but still no response [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Hi,
    I no longer even have a MIDI interface on my GSt 96 machine. I am using MIDI Replicator exclusively. It\'s working well for me.

Well worth the $29 when you eventually decide to buy.

Take care,
    Mark

Originally posted by pmuse:
    Hello Leon,

There is an app called MIDI Replicator that works over TCP/IP. There is a free demo that gives you one \"netpipe\" (equivalent of a port) and the full version provides 8 netpipes (ports).

Check it out here:

Music Lab MIDI Replicator

Kevin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Go Back to forum