• Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: great progressive rock today?

Share/Bookmark

great progressive rock today?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    while on a recent road trip I was listening to "the yes album"
    I haven't heard it in a while. I can't believe how good it sounds by todays standards. and its what 25-30 yrs old??!!
    is anyone making music like this anymore? - i really never tried searching but what is that state of progressive rock today?

Re: great progressive rock today?

I was just listening to "Fragile" a couple of night ago and thinking exactly the same thing. I also listened to some King Crimson stuff - "Islands" and "Starless and Bible Black." And Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) - "Photos of Ghosts."

All produced when musicianship counted for something.

Like you, I never really tried seeking out modern stuff like this. Is anyone writing and producing music like this today? Good question...

Thanks for reminding me about "The Yes Album." Another one to add to my must-buy list :-)

Kind regards.

Musicianship still counts for a lot.

But 35 years later, progressive rock is now regressive.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's, my mom asked me "Who do you think will stand the test of time?"

I said "Rush, Yes, Genesis" (and later) "Sting (to some degree)"
    Pretty dead on so far...if I may say...

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Jo and I consider Anderson as one of the greatest classical composers of the late 20th century.

...and here when the "Fragile" was referenced I thought all y'all were talking about Nine Inch Nails. YES was popular alittle before my time.

My fav modern prog band would have to be Dream Theater. CHeck out their album "Metroopolis Pt. II: Scenes From A Memory"... that's one of the best albums of the last ten years IMO. Right up there with Muse's "Absolution".
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Check out http://www.artist-shop.com to find some of the current crop of progressive rock bands and their wares.

-JF

Current prog bands that I like: Echolyn, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings (the latter two don't exactly have the best lyrics, but they've created some great musical material).

Does anyone know any stuff by TOOL? The stuff I've heard on the radio sounds very interesting. Any recommendations?

Ern
    Ern, TOOL is one of top ten bands ever. Check out "Aenima" from them, that's their best to date, with "Lateralus" coming in second. If you get a chance to see their DVD, there's some great stuff on there too, their videos are like, if Trent Reznor and Salvador Dali had a red-headed love-child - that would be a tool video.

Does anyone know any stuff by TOOL? The stuff I've heard on the radio sounds very interesting. Any recommendations?

Ern
    Tool is easily one of my favorite bands. There are a few imitators, but they are great. Lateralus is a great album. So is Aenemia. All of them are great, but those two are the most recent representation of them. Even if you don't like music videos, you'd enjoy theirs also. Their songs contain different melodies sometimes in the same song. Hard to explain. Their singer, and drummer I think, also are in Perfect Circle, another great band, but not as great as Tool. Just excellent though. Check them out, and read your private message Ern.

Wow....It looks like y'all beat me to it!!!!
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast