• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A million thanks

Share/Bookmark

Re: A million thanks

I hadn't heard of VRSound before and i'm checking out the demos. Some very good stuff there indeed

Thanks for posting Vipin. Congrats on your success

Edit: Heheh, aren't "binaural" recordings the same as Stereo? I wonder why they call them like that :-)
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    Heheh, aren't "binaural" recordings the same as Stereo? I wonder why they call them like that :-)
    That's what one might think, but in my understanding, the filtering of frequencies that travel through the head (or dummy head) has a huge impact on stereo imaging. As a result, recordings made with a set of binaural mics worn on the head tend to sound like you're "right there" when listened to in headphones. Correct me if I'm wrong....this was explained-not demonstrated- to me by someone who does way too much explaining and not nearly enough demonstrating.

Belbin

Thaks guys,

I thought Binaural was exactly the same as recording a stereo pair: Bi-Aural

Interesting concept placing the mics like that; it seems like a very logical thing to do.

So... lets say you wanna record something in 5.1 surround, do you send 4 people to each corner of the hall with mics on their heads?
    I'd hate to be the "Far" mic and having to run all the stairs up and down in a concert hall.
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Binaural really only works when you wear headphones to listen. As far as I can remember, Tangerine Dream released an album recorded in this way. I used to have it, but I can't recall the name...

Kind regards.

Binaural sound relies on a model of a human head, detailed at least to the level of having ears with earlobes, etc. and having a similar mass and smoothness. Suffice it to say the main manufacturer of Binaural heads is Neumann. Two omni condenser mics in the ears and you've got a binaural array.

Is the result worth the hassle (and extra expense of buying a head?) I just know I like the way I can adjust the pan and spread of the VRSounds libs I have, they can be sent back or brought forward easily without conflicting with the other tracks. And they sound good both in phones and through speakers.

I don't know how Franz records his samples (it's more involved than just using a standard recording technique like the binaural process.) But they do sit well in a mix.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    Thaks guys,

I thought Binaural was exactly the same as recording a stereo pair: Bi-Aural
    Guess the last couple of posts clarify where I didn't-glorified stereo.
    For 5.1 I guess you'd need four people with single mics and 1 person with a monaural ear to the ground.

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    Guess the last couple of posts clarify where I didn't-glorified stereo.
    For 5.1 I guess you'd need four people with single mics and 1 person with a monaural ear to the ground.

Belbin
    Hahaha, good one
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Well man, its up to you i guess.

Here's a few sites from the top of my head that you might want to check out as well. They offer great quality, others are more expensive, others cheaper.

www.BeladMedia.com
    www.PostPiano.com
    www.ProjectSam.com
    www.Sampletekk.com
    www.Garritan.com
    www.SonicImplants.com
    www.Spectrasonics.net
    www.Soundsonline.com
    www.Vsl.co.at
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts