• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 on its own PC??

Share/Bookmark

GS3 on its own PC??

I've read that GS3 works best on a dedicated PC. That's a route i'm not willing to take at the moment.

I do however have a PC with 3 SATA hard drives at 160GB each.

How many of you run GS3 on the same PC as your sampler?
    Should I have any trouble with all the extra room?

Thanks.

Re: GS3 on its own PC??

what are the specs for the pc? what else do you plan to run at the same time as gigastudio?

I run sonar with gigastudio on one pc and samplitude with gigastudio on another; both combinations work fine.

I recently did a ten minute film score in a weekend, running GS3 and Sonar full time and Vegas/SoundForge on occassion. I didn't reboot the machine or restart GS3 the whole time. Solid as a rock.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35517

-JF

Ahhh, master jon, but what was your largest instrumentation and polyphony #? And what was your HW configuration? and how many tracks could you record at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I recently did a ten minute film score in a weekend, running GS3 and Sonar full time and Vegas/SoundForge on occassion. I didn't reboot the machine or restart GS3 the whole time. Solid as a rock.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35517

-JF

I'm not entirely sure why this recommendation of having a computer dedicated solely to giga is so prevalent... it is perfectly workable to run a fully loaded GS3 together with a sequencer, notation program, and even the internet all running simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    Ahhh, master jon, but what was your largest instrumentation and polyphony #? And what was your HW configuration? and how many tracks could you record at the same time?
    I was recording to MIDI one track at a time. Regarding poly, I'm not sure. Listen to the video. I had a fair amount of percussion, plus strings and brass, piano going on. I used two GPulse instances for ambience, plus one of Larry Seyer's kit resonances. And I did the whole thing with a video window.

A separate computer will certainly give more performance - especially if you aren't running video at the same time. But the bottom line is that GS3 works with other stuff going on.

-JF

Thanks guys, that all I wanted to know.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    I'm not entirely sure why this recommendation of having a computer dedicated solely to giga is so prevalent... it is perfectly workable to run a fully loaded GS3 together with a sequencer, notation program, and even the internet all running simultaneously.
    For me, that does not work, but I am generally also running a substantial video stream, many disk-based tracks, and making use of lots of GigaPulse.

At that point, there is just so much going on that it is clumsy and cumbersome. Getting Giga and all of its overhead onto another machine frees up the DAW machine to do a good job streaming the video and tracks.

Go Back to forum