• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and Sibelius 3 - No Sound

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy GPO and Sibelius 3 - No Sound

One night GPO Studio and Sibelius 3.1.3 work flawlessly.

The next morning I get no sounds out of the same combination.

First, I launch GPO Studio and load an instrument into the first slot. At this point, playing the Kontact virtual keyboard produces sound.

Next, Sibelius is launched. I go to Play > Devices. GPO Studio 1-8 are set to "Yes"; all other devices are set to "No". I "Test" GPO Studio 1 - no sound is produced. (Also the Kontact virtual keyboard is silent). As a test I re-engage the the MIDI Express XT for my synth. It works. I deselect it and go back to GPO Studio. Nothing.

I go to the mixer. For the flute, in this case, the Device is GPO Studio 1 and the Channel is 1 (the same slot as GPO Studio). I "test" and there is no sound. With Playback of the score there is no sound.

As another test, I close down Sibelius and try the already open GPO Studio with Finale 2005. No sound. I close Finale and GPO Studio, re-lauch GPO Studio and then Finale - works fine. It's as if Sibelius is closing a port on the system

I have had GPO since it first came out and have no problems running it as a stand alone or with Finale 2005 or Sonar 4.

Any ideas? Last night it worked; today it doesn't.

Jonathan

Re: GPO and Sibelius 3 - No Sound

Quote Originally Posted by shearwater
    One night GPO Studio and Sibelius 3.1.3 work flawlessly.

The next morning I get no sounds out of the same combination.

First, I launch GPO Studio and load an instrument into the first slot. At this point, playing the Kontact virtual keyboard produces sound.

Next, Sibelius is launched. I go to Play > Devices. GPO Studio 1-8 are set to "Yes"; all other devices are set to "No". I "Test" GPO Studio 1 - no sound is produced. (Also the Kontact virtual keyboard is silent). As a test I re-engage the the MIDI Express XT for my synth. It works. I deselect it and go back to GPO Studio. Nothing.

I go to the mixer. For the flute, in this case, the Device is GPO Studio 1 and the Channel is 1 (the same slot as GPO Studio). I "test" and there is no sound. With Playback of the score there is no sound.

As another test, I close down Sibelius and try the already open GPO Studio with Finale 2005. No sound. I close Finale and GPO Studio, re-lauch GPO Studio and then Finale - works fine. It's as if Sibelius is closing a port on the system

I have had GPO since it first came out and have no problems running it as a stand alone or with Finale 2005 or Sonar 4.

Any ideas? Last night it worked; today it doesn't.

Jonathan

Well, I just noticed your problem. I use Sibelius 3 and Sonar 4, it works well. It is late now, but tomorrow, I will try working with GPO and Sibelius to see if I can find out what the problem is. First thought is, when you open the mixer select the reset sound option.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, I just noticed your problem. I use Sibelius 3 and Sonar 4, it works well. It is late now, but tomorrow, I will try working with GPO and Sibelius to see if I can find out what the problem is. First thought is, when you open the mixer select the reset sound option.

Richard
    Different day - same problem. I am maxed out on frustration level. I spent 90 minutes troubleshooting the problem this morning to no avail.
    System:
    P4 2.4 GHz
    1.25 GB of RAM
    XP Home
    MOTU Express XT MIDI Interface
    RME DIGI 96 I/O card w/ ASIO drivers
    I use GPO with Sonar 4 and Finale 2005 without problems.
    I cannot get any sounds out of GPO in Sibelius 3.1.3. I have gone through the Tutorials countless times trying to find something I may have missed but the process is straightforward. I have rebooted thinking a port may have been "stuck" open. Nothing helps.

Jonathan

Re: GPO and Sibelius 3 - No Sound - FIXED

I checked the Help Center at the Sibelius web site (why didn't I do this earlier?). I knew I couldn't be alone! Another individual struggled with this for two weeks. I benefit from his trials. It seems that Sibelius and GPO Studio are fussy about GPO Studio's Buffer Size being in sync with what the sound card's buffer size is set to. In my case GPO Studio was set to 256 while my ASIO driver on my card is at 512. Setting the GPO to 512 solves the "No Sound" issue. Of course, why other applications I use GPO Studio with have no problem with the unequal buffer size is another matter.

Jonathan

Different day - same problem. I am maxed out on frustration level. I spent 90 minutes troubleshooting the problem this morning to no avail.
    System:
    P4 2.4 GHz
    1.25 GB of RAM
    XP Home
    MOTU Express XT MIDI Interface
    RME DIGI 96 I/O card w/ ASIO drivers
    I use GPO with Sonar 4 and Finale 2005 without problems.
    I cannot get any sounds out of GPO in Sibelius 3.1.3. I have gone through the Tutorials countless times trying to find something I may have missed but the process is straightforward. I have rebooted thinking a port may have been "stuck" open. Nothing helps.

Jonathan
    Just a thought - how do you have "Play>Devices>Play in Background set"? Mine is set to "Always" and I have no trouble: on other settings I have experienced similar problems (though I have Cubase and not Sonar.) I hope this might help.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by chasman1
    Just a thought - how do you have "Play>Devices>Play in Background set"? Mine is set to "Always" and I have no trouble: on other settings I have experienced similar problems (though I have Cubase and not Sonar.) I hope this might help.

Peter
    That is "Play>Devices>Play in Background" in Sibelius, of course!

Peter

Re: GPO and Sibelius 3 - No Sound - FIXED

I checked the Help Center at the Sibelius web site (why didn't I do this earlier?). I knew I couldn't be alone! Another individual struggled with this for two weeks. I benefit from his trials. It seems that Sibelius and GPO Studio are fussy about GPO Studio's Buffer Size being in sync with what the sound card's buffer size is set to. In my case GPO Studio was set to 256 while my ASIO driver on my card is at 512. Setting the GPO to 512 solves the "No Sound" issue. Of course, why other applications I use GPO Studio with have no problem with the unequal buffer size is another matter.

Jonathan
    Well, I thought I could provide help, but instead, I have learned something! Thanks!

I had not encountered that particular problem because I mostly use GPO with Sonar 2 or Sonar 4.

Richard

Go Back to forum